FS/T: folders, fixed blades, books

Have knives or knife related items for sale or for trade? Premium subscribers are welcomed to post them here. Feel free to plug your AAPK knife store or eBay listings as well. Make sure to check out the items our club members have for sale if you are looking to buy.
coffeecup

FS/T: folders, fixed blades, books

Post by coffeecup »

This is sort of an end of the year sale. It is also an "I'm bored" sale, and even a "let's trade" post. This post will include the folders I posted earlier (with reduced prices), various fixed blade knives from my project box (that I seem to just not be working on), and some books I've been meaning to list.

Prices posted do not include shipping. For folders, that should run about $5 via USPS Priority for the first knife (and as many others as I can fit in the box). For fixed blades, that should run about $8 for the first knife (and as many others as I can fit in the box). For books, it should run about $3 for the first one via USPS Media Mail and a dollar more for each additional book. Where I can, I'll combine shipping, so if you are purchasing multiple items, ask for a total, OK? If you're outside the US, PM me and we'll try to work something out.

Trades are not only considered, but sought--with a couple of qualifications. Brandwise, I collect Western brands (Western States, Western, Westco, West-Co, Westaco, etc), Western SFOs, and related ephemera; I'll trade for Western-made knives I don't already have. Patternwise, I particularly like barlows, trappers, muskrats, teardrops (with both nail nicks on the same side), and 4" or longer stockmen (preferably with California or Turkish clip blades): I'm interested in these mostly as users.

Enough blathering, on to the stuff!

Folders
You may note these were listed a couple weeks ago. Yep--I just dropped the prices around 20% each.

Camillus 179 stockman: 3 7/8" long, stainless, delrin covers with shield missing, blades scratched from sharpening, good pull on all three blades. $20 plus shipping

Camillus 64 stockman: about 3 3/8" long, with black composition covers. Springs are a bit sluggish, blades worn, one cover is held on by only the middle pin (the others having broken). Not something for the collection, but it might make an interesting project, or a parts knife. $8 plus shipping.

Case 62033 pen knife. About 2 11/16" long, delrin covers. Blade is stamped "CASE XX" over "USA". I don't see any dots but they might be there (I'm really not sure what I'd be looking for). Good snap on both blades, with no wobble or blade play. Needs cleaning and sharpening, of course. $28 plus shipping

Shell-handled Barlow. Standard Barlow size (roughly 3 3/8" or a tad more). Not sure of the maker, tang marked only "USA". Good snap, needs cleaning and sharpening. $8 plus shipping

Western "scout" or "camp knife". Western called this a "camp knife." Stainless blades, delrin covers. Blade is marked "WESTERN BOULDER COLO MADE IN USA" in three lines on the front, and "901 STAINLESS CAMPER" on the back. The springs are a little soft on this one, and the punch is slightly tipped. Needs cleaning etc, but the edge could be just touched up (I used this one a few years ago as my "demonstration model" of the functions and uses of a scout knife.) $20 plus shipping.

Western single blade trapper. Trapper sized (4 1/8") single stainless blade but with no liner lock as this pattern usually has. Blade is marked "WESTERN U.S.A. S-693 D" in three lines. Delrin covers, missing the shield, good snap to the blade. $20 plus shipping.

Western stockman. Length is 4" (plus-or-minus 1/16", depending on where you measure!). Blade is marked "WESTERN BOULDER COLO MADE IN USA" with the pattern number (742) marked on the back. Delrin covers. Spey blade is marked "concave ground." The knife was cleaned prior to my purchase: not a terribly bad job but there is a touch of rounding on the blades, and pits/watermarks remain on blades and springs. Too bad, because the blades are full or nearly so, with good springs and no play. $20 plus shipping

Fixed Blades
I did mention these came from my project box, right? All will need work. I'll try to describe that, but please ask if you have any questions. Unless it says otherwise, these don't have sheaths.

From left to right: Western, Robeson, Pal, Camillus.
--The Western needs a general cleanup. Some well-meaning person lacquered the handle, the blade is rusty and dirty, and there is some minor corrosion on the pommel. Handle is tight. I never cleaned it because I never cared for this pattern! $15 plus shipping
--The Robeson is a WWII knife, basically of the Mk 1 type as I recall. It is marked "Robeson Shuredge" on one side and "USA" on the other. Um, it sorta needs a handle. . . and the blade cleaned. Neat knife, but I'll probably never get around to doing anything with it. $15 plus shipping.
--The Pal is an RH-36, produced for military service during WWII. The blade has grinder marks, and there is some fairly-heavy rust near the tip. Handle is tight, there is the faintest amount of wiggle in the crossguard. $30 plus shipping.
--The Camillus is a 6" JPK (jet pilot knive, survival knife, etc) that unfortunately lost the pommel due to a break in the tang. To correctly restore, you'd need to extend the tang--but then you'd still have to re-build the handle and deal with the rust on the blade. I thought about re-handling with stag, but never got around to it. $20

