Clayton Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Gr8Scout

Post by Gr8Scout »

Nice, S-K. I am impressed by the variety of knives made by Mr. Clayton.
Phil
mickwhitt

Post by mickwhitt »

Hi again,
I am really happy to report that Graham is just thrilled that his work is appreciated and that you guys are writing about him and his work. I worked down at Kelham with him on my days off to learn knife making, the museum is still there but now has no "lilttle mesters" working to show their skills. This is a real shame but in my opinion is indicative of the attitude which put Sheffield knives where they are today, ie. in a very unhealthy state.

On to specifics, the knives posted are nice examples of Grahams work at Kelham. I will ask him about the custom made ones directly so he can inform you more about them. Graham used to work in collaboration with Rowland Swinden, a knife grinder, who retired from Kelham some years ago to the south coast and is no longer involved in knifemaking. Rowland taught me about grinding and his work was amazing, hand ground blades which were perfect in every way. He is still in touch but happily enjoying his retirement.

Grahams work is nearly always workbacked, that is it has file work cut into the tang and springs. It took me for ever to learn how to use a file to create little diamonds and crosses and hollows and all. But it makes a knife stand apart from the crowd and I would know Grahams file work anywhere.

I will be seeing Graham next weekend and will post information relating to the knives pictured then. He retires from work in a couple of years and I am hopeful he will use his retirement to make a few customs knives from home. I am certainly pushing him into a home shop like mine. Watch this space.

Many thanks for the encouragement guys, Speak soon, Mick
mickwhitt

Post by mickwhitt »

Hi Phil,

the three knives you have shown images of are all made at Kelham Island in Sheffield. The lock back is a collaboration betweeen myself and my old colleague Rowland Swinden who worked as a knife grinder. We made this pattern between 1985 to 1990 approx.

The stiletto dagger with thumbprint on the tang would have been made around the same time. The blade was forged, then ground by Rowland before I finished and hafted the blade. The guard is nickel silver with hollows around the edge giving a scalloped effect.

The Toothpick is all hand made by me, with grinding by Rowland. I particularly like making folders as I was trained as a spring knife cutler. This knife would be made prior to 1993 when Rowland retired.

The small fixed blade knife in the next post shows the file work or "workbacking" which is a signature mark of my work. The patterns are random but are worked out for each knife as the size and shape allows. The random nature means no two knives are the same unless a customer specifically requested them to be so. The scales are Diamondwood called silverline which shows a nice figuring when worked.

I am very happy to see that my work is still in circulation and being appreciated. Although I no longer have a shop at Kelham island I make a small number of knives from my home workshop so if anyone wants to contact me then please do so via this page as I am not on the web and do not advertise my work widely. I still live in Sheffield and so my work is still Sheffield made Quality workmanship.

My friend Mick is typing this out for me as I am no computer whizz so please be patient if I don't respond too quickly.

Regards,

Graham Clayton, Cutler.
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Very nice to hear from you Graham. Thank-you very much for the information on the knives and for taking the time to post on the site. We would love to see more photos of your work. Mick mentioned having some for us awhile ago. If you have any knives for sale I am definitely interested. Take care, :D s-k
smiling-knife

Re: Clayton Knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Recently, I was fortunate enough to acquire this large Clayton 'Bowie' knife. The blade is 9.5 inches and the knife is 14.75 inches in length overall. It has beautiful file work on the guard and tang. The scales appear to be rosewood. :D :D s-k

Rust Never Sleeps
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

wow!
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
Gunsmoke47
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Gunsmoke47 »

That is simply AWESOME s-k!!! ::drool::
zorrothegreyblade

Post by zorrothegreyblade »

Now that IS quality! Think I'll throw all mine out and start again! :lol:
stop me when I get boring
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Thank-you very much for your comments guys. :D s-k
Rust Never Sleeps
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

smiling-knife wrote:Recently, I was fortunate enough to acquire this large Clayton 'Bowie' knife...
A knife that dreams are made of. S-K, "fortunate" is an understatement.
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Thanks very much edgewise. The knife really is spectacular. Everytime I walk by it I am forced to pick it up and admire it .

a few questions for Graham... hopefully he will visit here again in the near future.

What is the origin of the Digby's name? Why are some knives stamped Digby's and others with your own name? Thanks in advance.
Rust Never Sleeps
mickwhitt

Post by mickwhitt »

Hi Guys, Apologies for the delay, I have been busy making a knife rather than checking my mail. The bowie knife SK owns is a good example of my work, made at Kelham Island and ground by my old friend and colleague Rowland Swinden who has now sadly retired to the golf course. I got a lot of pleasure from making this kind of knife and over the years have made many, many of them.

