H G Long Rase or Scribe knife stag scales

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
GerryD

H G Long Rase or Scribe knife stag scales

Post by GerryD »

Bought this at a local “by-gone” auction. Described as a horseman knife by the auctioneer but is a rase or scribe.
It is stamped H G Long with the crossed Daggers on the blades. It does say Sheffield but no England but it is also stamped H G Long & Co. So is it early 20th or late 19th century? It’s got stag scales and two blades one a knife blade and one a scribe tool . The curved scribe tool blade is razor sharp along the curved edge for scribing barrels and the like. Its 6.5" open and about 3.25" closed. The stag and the springs are in good nick as is the blade and scribe.
Gerry
Attachments
ring.jpg
ring-2.jpg
ring-3.jpg
ring-6.jpg
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: H G Long Rase of Scribe knife stag scales

Post by djknife13 »

Jerry, great old knife. Are the bolsters intrigal with the liners? ___Dave
GerryD

Re: H G Long Rase of Scribe knife stag scales

Post by GerryD »

Dave the bolster are separate to the liners. Why do you ask?
Gerry
LongBlade

Re: H G Long Rase or Scribe knife stag scales

Post by LongBlade »

Beauty of an old rase Gerry ::tu::

Must be pre-1890 if no England on knife (unless the few that were not made for export after 1890 which didn't have England stamped and were made for sale only in England - BUT this knife is earlier than 1890 in my opinion...

I think Dave asked about the liners being integral with the bolsters as that was only done up until about 1860 (hope you don't mind Dave me answering but please let us know if you had another reason for asking :) )... so based on that my guess for sure is that the knife is pre-1890 but after 1860... I can check Tweedale for info on HG Long as a maker when I get a chance and post what I find... unless somebody else has the book and finds the info..

Lee

Re: H G Long Rase or Scribe knife stag scales

Post by GerryD »

LongBlade wrote:Beauty of an old rase Gerry ::tu::

Must be pre-1890 if no England on knife (unless the few that were not made for export after 1890 which didn't have England stamped and were made for sale only in England - BUT this knife is earlier than 1890 in my opinion...

I think Dave asked about the liners being integral with the bolsters as that was only done up until about 1860
Lee
lee
I didn't know that .I did know that the separate bolsters were more difficult to assemble. OwdTom on the BB site said it would have a Lambs foot blade but due to sharpening its lost the shape. I GT's book and HG Long became ltd in the early 20th century but it looked like the may have the & Co before that. I think that 30 years is close enough for me so thanks for your input.

Gerry

Return to “European-made knives”