--Cattaraugus 225Q. WWII production of course. This is the knife I partially-disassembled to show how the pommel is made on these. Blade needs cleaned up, handle needs replaced, or at least replacement of a couple washers and new nails put in to hold the pommel together--right now one nail is missing and the leather washers are loose due to shrinkage. $30 plus shipping.

--I can't remember who made these, Valor maybe? Basically a late '60s/early '70s Japanese-made copy of the Buck fixed blades. Decent working knife, with a Buck-style "holster" sheath. The handle was highly-polished until it slipped in my then-young hands, at which point it got roughened up so that wouldn't happen again. Note that the spaces in the crossguard are chipped, and the pommel marked up. $25 plus shipping.

--Kabar Mk2. This is an early--threaded pommel/blade-marked KA-BAR. This knife was re-handled in leather/plexiglass/brass at some point. It might have been done in-theatre, but I'm not sure. Handle needs to be repaired (some plexi has split due to corrosion of the tang) or replaced. I got the tang stabilized, but haven't gone any further. This one does have an issue sheath, but that too has been modified by someone. $40 plus shipping

--Western L46-8. This is the 8" version of the "shark knife." WWII production, blade is blued but scratched and lightly etched in spots. Handle is missing a couple of pieces of leather. I could never bring myself to re-handle this, and never got around to repairing the handle. $80 plus shipping.

--WWII-production, Camillus USN Mark 2. Unfortunately, the blade was briefly introduced to a grinder at some point (not bad), there is enough rust that even cleaned up this blade will be marked, and the handle needs to be replaced . . . oh, and the guard is bent. On the bright side, the pommel is pinned, so the repairs are not an insurmountable task. $25 plus shipping.

Books
I didn't bother taking pics of these (actually, I forgot). Ask if you need them . . .

--A Guide to Handmade Knives: The Official Directory of The Knifemakers Guild by Mel Tappan. (This was the first directory, and has a lot of early knifemakers in it. Copyright is 1977) $10 plus shipping

--Today's Knifemakers: An Official Directory of the Knifemakers Guild edited by the staff at Blade magazine. This is from 1988 if I'm reading the Roman numerals correctly. Larger format than the first one, and better quality on the illustrations, but many of the first members are no longer listed. $10 plus shipping

--The Standard Knife Collector's Guide, 3rd edition by Roy Ritchie and Ron Stewart. Copyright 1997. The prices aren't of much use today, but there is some good company history, and excellent illustrations (many in color). $7 plus shipping

--Making Wood Decoys by Patrick Spielman, copyright 1982. Spielman has an interesting approach to carving decoys, one that lets a beginner get started fairly independently, but leaves some challenges as the carver advances in skill. Some knife carving, but a lot of rasps and chisels/gouges as well. $8 plus shipping

--Basic Manual of Knife Fighting by William L. Cassidy, copyright 1978. I got this while researching the Fairbairn-Sykes and Applegate-Fairbairn knives; unfortunately it has little history and is more of a synopsis of the techniques taught by Fairbairn, and later, by Applegate. Don't try this stuff at home! $7 plus shipping.

That's everything for now. Thanks for looking!
Jim
coffeecup

Re: FS/T: folders, fixed blades, books

Post by coffeecup »

The Western stockman is gone.

There's a couple more knives I'm looking for: my kid brother lost his whittlin' knives, and I'm trying to help him locate replacements. Looking for any or all of the following:

--large (ca. 4") stockman in 1095 (or maybe D2)
--congress with sheepsfoot and coping or pen blades in 1095 (or maybe D2)
--Schrade 194 OT--preferably tipped as it will get converted to a Wharncliffe pattern

Thanks for looking!
Jim
coffeecup

10% off, free shipping offer

Post by coffeecup »

As of today, I'm having a 10% off sale on all remaining knives etc here. Take 10% off the price listed in the original post (so a $20 knife would now be $18, etc). I'll pay shipping in the US on purchases of $50 or more.

Thanks for looking,
Jim
coffeecup

Re: FS/T: folders, fixed blades, books

Post by coffeecup »

The Cattaraugus 225Q, KaBar Mk2, and Robeson are SPF.

Thanks!
Jim

Return to “Knives for Sale or Trade”