In answer to the questions posed, The name Digby was invented by my old sales partner and I had marks made for the knives I sold through him in the States. When he went to shows he always looked smart and some guys nick named him Digby and the name sort of stuck. I still have the original stamps used to mark my blades. The knives marked Graham Clayton were made for the English market and sold here on a custom basis.

The image attached is a knife I just finished making for my son's 40th birthday gift.

Hope this assists, Graham Clayton
Attachments
Edale stag.jpg
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

need more sons? :lol: beautiful knife.
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Thanks very much for your reply to my questions Graham. That is a very fine knife ::tu:: ::tu:: I am sure your son will be thrilled with it. Drop by again soon. I'd like to hear about using the parser if you wouldn't mind. :D s-k
Rust Never Sleeps
Gr8Scout

Post by Gr8Scout »

Graham and Mick,
Thanks for the information about my knives. I am proud to own them.
Phil
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

My fourth Clayton knife. Similar to that posted by Gr8scout, this is a 3.5 inch lock-back with rosewood scales. With a little decoration on the top of the blade, this is a really classy little knife. We haven't heard from Graham for awhile... I hope you are OK. :D s-k

Rust Never Sleeps
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

I realize this thread is about 5 years old but just happened to acquire a Digby and wanted to share. What do you think? What appears to be marks/spots on the blade are not spots but are reflections.
Attachments
IMAG0009.jpg
IMAG0010.jpg
IMAG0011.jpg
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

OMG, those knives are awesome! ::mdm:: As it seems British knives are not easy to aquire and often sold out. Where or how can I buy a Graham Clayton knife? ::hmm::
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Attachments
smDSC_0090.JPG
smDSC_0090.JPG (112.76 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

......also lot 259
Attachments
smDSC_0689.JPG
smDSC_0689.JPG (101.24 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

Thank you Tom. Those Whittlers look fantastic. Too bad I can not import MOP into Germany without the danger of confiscation! :shock:
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Frank - If you buy them I'd be happy to store them for you ::super_happy:: Tom
Tom
AAPK Administrator

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Capt. Farrel wrote:Thank you Tom. Those Whittlers look fantastic. Too bad I can not import MOP into Germany without the danger of confiscation! :shock:
What's their bureaucratic nonsense objection to MOP?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Jerry - bureaucratic objection, for sure - nonsense, that could be too!

CITES is the acronym for the international treaty governing trade and transport of endangered species. The acronym stands for: Convention International on Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna.

Protection of endangered species has become an important international priority over the past several decades as more and more species, both plant and animal, have come to face extinction or have become "endangered," "threatened" or "sensitive.” An important underlying premise of the CITES treaty, accurate or not, is that if trade and transport of the products and parts of protected endangered species are strictly controlled the killing, harming or "taking" of such species will be reduced. The thinking goes that, for example, fewer endangered sea turtles will be captured and fewer walrus killed if it is against the law to sell knives with handles made of those materials.

The treaty is the result of a resolution adopted in 1973 at a meeting of the World Conservation Union (IUCN). As of a few years ago approximately 33,000 species of plants and animals are affected by the CITES Treaty. In practice, penalties and enforcement vary widely from country to country. An important aspect of the treaty is establishing management and scientific authorities to determine what materials to seize and what to do with the confiscated products.

The final text of the treaty was determined at a meeting of representatives of 80 countries in Washington, D.C., held on March 3, 1973. The final draft of the treaty was then made available for signature by countries wishing to join the program through December 31, 1974. On July 1, 1975 the treaty became legally in force after ratification and signature by the 10th signatory country. As of June 17, 2008, 173 Countries had become parties to the convention.

The treaty applies to controlled flora and fauna, their export, re-export, import and introduction from the sea. There are three appendices to the treaty establishing a hierarchy of protection for threatened species of plants and animals. As of a few years ago these appendices list approximately 28,000 plant species and 5,000 animal species. Fortunately, very few are used in knife manufacturing however it does protect Mother of Pearl.

Here's a link to their website: http://www.cites.org/

Tom
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

Tom is right about that Jerry. I am not sure about several natural handle materials and German customs isn t too. If push comes to shove I will have to prove that the material is not from endangered species which I can t. They might even have an expert issue a certificate about it which I would have to pay. I called customs the other day and enquired about fossil mammoth ivory and they said that this would be extremely difficult. Even if I could prove it to be fossil it might be a "cultural asset" that can t be legally imported! ::facepalm::

To cut a long story short I try to steer clear of the exotic stuff, at least if it comes from outside of Europe. ::dang::
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!

Return to “European-made knives”