Pakistan Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Cfaniak

Pakistan Knives

Post by Cfaniak »

Hi guys, I was buying mixed groups of knives (mostly for spare parts/repair) on ebay - most sellers put few decent knives to catch your eye and they put them together with some inexpensive (mostly China ::td:: ) products, and lately I got several Pakistani made knives and to my surprise some Pakis are good quality. My question is what you guys think about made in Pakistan knives like Bullet, Invicta, Olympia etc. ?
SteelMyHeart85420

Re: Pakistan Knives

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

They still have that word on the blade, and do not interest me. They probably do make some better blades, I don't have or need one...I DO need more USA knives, tho... ::clapping::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Seems like most knives that I've run across marked Pakistan, are not at all desirable. It's interesting that you have found some of good quality. It's usually the fit and finish that gets my attention 1st, when you can feel the joint where the bolster and handle join, then next it's a blade edge that feels like a hack saw ::shrug::, on and on it goes.... I've seen quite a few China made knives that are pretty slick, but like SteelMyHeart, U.S.A. really needs to be on the tang ::tu:: . The influx of so many foreign made lockbacks to copy the Buck 110 style and now the imported "tacticals" are causing young buyers to buy a "Zombie killer" or what ever. They have no idea of what makes a real pocketknife :( . On the other hand, a Pakistan knife is probably better than no knife at all ::nod:: .
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

treefarmer wrote:On the other hand, a Pakistan knife is probably better than no knife at all ::nod:: .
Treefarmer
I guess. If it's primary purpose is going to be as a paperweight. I have yet to see a knife made by Paki Stan that was worth the energy expended to throw it in the trash. I liken them to a condom with a hole in it.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

Thanks, I'm now wearing my morning cawfee.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

pakastan knives ...... I don't know how they could be considered anything but the trash that they are.
Joe
Cfaniak

Post by Cfaniak »

Some of you should be comedians ::ds:: hehe no I don't want to put Pakis in the same line with US or European (like German) knives, maybe i got it wrong with "good quality" I wanted to say "work horse" ::smirk:: and im talking about one knife - right now im chopping wood with it :mrgreen: let see how long it will last
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Knives made in Pakistan are Rodney Dangerfield knives. They don't get no respect.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

And by the way, Cfaniak, welcome here. ::handshake::
Joe
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Welcome to AAPK. ::tu::
Most of the Pakistan knives I have seen are of such low quality I will throw them away, I don't even keep them for parts. Of course they don't fit American knives anyway.

I became aware of Pakistani knives in the 1980s when I managed the cutlery store. We used a 150 grit composition wheel to sharpen knives, a system we got from Gerber. I found that Pakistan steel was very inconsistent and would have little pieces of carbon (I think) in them. When you hit one of those hard spots it would chip the stone and you would get hit in the face with fine stone particles. I stopped sharpening Pakistani knives because of damage to the stone and the safety of the operator, usually me.

Eventually we did sharpen them again when we added a belt sander for some sharpening applications. I have seen Chinese knives improve dramatically in the last ten to fifteen years, both in quality and fit & finish. Since the 1980s I have not seen any significant improvement in the Pakistani knives I have encountered. Personally I think there is a cultural bias of some sort against change &/or progress among the Pakistani knife companies. I don't think that bias exists in China as I have observed a great deal of positive change in their knives in the last 10 years.

That is my 2¢ worth on the matter.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Probably the best quality Pakistan made knife I have run across was in the 1980's when I acquired a copy of a 65 pattern Case made by Bullet knives. A small bullet shield on camel bone jigged scales and surprisingly good F&F. The steel did seem a bit soft but fairly consistent. That was the last one I saw that exhibited anything resembling quality.
I would concur that the Chinese knife industry has brought up it's standards more quickly than Japan did in the 1980's. I have acquired several Chinese knives that are actually of great quality;especially in the finish department.
It will be interesting to see what this "currency adjustment" in China recently will have on knife prices.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

In the early eighties BRK was wholesaling a brand from Pakistan called Comanche Cutlery. All the knives I remember were wood handled lock backs and the fit and finish was surprisingly good on all of them. The smallest, called the Cat Cub, sold for 66 cents each purchased by the dozen. The largest, that looked to be a direct copy of a Schrade LB7 cost $3 each. Although I never actually used any of the big LB7 type they were very well made. They weren't as slick as a Schrade but tight and sturdy for a working man's knife.

I had a knife shop booth at an indoor flea market in Houston at the time and I would pair the big knives with Schrade LB7 sheaths seconds that cost $1 each. For a total of $4 it was a price point that was unbeatable and I made quite a bit of my booth rent selling the big Comanche knives combined with the Schrade sheaths. Never had anyone return with a complaint about the knives.

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

The steel on 2 Paki Bowies is totally different.
The bottom one was like sharpening a washboard. The Rat tail stag knife sharpened up just fine. I use them to slash away at the bushes and palm trees down here.
Attachments
Asst Fixed Blades 026.JPG
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

Post by JACK OF ALL TIRADES »

Just wanted to show off my Paki--Buck special folder. I will dig it out. I have had it longer than any other, around 1982. It is fairly well made and tight. A year or so ago, I cleaned it for 1st time including melted plastic and soot on blade from cutting/ melting plastics. I sharpened and polished with rouge and fixed an alignment problem. Ill dig it out
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

Post by JACK OF ALL TIRADES »

I hope this is ok to post and intrude on the OPs post but here is a genuine Paki knife. I guess its alright and considering the topic, this subject is probably rare-ish :D

PS I tried and gave up on disassembling this and, after reading some posts here, I am thrilled to have not wrecked knife. I had no idea a pin would not just push out.
Attachments
IMG_1365.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am old enough to remember when "Made in Japan" signified a toy so junky it broke before you got home not matter how careful you were. That sure has changed.
I also remember when "Made in China" nearly always signified a very low grade product. This has sure changed. Everyone of us is on a "Made in China" computer right now. Same for their knives. If you are unsure of this buy one of the AGR Texas Ranger knives for a custom level of fit and finish that will truly amaze you.
Most likely Pakistan will undergo this same evolution into ever higher quality products. I think it is only a matter of a few years until some of the knives made in Pakistan are of top quality. And, why not ? Pakistan is a nation with scientists and engineers able to design and build their own nuclear weapons, so they can manage top quality knives when they decide to.
kj

Return to “European-made knives”