Remnants for trade (or sale, if you really want to . . . )

Have knives or knife related items for sale or for trade? Premium subscribers are welcomed to post them here. Feel free to plug your AAPK knife store or eBay listings as well. Make sure to check out the items our club members have for sale if you are looking to buy.
coffeecup

Remnants for trade (or sale, if you really want to . . . )

Post by coffeecup »

Since we can't edit our FS/T posts after a certain time any more, the easiest way to update is to put up a new post. Without further ado, here we go!

In addition to looking to get this stuff off my desk, I'm looking for trades. Specifically, I'm interested in the following:
---Western brands (Western States, Western, Westco, West-Co, Westaco, etc), Western SFOs, and related ephemera
---for users, I like barlows, trappers, muskrats, teardrops (with both nail nicks on the same side), and 4" or longer stockmen (preferably with California or Turkish clip blades). Other stuff considered.
--In particular, I'm looking for a 4" (or so) congress with a mix of sheepsfoot/pen/coping blades in 1095 or D2. Condition is only semi-important: I don't mind "patina" or scratches, or some blade loss, but I hate wobble in the blades.

Prices are marked, to give you an idea of how I value the item (and on the off-chance someone wants to buy something). For purchases, shipping in the US runs $6 via USPS Priority for one or more folders, $8 for one or more fixed-blades, and $3 via USPS Media Mail for books. Where I can, I'll combine shipping, so if you are purchasing multiple items, ask for a total, OK? If you're outside the US, PM me and we'll try to work something out.

Folders
You may note these were listed a couple weeks ago. Yep--I just dropped the prices around 20% each.

Camillus 179 stockman: 3 7/8" long, stainless, delrin covers with shield missing, blades scratched from sharpening, good pull on all three blades. $18 plus shipping

Camillus 64 stockman: about 3 3/8" long, with black composition covers. Springs are a bit sluggish, blades worn, one cover is held on by only the middle pin (the others having broken). Not something for the collection, but it might make an interesting project, or a parts knife. $6 plus shipping.

Case 62033 pen knife. About 2 11/16" long, delrin covers. Blade is stamped "CASE XX" over "USA". I don't see any dots but they might be there (I'm really not sure what I'd be looking for). Good snap on both blades, with no wobble or blade play. Needs cleaning and sharpening, of course. $28 plus shipping

Shell-handled Barlow. Standard Barlow size (roughly 3 3/8" or a tad more). Not sure of the maker, tang marked only "USA". Good snap, needs cleaning and sharpening. $7 plus shipping

Western "scout" or "camp knife". Western called this a "camp knife." Stainless blades, delrin covers. Blade is marked "WESTERN BOULDER COLO MADE IN USA" in three lines on the front, and "901 STAINLESS CAMPER" on the back. The springs are a little soft on this one, and the punch is slightly tipped. Needs cleaning etc, but the edge could be just touched up (I used this one a few years ago as my "demonstration model" of the functions and uses of a scout knife.) $20 plus shipping.

Western single blade trapper. Trapper sized (4 1/8") single stainless blade but with no liner lock as this pattern usually has. Blade is marked "WESTERN U.S.A. S-693 D" in three lines. Delrin covers, missing the shield, good snap to the blade. $20 plus shipping.

Fixed Blades
--I can't remember who made these, Valor maybe? Basically a late '60s/early '70s Japanese-made copy of the Buck fixed blades. Decent working knife, with a Buck-style "holster" sheath. The handle was highly-polished until it slipped in my then-young hands, at which point it got roughened up so that wouldn't happen again. Note that the spaces in the crossguard are chipped, and the pommel marked up. $20 plus shipping.

--Western L46-8. This is the 8" version of the "shark knife." WWII production, blade is blued but scratched and lightly etched in spots. Handle is missing a couple of pieces of leather. I could never bring myself to re-handle this, and never got around to repairing the handle. No sheath. $75 plus shipping.

Books
I didn't bother taking pics of these (actually, I forgot). Ask if you need them . . .

--A Guide to Handmade Knives: The Official Directory of The Knifemakers Guild by Mel Tappan. (This was the first directory, and has a lot of early knifemakers in it. Copyright is 1977) $10 plus shipping

--Today's Knifemakers: An Official Directory of the Knifemakers Guild edited by the staff at Blade magazine. This is from 1988 if I'm reading the Roman numerals correctly. Larger format than the first one, and better quality on the illustrations, but many of the first members are no longer listed. $10 plus shipping

--The Standard Knife Collector's Guide, 3rd edition by Roy Ritchie and Ron Stewart. Copyright 1997. The prices aren't of much use today, but there is some good company history, and excellent illustrations (many in color). $7 plus shipping

--Making Wood Decoys by Patrick Spielman, copyright 1982. Spielman has an interesting approach to carving decoys, one that lets a beginner get started fairly independently, but leaves some challenges as the carver advances in skill. Some knife carving, but a lot of rasps and chisels/gouges as well. $8 plus shipping

--Basic Manual of Knife Fighting by William L. Cassidy, copyright 1978. I got this while researching the Fairbairn-Sykes and Applegate-Fairbairn knives; unfortunately it has little history and is more of a synopsis of the techniques taught by Fairbairn, and later, by Applegate. Don't try this stuff at home! $7 plus shipping.

That's everything for now. Thanks for looking!
Jim
313 Mike

Re: Remnants for trade (or sale, if you really want to . . .

Post by 313 Mike »

Hi Jim...I sent ya a pm...hope to hear from ya.

Mike
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.

Return to “Knives for Sale or Trade”