Old Atkinson Brothers folding military knife help please

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
GerryD

Old Atkinson Brothers folding military knife help please

Post by GerryD »

This knife that has me intrigued.
It’s just over 8” in length with blade open and it has clear marks for Atkinson Brothers Sheffield and one side of the blade and W broad arrow D and 2 on the other side. I looked on the internet and I found that the WD stamp with broad arrow between the letters was no longer used after mid 1890’s but I can’t find when it was first used and what does the 2 refer too? Also on the knife scale there is a section that has been made flat and the number 93886 stamped or burnt on, what does the number mean? I would also like an idea as to its age?
I’m sure someone on here into military knives can fill in some of my queries.

gerry
Attachments
Atkinson.jpg
Atkinson-2.jpg
Atkinson-3.jpg
Atkinson-4.jpg
wlf

Re: Old Atkinson Brothers folding military knife help please

Post by wlf »

I cannot help Gerry,but to say this is a navy rope knife,and that it is very intriguing,lastly welcome. Nice Thomas Turner too.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Gerry,

Go to britishblades.com and use the search function and you will find some info on Atkinson Bros. Also go to Wikipedia and search on "Beehive Works" and you can see photos of their factory from 1888 on. One of those posts has this quote from Goins:

"ATKINSON BROS. C.1845-PRESENT Located at the Milton Works, Herries Road, Sheffield, England. They make all types of cutlery. The Atkinson Brothers firm was owned by John Bedford & Sons, Ltd. in 1953. Bedford & Sons used all of the Atkinson Brothers trademarks on all types of cutlery. One of their marks was a figure of a bear, over the legend "In Mind" = "Bear in mind"

My guess is a WWI era Navy knife. I bet the folks on British Blades can clue you in on the handle number, which is an interesting curiosity.

Dennis
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.

That's an old one. Here's some information found on http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/f ... ks_eng.htm

The number '2' belonged to a specific government inspector.

The following comes from my favorite go to site for all things related to the Fairbairn Sykes knives but this info relates to any British military knives.

"The Broad Arrow is NOT an Inspection Mark but an OWNERSHIP mark denoting Government Ownership of the item.

It was used in the early 18th century with the Board of Ordnance (B/|\O) mark and then with W/|\D as War Department mark of ownership from 1856 when the Board of ordnance was abolished. The letters each side of W and D were abolished in 1895 (List of Changes 7815).

The broad arrow on its own is an ownership mark, but when coupled with a number or letter as found on Commando Knives it is an inspectors/examiners mark."

So your British Navy Rope Knife is from the era 1856-1895.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

Ok guys’ thanks for your answers.
I agree it is a rope knife and the link from jerryd6818 was very useful, I had been given another link very similar but to bayonet markings but I had miss understood but I now agree on the date. British blades had already filled in some of the blanks so now I need to find a site with British service personnel service numbers.
I still think this could be an army knife used to sever ropes but I’m not sure.
I’m not sure if the British navy had a different mark to the WD.
If anyone else has any thoughts please feel free to leave a comment.
Gerry
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

GerryD wrote: Also on the knife scale there is a section that has been made flat and the number 93886 stamped or burnt on, what does the number mean?
These knives were issued to sailors, they were not given away. The number that was placed on the knife is to record the knife and who or when it was issued. If it was lost or broken the sailor had to pay for it.

The numbers were also stamped on the blade, bail and like yours also numbered on the bone handle which was either burned in as you suggested or done with a dye of some sort. I have some of these knives with numbers in all the different places I just described.

Very nice old knife, thanks for showing it :)
AAPK Janitor
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

Someone on the British forum, an American actually, gave me some good info and it does look like the date is somewhere between mid 1800’s and 1910. The same guy also gave me a link to a WW1 forum where it might be possible to trace the service number burnt into the scales. Ill keep you posted.

gerry
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

Okay I've ventured into the other forum and I need a tin hat????
Anyway it looks like the knife may have been issued to an Edward GAY, who enlisted in the 1870s his official number was 93886. Just to throw a spanner in the works some times the soldiers or sailors also had a letter prefixing the number but didn't put that on their equipment. So it may not be him at all but he fits for now.

I emphasize the may.

gerry

Return to “European-made knives”