G. Ibberson advertising knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
montemojo

Re: G. Ibberson advertising knife

Post by montemojo »

ok, here is picture. i hope this will help
ivory
ivory
ivory
ivory
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

closer cropping and bigger blow up(so it fills entire screen) would be better.
For me this is a hard one to tell and i have a few in this unsure category.
It could be ivory, nothing in the picture rules out ivory. But, nothing in the picture clinches it as ivory.
Try this: lay out the knife or knives you think might be ivory along with some celluloid handled knives, or Micarta. Lightly touch each one briefly. Ivory feels slightly cooler. I use the backs of my fingers for temperature testing.
I just did this with some of my known ivory knives and at the first instance of touch they are cooler. It takes just seconds for ivory to warm from your touch so it is first impression that counts.
I have an interest in ivory and i have a fair bit of it around but i am a novice as far as in depth knowledge of ivory goes.
I learn from reading what others have to say, so i hope there will be others posting here too.
kj
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Thanks for all your time Roland. I will follow your suggestions and keep on til I get it down. I took Dimitri's advive and did rub on my knives til about 2 this morning. I now know what celluloid smells like and have a blister on my thumb. I'm glad its my thumb and not the knife like the pin test would have done. I know its not celluloid it had no smell. The bulldog and the weidmanshell had an awful odor to them. My older cell knives had an odor also but wasn't as strong. By the way the bulldog and the weidmannsheil "I think thats the correct spelling" are out gassing ::teary_eyes::
Thanks Monte
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

This is the best guide to identifying real or imitation ivory I have found and is easy to understand for the novice.

Read the entire thing don't skip any of it ::tu::

https://www.realorrepro.com/article/Ivo ... -confusing
AAPK Janitor
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Now i need to find a "black light". I have never heard of this before and "black" and "light" exist as opposites. maybe i bin in the bush too long ?
kj
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Roland, you can get them just about anywhere. Walmart, Home depot, etc.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Scorpion-Mas ... lsrc=aw.ds
AAPK Janitor
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Thanks Dimitri, the scales on the OP knife closely resemble the peice in fig. 19 of the article by Mark Chervenka. I plan to read it a couple more times. I will spend some time at the library reading some of the books mentioned in the article. I will try to do a little research in the area on the burnt chimney knives made on contract by boker. Just to add to the abundant information here at the AAPK. Mabe it will help some collectors in the future.

Monte

Return to “European-made knives”