Puukko

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Puukko

Post by Quick Steel »

I just bought this maasenpän puukko f
vikingdog, could you please tell me what "maasenpan" means or refers to. Thanks.

QS
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Something like "old village blacksmiths knife" Here's a post about it:

http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

My traditional Nordic knife blog: http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

Mike
Beechtree

Post by Beechtree »

Vikingdog, I do not know the names of the makers. I wish I did. I do know that they are locals in their respective communities and that the knives are hand made.
Neat maasenpän puukko by the way, I enjoy that the handle is sealed with pitch.
"A tool is but an extension of a man's hand." -Henry Ward Beecher
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Puukko Info on Janni Matinni Knives

Post by Mossdancer »

To anyone interested I had an unusal encounter this A.M. I visited a sale with two ladies in attendance. One an elderly lady the other maybe in her 60's, there as a helper. As per usual I quizzed them regarding any precious metals, Coins, Firearms, militaria, knives etc. Met with no success from the older. The younger started talking re: a sale of her household items this winter. I asked if she had any of the previous, she seemed reticent. I asked directly if she had any Scandinavian knives. She said yes and that her Grandfather was a knifemaker from Finland. Knowing his connection to Astoria I asked if he was by chance Janni Martinni. The reply was yes. Her mother was Miss Lund the lady that Mr. Martinni wed many years ago. She went on to say and was amicable to write documentation that Mr. Martinni handed her personally several knives knives that she would be interested in selling.
As I find out more, if anyone is interested I will keep you up to date on my finds and possible purchase. There is just no better documentation of lineage than personal handling by the maker.
moss
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

That's pretty cool Moss. By all means keep us informed ::tu::
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
junebug

Post by junebug »

awesome MOSS!!!
plz do keep us up to date ::tu::

junebug 8) 8)
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

WOW! ::groove::
Billswfl

Post by Billswfl »

I received my new puukko today from Joonas Kallioniemi, it was worth the wait. The inspiration was one posted by Christian(kamagong) back in February.

Bill
Attachments
017.JPG
019.JPG
020.JPG
025.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Knives can't get much more sleek than that. Congratulations. ::tu:: ::tu::
Billswfl

Post by Billswfl »

Thanks QS it made my day.

Bill
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

To me it looks like the wood of the handle almost flows without break into the steel. You knife could virtually be the definition of Fit and Finish. A beautiful piece.
Billswfl

Post by Billswfl »

QS at only 22 years old Joonas strives for perfection. All the puukkos I have seen of his are flawless. If you haven't seen his WIP on Mikes blog take a look http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/201 ... rogress-2/

Bill
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

A beautiful piece of work from Joonas! ::tu:: Congratulations Bill.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

Mike
Billswfl

Post by Billswfl »

Thanks Mike

Bill
kamagong

Post by kamagong »

Nice knife Bill! I like the blade shape on that one, it looks more robust than the one on mine.

What wood did Joonas use on the handle? It doesn't look like curly birch. Then again, I'm no expert.
Billswfl

Post by Billswfl »

Thanks Christian the blade shape should make it a nice user. The wood is curly birch, just a different pattern than most you see, it has a lot of character in hand.

Do you have anything new coming.

Bill
kamagong

Post by kamagong »

I'm on the list for one of Jukka Hankala's Lastus. I'll post pictures when I get it.
Billswfl

Post by Billswfl »

Christian I think the Lastu is a great pickup. I'll be waiting to see the pics.

Bill
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

This pair of puukkos by the Rannanjärvi family arrived at my house this afternoon, a gift from my very generous puukko guru Billswfl. These are very classic, traditional vintage pieces, thank you once again Bill! ::ds::

The Härmän puukko is a very distinctive puukko from the Ostrobothnian region of Finland. These knives have been made by the Rannanjärvi family for many years beginning with Erkki Rannanjärvi (1838 – 1925) up to Antti Rannanjärvi (b 1951) in the present day. They seem to be pretty rare and are seldom found outside of Finland other than some that were made for a shop in the U.S. some years ago.

There is a post on the blog with more information:
http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/201 ... ukko-17-2/
Attachments
rannanjarvi 1.jpg
rannanjarvi 1.jpg (33.07 KiB) Viewed 4819 times
rannanjarvi 2.jpg
rannanjarvi 2.jpg (33.73 KiB) Viewed 4819 times

Mike
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Awesome. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Billswfl

Post by Billswfl »

Thanks for the kind words Mike.

Bill
gford

Post by gford »

Does anyone have info on a Veikko Hakkarainen knife...it was passed down to me years ago (it came into our family in the early 1980's). The knife is Nordic in styling with the handle and sheath made out of reindeer bone/antler? Blade is stamped VH. Any info is appreciated...thanks.
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Veikko Hakkarainen of Rovaniemi on the Arctic Circle in Finland is or was the smith of the Kullervo puukko. He's a 4th generation puukkoseppä who learned from his father and used his father's shop doing his forging on a charcoal fire. I say is or was because I'm quite sure he's no longer active. There is one of his puukkos on page one of this thread owned by my friend Bill who may be along to tell you more about his Veikko Hakkarainen.

Also, This text was taken from: http://www.taitolappi.fi

The story of the Kullervo knife:

"In the family Hakkarainen represents Veikko Kullervo the fourth generation of utility knife makers.
The Kullervo knife is an example of an ancient model of northern Finnish knives.
Veikko Hakkarainen is a recognized knife smith, awarded with the title "Best knife maker in Finland".

The Kullervo is handmade from the start, with over 60 phases in the making. Its each part, from the blade to the sheath is made by Veikko himself.
The handle is made of nature's own material, birch bark which is one of the oldest materials used in this purpose.
A handle made of bark is very durable, comfortable, warm and gives an excellent grip.
A few weeks from Midsummer is called the "Bark Month" which means that Veikko spends his time gathering bark.
The blade of the Kullervo knife is hand forged of carbon steel and its extremely precise hardening is a proof of quality even to the most demanding user.
The final sharpness of the knife is achieved through hand-sharpening with a water cooled grinder.
Later the knife is easily sharpened with a grindstone.

The smith, Mr Hakkarainen:

”It is important to me that the tools I make, the knives, are as good and of good quality as possible.
Old, proven good methods are essential in my production, but I don't hesitate utilizing new technology, methods and materials either.
Being a knifesmith in fourth generation I feel obliged to do my work in the best possible way.
I have seen how tools can be made since I was a child and thus my interest in the profession of a smith.
I became a smith when I was a young boy. I find it very challenging and there is always something to learn"

How about a picture of yours gford?

Mike
Billswfl

Post by Billswfl »

I have only seen a Kullervo puukko by Veikko Hakkarainen, so as Mike said it would be good to see pictures of yours. Here are several more pics of mine, I picked it up from a site in Finland and the enclosed insert is in Finnish, it would be nice to know what it says.

Bill
Attachments
knives 283.jpg
knives 284.jpg
knives 285.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I acquired this Puuko about 10 years ago and don't know much about it. I know the handle is made from a milk product. The name escapes me. Sorry for the poor pictures but it's overcast and drizzling. Any information or comments will be appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments
002.JPG
003.JPG
005.JPG
008.JPG
006.JPG

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”