Antique G Butler Pocket knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Zbg123

Antique G Butler Pocket knife

Post by Zbg123 »

Hi,

I posted this knife a while ago, but I am looking to get some more information about it if possible so all comments are much appreciated!

There are a total of 8 tools on the knife but i am missing one, which was a toothpick on the side. There are 3 blades, a corkscrew, a leather punch, a button hook and a pair of tweezers on the side. The main blade has the inscription "The Royal Hunt" along the front face. On the base of all of the tools it says G. Butler & Co. with a skeleton key on one side, and on the backside it says Sheffield England and also ART which is circled. The handle is made of stag an it has a small loop on the top which rotates back and forth. From other postings and asking others, i believe the knife is either late 1800's or early 1900's. It seems to be very rare as i can not find another one anywhere at all no matter where i search.

Has anyone ever seen this exact knife or know anything else about it? I am very curious about "The Royal Hunt" engraving on the main knife. I can't seem to find any information that seems yo fit the knife. So if anyone has anything they could add that would be very helpful.

Again, I am looking to sell this knife so the more information I can get, the better.

Thank you!
Attachments
Butler knife.jpg
Butler knife2.jpg
Butler knife3.jpg
Butler knife4.jpg
Butler knife5.jpg
Butler knife6.jpg
Butler knife7.jpg
IMG_1720.jpg
IMG_1721.jpg
IMG_1722.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Antique G Butler Pocket knife

Post by gsmith7158 »

G.Butler 1758-1952 a quality Sheffield maker. These types of utility knives were made for a variety of applications. With the button hook , punch and curved cutter looks like a tool for the leather industry with a cork screw thrown in to celebrate a well made article. :D
Nice knife! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Can you tell us the closed length of the knife?

The stamping with England incorporated would suggest it was made after 1892. I think the curved blade could be a folding hoof pick and trimming tool which would make this a horseman's knife. Is this blade thick and sturdy enough to be a hoof pick? The missing toothpick was likely made of water buffalo horn.

Very impressive knife.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

It's a sportsman's knife. Any self respecting English gentleman would carry one of these in their pocket during the 19th and early 20th centuries. The royal hunt etching is an advertising gimmick to help sell the knives.

The short curved blade is a champagne wire cutter usually with a file on one side.
AAPK Janitor
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I guess back in the day it would have brought on severe ridicule to be caught out without the means to open a bottle of champagne. ::shrug::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

gsmith7158 wrote:I guess back in the day it would have brought on severe ridicule to be caught out without the means to open a bottle of champagne. ::shrug::
Reminds me of the story about the difference between a Swiss Army Knife designed for an officer versus one for an enlisted man. The officer's knife was supplied with a corkscrew for opening wine bottles whereas an enlisted man's knife featured a beer can opener.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Stakeknife

Post by Stakeknife »

Where the heck did you find that?
NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject. Our forefathers knew this to be true..... Why do so many of us question their wisdom?
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

Hi Zbg123
Can you tell me the measurements please?
It looks like a good find.
Butler and Co were founded in 1840 and before that they were George Butler &Co. As already mentioned the “England” mark was introduced in 1892 by the US to protect their businesses.
I would say it’s a sports man rather than a horseman but that’s a personal view. It’s a shame that the pick is missing but that is not unusual I always think it’s a bonus if I manage to buy with both the pick and tweezers. The Art mark was introduced in the 1860s because of fakes. Butler & Co were a large employer and made good knifes.
Gerry
Zbg123

Post by Zbg123 »

btrwtr wrote:Can you tell us the closed length of the knife?

The stamping with England incorporated would suggest it was made after 1892. I think the curved blade could be a folding hoof pick and trimming tool which would make this a horseman's knife. Is this blade thick and sturdy enough to be a hoof pick? The missing toothpick was likely made of water buffalo horn.

Very impressive knife.

Hi, the knife is just a hair over 4 inches closed and about 7 3/4" opened with the main blade.
Zbg123

Post by Zbg123 »

Stakeknife wrote:Where the heck did you find that?

Found it cleaning out my grandfathers basement and thought it looked pretty old so just wanted to find more info about it

Return to “European-made knives”