"BEST" All metal folder

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
GerryD

"BEST" All metal folder

Post by GerryD »

Can anyone throw some light on this all metal folder. I've not been able to find any information but I'm sure I've seen a photo somewhere.
Gerry
Attachments
best.jpg
best-2.jpg
best-3.jpg
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: "BEST" All metal folder

Post by Miller Bro's »

Are the handles tin or heavy cast steel?
AAPK Janitor
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

They are made of steel of all one piece . The knife is about 4" in length closed and the blade is about 3". There no other marks on it other than the word "BEST"

Gerry
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have a Wostenholm Boy's Knife with a similar or same metal handle but without "BEST" on it. If i can find it i will picture it. (i like verbing nouns at 0400 hrs.)
The question then becomes: did Wostenholm cast there own handles ?
Or, was there a handle manufacturer who supplied handles to many knife manufacturers ?
kj
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Gerry, I have seen some marked "BEST" "TENT MARK" that were made by Richards Sheffield England.

Hope this helps.
AAPK Janitor
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

Were the knives made by Richards marked with anything other than Best or Tent Mark?

Gerry
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I bet many companies used the word "Best" German and English, so hard to pin it down exactly.

Here is a picture of one I have seen by Richards, they stamped their name on the tang usually.
Attachments
1922741_140403150832_SAM_2525.JPG
AAPK Janitor
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

I have to say they look similar but not the same, no marking on the tang on mine and Best is closer to the middle, I've posted on the BB sit in the UK and "Owdtom" is going to post about "Deane and Adams" fakes? There seem to be similar knives by "Rodgers" ,"Wostenholm" and others. Sometimes this knife research is like swimming up stream in cream of chicken soup.

Gerry
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

One of the guys on the BB forum reckons this is a knife made in japan around the of the 60's.

Gerry
Mason

Post by Mason »

Not Japanese and not from the 1960s.
Nearly all models similar to this "Best" one (and there were several by different companies) were produced in the early 1900s by German manufacturers. Miller Bros. posted one of the few post war examples from "Richards" which although was a company from Sheffield, their lineage was from Germany. Enclosed is a picture of a very similar model to yours from 1920 which was offered from the German firm of "Schlieper". It was not uncommon for some older German knives to be found with no makers stamp, but it does make it quite difficult to pin down who actually made certain unmarked models. Also enclosed is a picture from 1954 showing the "Richards Best" model.
Attachments
Schlieper Best 1920_20160901_0001 (1000x334).jpg
Richards Best 1954_20160901_0001 (1000x749).jpg

Return to “European-made knives”