Clayton Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Capt. Farrel

Re: Clayton Knife

Post by Capt. Farrel »

Thank you Tom. Those Whittlers look fantastic. Too bad I can not import MOP into Germany without the danger of confiscation! :shock:
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Frank - If you buy them I'd be happy to store them for you ::super_happy:: Tom
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Capt. Farrel wrote:Thank you Tom. Those Whittlers look fantastic. Too bad I can not import MOP into Germany without the danger of confiscation! :shock:
What's their bureaucratic nonsense objection to MOP?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Jerry - bureaucratic objection, for sure - nonsense, that could be too!

CITES is the acronym for the international treaty governing trade and transport of endangered species. The acronym stands for: Convention International on Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna.

Protection of endangered species has become an important international priority over the past several decades as more and more species, both plant and animal, have come to face extinction or have become "endangered," "threatened" or "sensitive.” An important underlying premise of the CITES treaty, accurate or not, is that if trade and transport of the products and parts of protected endangered species are strictly controlled the killing, harming or "taking" of such species will be reduced. The thinking goes that, for example, fewer endangered sea turtles will be captured and fewer walrus killed if it is against the law to sell knives with handles made of those materials.

The treaty is the result of a resolution adopted in 1973 at a meeting of the World Conservation Union (IUCN). As of a few years ago approximately 33,000 species of plants and animals are affected by the CITES Treaty. In practice, penalties and enforcement vary widely from country to country. An important aspect of the treaty is establishing management and scientific authorities to determine what materials to seize and what to do with the confiscated products.

The final text of the treaty was determined at a meeting of representatives of 80 countries in Washington, D.C., held on March 3, 1973. The final draft of the treaty was then made available for signature by countries wishing to join the program through December 31, 1974. On July 1, 1975 the treaty became legally in force after ratification and signature by the 10th signatory country. As of June 17, 2008, 173 Countries had become parties to the convention.

The treaty applies to controlled flora and fauna, their export, re-export, import and introduction from the sea. There are three appendices to the treaty establishing a hierarchy of protection for threatened species of plants and animals. As of a few years ago these appendices list approximately 28,000 plant species and 5,000 animal species. Fortunately, very few are used in knife manufacturing however it does protect Mother of Pearl.

Here's a link to their website: http://www.cites.org/

Tom
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

Tom is right about that Jerry. I am not sure about several natural handle materials and German customs isn t too. If push comes to shove I will have to prove that the material is not from endangered species which I can t. They might even have an expert issue a certificate about it which I would have to pay. I called customs the other day and enquired about fossil mammoth ivory and they said that this would be extremely difficult. Even if I could prove it to be fossil it might be a "cultural asset" that can t be legally imported! ::facepalm::

To cut a long story short I try to steer clear of the exotic stuff, at least if it comes from outside of Europe. ::dang::
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Thought I would see if anyone has any info on the Digby's Kelham Island Knife I have . Pretty work on back spring & top of Blade ,Fit & Finish superior , Nice Half Stop & Great Snap . Quality work by a great Craftsman .
Gary ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_5685.JPG
IMG_5686.JPG
IMG_5687.JPG
IMG_5688.JPG
IMG_5689.JPG
IMG_5690.JPG
IMG_5692.JPG
IMG_5693.JPG
IMG_5695.JPG
IMG_5696.JPG