Collins & Co. Hartford, Collins Colombiana S.A.

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Draac

Collins & Co. Hartford, Collins Colombiana S.A.

Post by Draac »

Collins & Co. Hartford, Collins Colombiana S.A., Industria Colombiana

Left to me by my father, I have found similar machetes online but none with a sheath like I have on mine. It has a beautiful all leather sheath, the blade is 20" inch blade. The overall length of the machete is 25". One side of the blade has three 7" "blood lines" (I think that is what they call groves in the blade ? See larger version of the forth image below).

Question: Does anyone have an info on this machete ? Maybe the age or rarity of the sheath with this type of machete ?

Thank you for any info you can give me,

Draac
Attachments
CLICK FOR A LARGER VIEW
CLICK FOR A LARGER VIEW
CLICK FOR A LARGER VIEW
CLICK FOR A LARGER VIEW
CLICK FOR A LARGER VIEW
CLICK FOR A LARGER VIEW
CLICK FOR A LARGER VIEW
CLICK FOR A LARGER VIEW
CLICK FOR A LARGER VIEW
CLICK FOR A LARGER VIEW
gino

Re: Collins & Co. Hartford, Collins Colombiana S.A.

Post by gino »

Draac, here is something I found. Hope it helps.
Attachments
FB.jpg
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
Draac

Post by Draac »

Thank you Gino, that encouraged me to look a little hard at the blade.
I have found a faint shield with a banner with writing across the sheild that I can not read.
Under the shield looks like a date ( or just some numbers?). It apears to read 19 64 ??
I tried to take some images of this shield, see below. I looked around the net for such a marking on a Collins Co machete but could not find such a thing on their machetes.

Draac
Attachments
CLICK FOR A MORE DETAILED LOOK
elbertson

Post by elbertson »

I'm pretty sure that is the model number: No (as in number, the o is underlined) 64, which should help your search for info. The blade's grooves are called fullers, and are traditionally used to lighten the blade. Latin American laborers take great pride in their tools and often have elaborate sheaths for them. Since there really is no demand in this country for fancy sheaths, most are sold with either plain sheaths or, more often, none at all. This keeps costs down as most Americans don't treat machetes well and don't want to spend much on them. Actually, most use them improperly, anyways.
The beatings will continue until morale has improved...

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”