Frosolone Sfilato

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
LongBlade

Frosolone Sfilato

Post by LongBlade »

Here is another one of those search and find knives at those off the road barns, and I couldn't refuse at the price to add it to my collection - it is really a solid knife... made in Frosolone Italy - believe it is a sfilato but very old... I was told it was made at the turn of the 19th-20th century... maybe late 1800s... carbon steel blade with nice swedge... iron coffin bolsters and liners... I believe the scales are buffalo (?) horn... cracked on the front handle but other than that not in bad shape.. snaps like a bear trap and nice half-stop as well.. The tang stamp is wierd... actually stamped upside down according to normal convention - and though I haven't seen many sfilatos from Frosolone most of them were stamped on the blade with a maker name and Frosolone - and I have never seen any this vintage. I do know there was at least 85 workshops in Frosolone in the late 1800s from my background search... no maker mark here just Frosolone... I doubt this is counterfeit but again curious as to whether anybody has any info on these type of knives and comments etc on this one... (I promise after this one to start posting some of the American made knives from New England in my collection as I take the photos - thought I would get some of these mystery knives into the mix first.. :D )

Thanks!
DSCN3245A.jpg
DSCN3398A.jpg
DSCN3170A.jpg
DSCN3152A1.jpg
DSCN3158A.jpg

Re: Frosolone Sfilato

Post by knife7knut »

Nice one! How long is it;looks to be about 5-6 inch blade.Here is my one and only Frosolone knife.
Attachments
FrosoloneKnife 001.jpg
FrosoloneKnife 002.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice knife7knut!! Great to see another nice oldie from Frosolone - nice that yours has a maker on it as well! Pivot bolsters are fairly similar but that is cool that yours has a bail whereas mine has another coffin bolster. What are the scales on your handle - smooth bone? How about liners? Actually my blade is about the same as your knife - mine is just a tad short of 4"... handle closed is about 4 7/8" - so maybe slightly smaller than yours from the pic... You have a guess on age of your Frosolone?

Lee

Post by knife7knut »

LongBlade wrote:Nice knife7knut!! Great to see another nice oldie from Frosolone - nice that yours has a maker on it as well! Pivot bolsters are fairly similar but that is cool that yours has a bail whereas mine has another coffin bolster. What are the scales on your handle - smooth bone? How about liners? Actually my blade is about the same as your knife - mine is just a tad short of 4"... handle closed is about 4 7/8" - so maybe slightly smaller than yours from the pic... You have a guess on age of your Frosolone?

Lee
Hello Lee:
The scales are cow horn and I believe the liners are iron(I'll have to dig it out and take a couple more pics).The closed length is just under 7 inches and the blade nearly the same.It is a handful!
As for age I would be guessing but I feel it is early 20th century.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “European-made knives”