Aird & Anderson Horseman's Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
cdguck

Aird & Anderson Horseman's Knife

Post by cdguck »

Alright, this is my last "help, I'm looking for information" post of the day. I have a Aird & Anderson stamped Horseman's Knife. The only information I can find on Aird & Anderson is that the company was in Liverpool in the late 1800's (1892 to be exact) and that they were silversmiths. Has anyone come across other knives from this maker?
Attachments
IMG_4611.JPG
IMG_4613.JPG
„Er aber, sag’s ihm, er kann mich im Arsche lecken!“
- Götz von Berlichingen (Goethe)
knife7knut

Re: Aird & Anderson Horseman's Knife

Post by knife7knut »

A beautiful old horseman's knife to be sure! I think that they were probably made for A&A by another company such as Joseph Rodgers or George Wostenholm.If they were indeed silversmiths they may have made the shield used on the knife.Most companies of that era were single purpose;i.e.: cutlers made knives,scissors,and other cutting tools.I don't recall ever hearing of a silversmith that was also in the cutlery business.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
dkonopinski

Post by dkonopinski »

What a great knife.

I have to agree with k7k as far as it's manufacture is concerned. However, I think A & A were makers of woodworking planes. I have a mate who is a joiner and a life-long collector of woodworking planes and tools and he may know something helpful. I'll ask him and report back if he does.

Really great knife.

David
"Actually, I was looking to gain an edge." - Lone Watie
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

If that knife has proven to be too bothersome for you, I'll be more that willing to take it off your hands. That sir, is a fantastic piece of cutlery. ::tu:: ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wonderful old knife.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
dkonopinski

Post by dkonopinski »

dkonopinski wrote:What a great knife.

I have to agree with k7k as far as it's manufacture is concerned. However, I think A & A were makers of woodworking planes. I have a mate who is a joiner and a life-long collector of woodworking planes and tools and he may know something helpful. I'll ask him and report back if he does.

Really great knife.

David

He doesn't. :(
"Actually, I was looking to gain an edge." - Lone Watie
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I rode when I was 11, and as a Christmas gift one time, I was given one of those cheap behemoth horseman's knives Tractor Supply used to carry in the tack area. It was pretty much a lemon, it did nothing all that well. Around that same time was when I started collecting knives, and I wanted the Victorinox Equestrian (now retired, but still fairly reasonable at $40). It would have been great to come across one of these.

That's a great looking old knife! I especially like the bone handles. I didn't realize the tweezers and toothpick accessories (I always use) had been on knives that long. The Swiss Army Knife Wiki says Victorinox started adding those accessories in 1902. I thought they meant 1992, but that sounds about right given this knife is much older.

Return to “European-made knives”