Duane Dieter MOD CQD

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
Rayblocker

Duane Dieter MOD CQD

Post by Rayblocker »

I'm new to the site but recently found a Duane Dieter MOD CQD folder buried in the mud. It was amazingly rust free except for the locking mechanisms and it is very stiff to open. I've soaked it in wd40 so the blade opens stiffly but it needs to be taken apart and thoroughly cleaned/repaired. It's a nice knife and I wouldn't mind sending it out if anyone has any ideas. I'm unable to get the screws out that hold it together although I've yet to go medieval on its ass. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
image.jpg
junebug

Re: Duane Dieter MOD CQD

Post by junebug »

COOL KNIFE!!!
& WELCOME TO AAPK!!

I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE KNIFE....BUT I HAVE THE TOOLS, & WOULD BE WILLING TO HELP YOU ON TAKE DOWN AND CLEANING, IF YOU DON'T /CAN'T DO IT?????
NO CHARGE, JUST PAY SHIPPING BOTH WAYS.... ::tu::
LEMME KNOW ::tu::
JUNEBUG 8) 8)
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
Rayblocker

Post by Rayblocker »

Thanks Junebug. It's an assisted opener and fairly rare made by MOD. They are manufactured by someone else now and the steel isn't as good. Just what I've read through google searches. I've never had any of my assisted openers apart so not sure how complicated they are internally. Can't be to much rocket surgery I'm thinking. I nearly broke the Allen trying to get it loose. Think it may take some impact to get it if not heat. I can do a little of pretty much everything but only a few things well. Not sure if this is one of those things.
junebug

Post by junebug »

3 day oil soak.......
if screws still tight = heat will loosen the LOCK-TITE that was used.

i would think they used BLUE LOCK-TITE ::nod::

SOME SUGGEST BLOW DRYER....SOME A HEAT GUN (BE CAREFUL WITH LATTER!!!)
:shock: :mrgreen:

MAKE SURE YOU USE "PROFESSIONAL GRADE TOOLS" (snap-on ,mac,matco,xcelon,etc,etc,etc)
cheaper tools - craftsman,lowes or home depot brand -just ta name a couple) will STRIP THE SCREWS
-THE TOLERANCES ARE TO LOOSE AND GALL THE SIDEWALLS OF SCREW HEAD - AKA YER SCREWED, NOT THE SCREW ...... ::dang:: ...... ::super_happy::

GOOD LUCK
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”