Show off your fixed blades!

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Berryb

Re: Show off your fixed blades!

Post by Berryb »

Before I actively collected knives I had a knife collection. Mostly knives and multi tools as go withs for my fishing tackle collection. I thought about posting those but there is nothin' in there that isn't already in the fishing knife thread. But I also had these:
A Simson & Co. bayonet my grampa picked up in France in WWI. Notice the saw edge along the top, These are mentioned in "all Quiet On The Western Front" German troops were under the impression that if they were captured with one of these they would be shot on the spot.
A British made rubber raft survival knife. I found it at a yard sale 25 years ago for a buck, could of had 6 or 7 more, still kickin' myself.
A Japanese carved ivory knife my mom got at an auction in the mid-60s. A friend of mine says he thinks it was made after japan opened up to the west for sale at a worlds fair.
Thanks
Bruce
Attachments
IMG_4227 - Copy.JPG
IMG_4228 - Copy.JPG
Producer

Post by Producer »

Very Nice Berryb!
Thanks
I never met a Schrade I didn't like
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Nice pieces Bruce!As I recall the sawback bayonets were supposed to be taken and have the teeth ground off after the war as per the Geneva Convention rules or something like that. That looks like a Mauser bayonet;I have one made by Gottleib Hammesfahr. Those raft knives would have likely yielded a tidy profit but I think we all have had instances like that. At least you got one.
The Japanese tanto(I think that is what it is)looks to be made of carved,"pachyderm canine projections" aka the"I" word)and likely very valuable. Problem is it is difficult if not impossible nowadays to sell items made of said material. I wouldn't sell it anyway if I owned it.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

tongueriver wrote:
LongBlade wrote:Great looking knife Terry ::tu:: ::tu:: ... top notch knife and sheath as always!!! Love the buffalo horn handles that were found in the river and used - thats extra cool!!
Yes, that is a beauty for sure. Love it. Just want to be sure that I understand correctly: stabilized bison horn BONE CORE, right?
TR. that's right, the horn was long gone and just the skull and horn core are left.
This really old stuff and had been under water for a long time? Still good and sold and full of sand and gravel. Just guessing that the buffalo probably broke through the ice or the Indians drove them off a cliff and killed them, who knows. ::handshake:: Terry
Attachments
DSC_0599.JPG
DSC_0600.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Terry...that story and Your Workmanship on that knife, (all your knives) is outstanding !!!
If in I was gonna have a fixed blade knife made,, you would be the
craftsman that I would pursue for the task.
Blade pattern when I first seen it jumped out to me (production knives) between a Case XX 5361
and a Marble's FieldCraft, wider but with that up turn tip
Really cool stuff with the scale material

Will
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/clearcreekknives
TheMadHungarian

Post by TheMadHungarian »

Here's one of my favorites, it's been with me constantly since I bought it in the late 80s early 90s when Bud Nealy went fulltime as a maker. 1 of 7 Custom Blued 01 Akuchi with a distally tapered tang with black linen micarta tucked under dovetailed bolsters.
DSC_6490.JPG
DSC_6497.JPG
DSC_6489 - Edited (1).jpg
The ball chain allows me to wear it as a necker but the way I wear it most is with the para cord wrapped ball chain as a static line attached to my belt with the blade and sheath tucked into a pocket. This allows me to grab the handle of the knife and pull, the sheath drops away leaving the knife in my hand ready to go.

Another favorite, a sterile EK model 5 Combat Bowie I've had and used for nearly 30 years
DSC_8491.JPG
A few more of my favorites

CPK (Carother's Performance Knives) Drop Point Skinner with Osage slabs.
DSC_7145.JPG
BK2 with custom Black Want scales I made from a downed tree in my yard
DSC_7878.JPG
Koster Custom Bushcraft Knife
s-martin m2.jpg
The EK with a SYKCO 311 and my PT111 Millenium
100_2364.JPG
My Old Man told me when I was a kid, "You can spend your entire life convincing someone how smart you are but it only takes a second to prove you're an idiot."....................You can call me Ted.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

stagman wrote:Terry...that story and Your Workmanship on that knife, (all your knives) is outstanding !!!
If in I was gonna have a fixed blade knife made,, you would be the
craftsman that I would pursue for the task.
Blade pattern when I first seen it jumped out to me (production knives) between a Case XX 5361
and a Marble's FieldCraft, wider but with that up turn tip
Really cool stuff with the scale material

