Clayton Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
smiling-knife

Clayton Knife

Post by smiling-knife »

I recently acquired this knife made by Graham Clayton. Clayton worked for Ibberson up until the mid 70s and then made knives under the trade name Digbys. This one was made in the early 1990s when Clayton displayed his talent at the Kellam Island Museum in Sheffield. Visitors could watch him make knives in his shop. Gr8 scout posted a few e.g.,s of Claytons work in an earlier thread. This knife is 5 inches long closed and the blade is about 4 inches long. :) s-k
Attachments
Clayton1.jpg
Clayton9.jpg
Clayton3.jpg
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) S-K; OUTSTANDING! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

wow, what a beautiful knife!
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Thank-you very much guys ::nod:: . It is one of my finest. :) s-k
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

Quite elegant and unique. I really like the front bolster design, flared. From there the design flows quite well for a sleek look. Thanks for sharing, that is a beautiful knife-skilfully done.
Hukk
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Very nice, s-k! ::tu:: ::tu::

Bill
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
Gr8Scout

Post by Gr8Scout »

Truly beautiful knife. I know you will value this one as much as I do my few Claytons. I mailed you the scans of the relevant pages (from the Kelhams Visiters guide) this morning.
Thanks for showing this one off. ONce more.. beautfiul work.
Phil
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Thanks guys and thanks very much Phil for sending me a copy of the visitors' guide. I appreciate it very much. :) s-k
Gunsmoke47
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Gunsmoke47 »

That's a real beauty s-k! ::tu:: ::tu::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Beautiful knife S-K ::tu:: ::tu::

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

A very beautiful piece of "bladed artwork" :) SK, he does fantastic work, very nice ::tu::

Sunburst
“The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways”
Forensic Jim

Knife

Post by Forensic Jim »

S-K that knife is really something. Thanks for sharing the photos. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
RIP Johnnie Rotten

So far, so good...So What!!
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

smiling-knife wrote:...It is one of my finest. :) s-k
I've heard that Clayton was one of the best makers of bowies as well.
I wonder if he's still around!
Super knife, s-k! ::tu::
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. As far as I know Graham is no longer making knives. I will try to find more information. :) s-k
stancaiman

Post by stancaiman »

nice knife : it's look like a laguiole (general design)
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Thanks for the responses guys :D Stan, yes it does have a similar smooth flow to Laguiole knives. The handle is much wider though.

I have a few French knives that I will post and hopefully you will be able to provide some information. Thanks :) s-k
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

stancaiman wrote:nice knife : it's look like a laguiole (general design)
Yes. A typically Western European design.
I think it's called Yatagan or something like that but I don't know the origin of the word.
stancaiman

Post by stancaiman »

Edgewise wrote:
stancaiman wrote:nice knife : it's look like a laguiole (general design)
Yes. A typically Western European design.
I think it's called Yatagan or something like that but I don't know the origin of the word.
yes it's a yatagan blade coming from the south of europe (spain). the legend say that the laguiole (by a knife maker nammed Calmels) was designed after he had see the knife belonging to the spanish workers (who come every spring working in this country). my english is very bad today, sorry
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

stancaiman wrote: my english is very bad today, sorry
No problem Stan, my French is nonexistent! :lol: :lol:

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
Gr8Scout

Post by Gr8Scout »

Stan, your English is better than that of many of our countrymen.

Phil
mickwhitt

Post by mickwhitt »

Hi All,

just made a member after seeing a thread about Graham Clayton. He was here at my house having a meal when we searched on his name.

He is alive and well and living in Sheffield. He stopped making knives commercially due to the downturn in business. He still makes the odd knife and does repairs as and when needed. Graham taught me to make knives and I now make the odd miniature as a hobby.

I have a couple of Clayton originals which I treasure. If anyone wants to know more about Graham and the knives he has made then I would be happy to ask him and post on this site. Who knows he may even fire up the grindstones and turn out some more of his unique work.

Mick.
Gr8Scout

Post by Gr8Scout »

Oh my gawd! This is just wonderful. Please, please, ask Mr. Clayton to join us here. I want to thank him in person for the great knives he has made, tell him how much I appreciate them and maybe ask some quesitons.

Thank you too!

Phil
mickwhitt

Post by mickwhitt »

Hi Phil,

no problem, I will speak to Graham and get him to answer any questions you may have. Please psot any questions here and I'll happily ask away. Graham has a very rare skill and it really upset me when he decided that he could no longer make knives full time. But you have to earn a living.

I will take some digital images of my Clayton knives and post them here for all to see.

Thanks,

Mick
Gr8Scout

Post by Gr8Scout »

My apologies for being tardy in posting again.

Still very excited that Mr. Clayton visited our site. Happy to show him a couple of his knives that I truly am happy and proud to own.

I collect texas toothpics, and have over a hundred of them, from 1907 to now. All five or five and a half inches long, some 4 1/4 inchers, but there is only one that measures six full inches, closed. Beautiful jigged bone handled, great polished blade. Tang mark is DIGBYS KELLAN ISLAND.

Also, showing a Britsh Commando type knife, in the sew on style sheath. Even has the 'thumb print' . Tang mark is DIGBYS.

And last, a knife I sometimes pocket carry. About the size of a Buck 112 Tanger. Nice lockback, blade etch: SWINDEN CLAYTON SHEFFIELD. I guess this was a knife made by Mr. Clayton and Roland Swinden.

In the preceeding posts, a mention is made of a nicely printed visiters guide to Kellam Island that I copied and sent to another member. Nice pics of some great knife makers at work.

I always wanted a Clayton bowie, hopefully someday I will find one.

Mr Clayton, welcome to our forum! My questions on these knives is mostly when they were made, approximately and any comments you wish to make.

Phil
Attachments
Clayton toothpick one.jpg
Clayton toothpick one.jpg (63.27 KiB) Viewed 7059 times
Clayton stiletto.jpg
Clayton stiletto.jpg (54.89 KiB) Viewed 7066 times
Swindon Clayton.jpg
Swindon Clayton.jpg (37.63 KiB) Viewed 7066 times
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Very nice Phil ::tu:: . Quite a variety. This is my little Digby's knife. I'm still looking for a copy of the Kelham Island Guide if anyone has a spare. Mick really looking forward to seeing your photos. :) s-k
Attachments
26-10-07 027.jpg
26-10-07 023.jpg

Return to “European-made knives”