Mercury from Maniago

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Mercury from Maniago

Post by joeradza »

I’d been lusting after a large single blade stag similar to a Puma or a Weidmannsheil. I settled on a Mercury from Maniago, Italy. I wasn’t familiar with that company but was impressed with others from that region. I picked a 4 1/2” stag lockback. I received it the other day. On first examination I was quite happy with the size, the matching even stag and its overall looks. What do you think?
But then I saw THIS!! The blade is so off center my heart dropped. I don’t think it’s touching the liners (it’s close) because I don’t see any marks on the blade. The dealer said he will take it back, but I’m hoping he has another to exchange. I know many say it’s cosmetic, but it is one of my pet peeves. However, I’m getting attached to it and I may just keep it.
Attachments
6C019D41-C534-41E7-9793-98D593D53D01.jpeg
AFA6AA0A-4F05-41B2-9745-8F1F69B3CD8C.jpeg
ACD022F8-0625-4E07-85CE-51787C147BBD.jpeg
rea1eye

Re: Mercury from Maniago

Post by rea1eye »

I think it is a wonderful looking knife. The off-center blade bothers
me only slightly.

It seems as though you are very particular. So you should either
return it or get an exchange.

I don't think you can bend it. It would be difficult and probably
would not be to your satisfaction. ( Others may pipe in and
say differently).

Hoping for your complete satisfaction.

Bob
eveled

Post by eveled »

Everyone has a pet peeve. Yours is a silly one. 😂

The knife is beautiful I’d love to give it some pocket time. If the blade is straight when the knife is open, it’s good in my book. What difference does it make if it’s centered when closed?

With that said, if it bothers you return it.
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

It is straight when opened, but the seller who was very understanding and offered to pay for the return shipping and a complete refund said he has another. I returned it today for an exchange. I would’ve kept it if he didn’t have another. Btw, someone else commented that the blade has a severe recurve which bothered them. I guess we all have the things that drive us nuts.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

joeradza wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:22 pm It is straight when opened, but the seller who was very understanding and offered to pay for the return shipping and a complete refund said he has another. I returned it today for an exchange. I would’ve kept it if he didn’t have another. Btw, someone else commented that the blade has a severe recurve which bothered them. I guess we all have the things that drive us nuts.
I was going to say just keep it, until I looked at the picture.
Off center blades usually are no big deal to me, but that thing is way off.
I too, would have sent it back.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

I looked on eBay. The knives there have the blade just near the
liner also.

Bob
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

rea1eye wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:08 pm I looked on eBay. The knives there have the blade just near the
liner also.

Bob
I liked the knife enough to keep it as long as it wasn’t against the liner. I just took a screenshot of this one from eBay. It looks fine. I hope the next one looks like this.
Attachments
A170DEAA-EB0D-43A2-9C8D-59FC7EF9EE56.jpeg
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

If the blade hadn’t been off center, I would’ve owned a real nice large stag lockback like I wanted. The seller offered me a refund but said he had another if I wanted an exchange. Now, I don’t have a nice knife I have a very special piece. I bought this because I couldn’t/wouldn’t spend the money for a vintage German knife. I want to thank Mike Latham of Collector Knives for bringing the Maniago cutlers to my attention. If not for him I would not have had the faith to take the chance on this Mercury. This is a superb knife.
Attachments
C39DB829-BE51-4C3F-ADBD-5D7B55774C9E.jpeg
68081A93-84CA-4FB7-B55D-0B566BEE0FFE.jpeg
5194239B-650E-40F1-AF25-51961194FD84.jpeg

Return to “European-made knives”