JAMES TIDMARSH? I need some help with this maker

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
GerryD

JAMES TIDMARSH? I need some help with this maker

Post by GerryD »

I bought this little knife a while ago and its clearly stamped James Tidmarsh but I'm struggling to find anything about him. I've come across a bore war period knife with a crude pistol on top and a few razors but nothing about date line or where he came from. Its got horn scales and measures 4.25" long open and just under 2.5" closed, as you can see the blade has been used and possibly re-shaped.
So over to you guys.

Gerry
Attachments
_DSC1343.jpg
_DSC1340.jpg
_DSC1339.jpg
_DSC1338.jpg
_DSC1336.jpg
_DSC1335.jpg
knife7knut

Re: JAMES TIDMARSH? I need some help with this maker

Post by knife7knut »

Interesting oldie Gerry! Does it have one piece bolsters/liners? It looks like it may have been a castrating knife judging by the shape of the blade.I'll check some books I have and hopefully we can come up with something.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Sheffield cutlery company founded (I believe) in late 1700s and in business through the 19th century. Knives, table cutlery, razors, etc. Also made a knife / pistol combo. Great find. Maybe early 1800s.

Dennis
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

Thanks for the replies guys.
K7K I was thinking along the castration lines but its a fiddly little knife and does not fit in the hand well but didn't want to lead anyone I've got Goins, Sheffield Knives Twedale and Levine but I couldn't find any reference to a Tidmarsh. Found a couple of links on Google to a knife / pistol combo and to razors also deo-pa but no date line, I think its more likely around the latter end of the 19th century than early 19th . Im pretty sure that its got separate bolsters.

Gerry

Return to “European-made knives”