Help identifying G Butler folding knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Zbg123

Help identifying G Butler folding knife

Post by Zbg123 »

Hi

I found a knife that i am trying to get some more info on. It is brown possibly made from antler? There are 2 knives, champagne knife, corkscrew, some type of hook I'm not sure what it is, and last is a leather punch i think. There is a silver plaque on the handle but it is completely smooth so if there was anything engraved it is no longer there. the largest main blade has "The Royal Hunt" inscribed on it (Looked this up but could not find anything about this). possibly it is a custom inscription. On the bottom of all of the tools it says G. Butler & Co. with a skeleton key. on the backside it says Sheffield England and also ART which is circled.

Any info on these would be greatly appreciated. I would like to mainly know approximate age, price estimate, and any formal model name if any. I am looking to sell these so it would be awesome to get some info ASAP!

Thank you!
Butler knife7.jpg
Butler knife.jpg
Butler knife2.jpg
Butler knife3.jpg
Butler knife4.jpg
Butler knife5.jpg
Butler knife6.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help identifying G Butler folding knife

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Nice knife. I believe it's generally called a sportsman pattern. Handles appear to be genuine stag (antler). G. Butler is the mark of a Sheffield cutler. Goins Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings lists "G. Butler 1865 to present,", Levine's Guide lists "George Butler & Co. Of Sheffield, 1768-1952" (not sure if this is the same as G. Butler stamp or not). ::shrug:: The hook is likely a button hook, which are not commonly seen on knives made later than early 20th century, meaning the knife is probably at least 100 years old.

As for value your best source is probably searching eBay sold listings, for Sheffield sportsman knife, or similar, to see what they sell for.

And welcome to AAPK. Some others with more specific knowledge may want to comment.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Nice knife. I agree with Ken. A sportsman pattern with stag (antler) scales. England on the stamp dates it to 1891 or later and it was probably made before WWI given the button hook.
Rust Never Sleeps
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

What is the closed length ?
Is "England" marked anywhere on any of the blades/tools ?
kj

Return to “European-made knives”