Two all metal Solingen pocket knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Capt. Farrel

Two all metal Solingen pocket knives

Post by Capt. Farrel »

These two came up a few days ago. There were quite affordable and I was curious so I bought them.
They come is the typical all-metal style like so many other gentlemens and promotion/advertising knives in their time.
The one with the brass handles and the farmer scene is made by Harrington Cutlery Co. in Solingen.
Wiki says:
"The Harrington Cutlery Company was established in 1818, in Southbridge, Massachusetts by Henry Harrington, a New England craftsman and inventor. The Harrington Cutlery company was the first cutlery manufacturing company established in the United States. Harrington manufactured surgical equipment, shoe knives and firearms. Some of his firearms are on display at the Old Sturbridge Village Museum in Sturbridge, MA. In 1884, Harrington introduced the Dexter trade name. Named after one of his sons, Dexter Harrington, the Dexter line of kitchen and table cutlery became known for its high quality in American homes and restaurants."

The other one with hounds and fox is made by Louis Perlmann in Solingen. He made knives and razors under the brand names "LouPer" and "Flamme" which means "flame" in German.

Both knives have a nice size which makes them easy for pocketing. Guess I need another one to EDC it ... ::hmm:: :mrgreen:
Attachments
DSCN4567.JPG
DSCN4568.JPG
DSCN4569.JPG
DSCN4570.JPG
DSCN4571.JPG
DSCN4572.JPG
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
outofplace

Re: Two all metal Solingen pocket knives

Post by outofplace »

Frank,
Those are some Great looking knives! You are lucky, to be in Germany and to find so many Good, Clean Knives. If I ever make it back over there maybe we can get together for a Beer and a Brat! Don
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

Thank you Don! Let me know whenever you make it so we can have abeer together and talk knives. ::tu::
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Cool knives Frank. ::tu:: That style knife would make a fantastic collection in and of themselves.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

You re right Phil! Unfortunately they don t come cheap when they show up here. I was lucky with those two, they had a good price.
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Frank:Those are two very nice looking knives but I'm wondering about their age.Although I have seen(and own)a couple of old aluminum and brass handled knives they seem to be different.
The brass looks almost like it was chemically discolored(the dark areas)and coated with a clear finish.The other one the color of the metal looks new.Were they represented as being old?. I'm not trying to denigrate them;I'm just curious.

EDIT:Here are a couple examples of steel;aluminum;and brass ad knives;most of which are from Germany.
Attachments
AdvertisingKnives 004.jpg
AdvertisingKnives 005.jpg
AdvertisingKnives 013.jpg
AdvertisingKnives 036.jpg
AdvertisingKnives 038.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

Those are some very beautyful knives you got there! ::woot:: I am not sure about mine. They weren´t described as "vintage" and there is a lot of NOS coming from Solingen these days. They might even be build from NOS-parts. The handles look really new to me but the blades and their stamping not. I am sure that neither "Flamme" nor "Harrington" are in existence today. ::hmm:: Anyhow, they weren´t expensive and I like them... ::shrug::
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!

Return to “European-made knives”