Will
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/clearcreekknives
will and Lee, thanks for the comments, If you ever need another knife let me know, but don't wait too long, not getting any youngerLOL! I attended a gun show this last weekend and sold two but I still have six on hand and have two more to make. ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

TMH: You have a highly interesting collection. It is suggestive of... I don't know....a less than routine life. I've long admired Bud Neely's approach to design. You did a very nice job on the BK2.
kootenay joe

Re: Show off your fixed blades!Custom Puukkos

Post by kootenay joe »

I just received a fine and very sharp custom Puukko from Croatian knife maker Danijel Haramina. His design is true to the original "Tommi" style of Finnish Puukko: blade is straight right to tip (not drop point, etc) and is rhomboid in cross section with the thickest part of the blade about 3/4 the way up from the sharp edge, full 'Scandi' grind both sides, no secondary edge grind needed; oval handle, no guard (Finns say: handle knife properly and you don't need a guard)
Sheath is a dangler(hangs from belt) and has a wood insert that holds the blade with a 'snap' fit.
Scary sharp and will edge hold.
kj
Attachments
Picture 006.jpg
Picture 007.jpg
Picture 009.jpg
toolboy

Post by toolboy »

Older bone handled Queen set
Attachments
DSC04121.JPG
DSC04122.JPG
DSC04123.JPG
DSC04124.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Beautiful Queen knives; great that both are still together; and amazing to have original box !
Great score.
kj
tongueriver

Re: Show off your fixed blades!Custom Puukkos

Post by tongueriver »

kootenay joe wrote:I just received a fine and very sharp custom Puukko from Croatian knife maker Danijel Haramina. His design is true to the original "Tommi" style of Finnish Puukko: blade is straight right to tip (not drop point, etc) and is rhomboid in cross section with the thickest part of the blade about 3/4 the way up from the sharp edge, full 'Scandi' grind both sides, no secondary edge grind needed; oval handle, no guard (Finns say: handle knife properly and you don't need a guard)
Sheath is a dangler(hangs from belt) and has a wood insert that holds the blade with a 'snap' fit.
Scary sharp and will edge hold.
kj
What a beautiful knife! I am intrigued by the 'puuko' genre but woefully ignorant; afraid to make a buying mistake; I pretty much buy what I know.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

toolboy wrote:Older bone handled Queen set
That is a sweet set! Thanks for showing it. Even the sheath is excellent! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Actually i find it hard to stay away from Danijel's knives. The new one i show above is my 4th. The plain one i used to field dress a deer 2 seasons ago. Did a slick & easy job and it is still ready for another deer. I could strop it but it does not yet seem to need it.
kj
Attachments
Picture 008.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

002 (2).JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

008.JPG
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

Here's one a friend brought back for me from Kabul. It's a little rough on fit and finish but it will do the job when called upon.
Attachments
Gift from Kabul.JPG
A GOOD KNIFE IS LIKE A GOOD FRIEND, IT'LL NEVER LET YOU DOWN.

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

I was just strollin' through the fixed blades, enjoyin' the different knives and noticed that three of the four Quick Steel displayed 3 or 4 posts back, have holes in the blades. What are the holes for? ::shrug::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Just arrived, a German made VOS Bowie. Came with a chart showing the composition of ther Solingen steel and explaining that it is equivalent to 440-A with a Rockwell Test avg. of 55.
P1010645.JPG
P1010647.JPG
P1010648.JPG
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Just got this out of the mailbox.
vic1.jpg
truck

Post by truck »

My newest EDC pieces, an ESEE Izula II and s Rough Rider neck knife with faux turquoise scales. At 56 years of age I'm finally leaving home without a pocketknife on me!!! ::uc::
Attachments
IMG_1207.JPG
IMG_1211.JPG
I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

treefarmer: those small openings are called a Spanish notch. Their purpose was to better catch and control an oponents blade. In the early 1800s New Orleans had many schools to train a gentleman in sword and knife fighting, the instructors were often Europeans who generally found a much better market in America than in Europe.

Although there are groups that even today train in the use of the Bowie, they are not common. Most people lack training in employment of the notch, so it is mostly employed as a stylistic touch.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC03870.JPG
DSC03458.JPG
DSC03371.JPG
DSC02277.JPG
DSC01765.JPG
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC03087.JPG
DSC03077.JPG
DSC02518.JPG
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Great showing John. I'm sure glad to see you posting pictures. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”