Any idea who is making the "new" J Russell Green River Knive

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Owd Wullie

Any idea who is making the "new" J Russell Green River Knive

Post by Owd Wullie »

in Solingen?

Pictures look nice.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
dkonopinski

Re: Any idea who is making the "new" J Russell Green River Knive

Post by dkonopinski »

I'm not sure. The only Russell Green River Works knife I've got is a stockman which apart from the branding is identical in every way to my Henckels stockman. It wouldn't surprise me if they were both made by Boker.

David
"Actually, I was looking to gain an edge." - Lone Watie
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

I just won one one ebay for 20 bucks shipped. I'll let ya know when it gets here, what it looks and feels like. FOr that kind of $$ I don't mind skinning it up wagging it around in a pocket. And if it is a Boker in a funny dress, so much the better. :lol:
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
TM

Post by TM »

Wullie - I think Boker was making them. The Boker barlows were identical to those Russell barlows also.
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

I agree, I got the knife and compared it to a Boker trapper. Other than the markings, they are pretty much identical.

I posted the pics in this thread.
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... =2&t=12393

Check it out. :)

Thanks,
W
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Hi Wullie,
I have seen those knives for sale in the SMKW catalog. I checked their online catalog and found a listing for them, but they show no knives now in inventory. I have sent SMKW an email asking where those knives were made but so far have not recieved a reply. (Good Friday, May have been short staffed) I think you are correct in suspecting Boker made them. I have a suspicion that SMKW has acquired the rights to the brand. Seems like I heard them allude to that on the Knives Live show one time. If so, what you want to bet they start shipping in the new ones fresh from China before long? They are buying up the rights to a lot of the older defunct brands and having knives produced under that name overseas. They recently acquired United Cutlery brand. They also own the Robeson name, but so far they have had those knives made by Queen here at home.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Hey Philco,

I suspect that you are correct and also expect most of the "old names" in cutlery will be mfd'd in China and PROUDLY sold in the good ol' U S of A.

Sad.

One thing I have noticed in the few months that I've started fooling with knives again is, that it seems like knife makers are starting to resemble the "custom bike makers". That is, they make something very special, very expensive, and pretty much not meant to be used for anything other than owning. Nothing wrong with collecting. However most of the old really collectible knives of yesteryear were meant to be used. The ones that didn't get used bring the most money but they weren't sold with the intent to set 'em in a drawer and drag 'em out and wipe 'em down and put 'em back up.

I love knives. I don't have the jack to buy whatever I like when I see it, but, I'm trying to get a few back in my possession like or similar to what I used to mess with and wear out and lose or trade off 20-30 years ago.

I think the market has set the precedent for the influx of Chinese knives. The biggest majority of pocket knives will go in a pocket. Most guys won't spend a C-note on a knife that might get lost or broken from everyday use. Take Case knives for example. I grew up with 'em. They weren't the cheapest knife to buy and carry but they were great knives until around 1970 or so. I fell out of love with Case. I started carrying a Schlieper and loved it. Boy have they gone through the roof price wise... Seems to me that Case just wants to sell "special" stuff to look pretty.

As for the buying of names and re-making things? GEC appears to me make some awesome stuff with old knife names. The real "old" Northfields and such still command a high price when they come available and most of those are well used.

I guess there are really two markets in the pocket knife "bidness". Both have their place. I'm not sure the "collector" market will pay the all the bills. Especially with the upcoming/impending/current downturn in our economy. So, I think that the using end of the spectrum will be stronger and people will try to get the bang for the buck whether it be a chinese knife or domestic.

I've been wrong before. Back when I made fixed blade knives in the 80's. I tried to cater the using end of the market. The guys that built the super fancy stuff are still making and selling super fancy stuff and I've been out of business for a long time. ;)
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

philco wrote:Hi Wullie,
I have seen those knives for sale in the SMKW catalog. I checked their online catalog and found a listing for them, but they show no knives now in inventory. I have sent SMKW an email asking where those knives were made but so far have not recieved a reply. (Good Friday, May have been short staffed) I think you are correct in suspecting Boker made them. I have a suspicion that SMKW has acquired the rights to the brand. Seems like I heard them allude to that on the Knives Live show one time. If so, what you want to bet they start shipping in the new ones fresh from China before long? They are buying up the rights to a lot of the older defunct brands and having knives produced under that name overseas. They recently acquired United Cutlery brand. They also own the Robeson name, but so far they have had those knives made by Queen here at home.

Phil
I have recieved a reply from SMKW about the source of these knives. Here's what they had to say..............

"Boker no longer manufacturers the Russell knives. There is no plan, that I know of, to have some other company make the Russell Knives. I have asked our purchasing, catalog, and collectables departments, 'Who owns the rights to the Russell name?' None were able to answer the question.
Thank you for your inquiry."

Regards,

Bill Mauter
Smoky Mountain Knife Works
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From that response, it is clear to me that Boker did make the Russell knives but no longer does so. I apparently was incorrect in thinking that SMKW has bought the rights to the Russell name. I still fully expect to see Russell knives coming out of China in the not too distant future.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Interesting,

Guess I'll put it up and find something else to carry.. :roll: LOL

Thanks for the info. ::tu::
W

Return to “European-made knives”