Why carry modern?

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
On Edge

Why carry modern?

Post by On Edge »

I love knives. All kindsa knives.

I really appreciate some of the old school traditionals for their uniqueness, build quality, and the "story" they tell ...
I love me some GECs (and other currently produced slipjoints) for build, variety of handles and patterns, and their ability to let us visit the old days ... plus it does my heart good to know stuff like that is still made ...
And I really like the "modern" (aka: tactical) knives for their employment of modern steels, their attention to ergonomics, and their ease of deployment ... but the ability to "one hand" a knife is the single biggest reason I carry these.

So of all the unique characteristics they bring, what are your main reasons for carrying "modern" knives?
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves."

~ Albert Einstein
MITCH RAPP

Re: Why carry modern?

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: Well Said! I agree 110%.
MITCH

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
"So far,So good...So What!" - Johnnie Samples
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

I rarely carry a modern folder these days, but when I do it is due to ease and speed of deployment (one handed). For example if I know I am going to have to put away a 350 piece delivery that includes de-boxing everything, I will most likely carry the Benchmade Grip/ mini Grip or the Spyderco Manix 2 lightweight. However, after I am done with that portion of the day, I will swap that modern out for a traditional...Also, since I don't have any sort of emotional or asthetic attachment to the moderns, I am a lot more willing to "beat on them" so to speak, get them gunked up with tape, glue, paint etc... without worry.

Also, if I am going into an area where I would feel a little better having something on my person for potential self defense purposes, I will clip on the Spyderco. I don't have any delusions about getting into a knife fight, believe me, but that little extra piece of mind is nice to have. I do have a concealed carry permit, but don't feel comfortable toting a firearm when I have the kids with me.

If I would ever have to extricate myself or a loved one from any type of emergency situation that would involve use of a blade, the one hand deployment would definitely be a benefit.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
junebug

Post by junebug »

i also agree 100% ,EDGE.......well said ::tu::

NO REAL ORDER........
1. useful tool
2. self defense/emergency TOOL WITH INSTANT ACCESS
3. pocket clip - lends to HANDY-NESS
4. one hand operation
5. styling/looks (talkin more today LOOKS/STYLE/FEATURES/MATERIALS, nothin' ta do with "TACTICAL")
6. metal choices - not a biggy to me....but it is a cool part of the hobby.
7. collectible- like most here realize with OLD or new...not best way ta make $$$,but some do appreciate in value.
8.COOL FACTOR....... 8) 8) NUFF SAID ::super_happy::

MAYBE I WILL THINK OF MORE REASONS I LOVE MA "MODERN/NEW STYLE" (MOSTLY SPYDERCO) KNIVES :mrgreen: ....... BUT THATS ALL I GOT ,THIS SECOND. ::tu::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Same for me Edgy,
Seems every time I wanna cut something, one hand is already busy - holding what I wanna cut.
So the convenience of single hand opening is the main reason I carry a modern knife.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

There I was on a ladder holding a piece of 750 mcm cable in my right hand and needing my Buck .112. to strip it and could not reach my Buck on my right hip with my left hand so my apprentice had to toss me his :x so I proceded to cut in the cable ::facepalm:: that friday my apprentices bought me a Benchmade with a note to slide that cliped knife in my left front pocket then I'll have a knife too reach with either hand ::mdm:: now I'm hooked :)
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

One handed opening is the biggest reason I carry one.
I also like some of the "super Steels" though I find some are highly over rated!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

I used to carry tactical knives a lot for a couple of reasons even though I prefer the look of traditional patterns. First was because tactical knives are just better quality than most any slipjoint out there. I've long since soured on knives made by companies like Case and Queen. While great-looking knives, I find them to be severely lacking as users. Second is that I prefer stainless steel to carbon steel. GEC makes great quality traditional patterns, but I don't buy them because most have carbon steel blades. For me, higher end stainless steel beats out higher end carbon steel in terms of toughness, edge retention, and overall usefulness. Though I do agree with Dale about some of the super steels out there. Most I've found to be only marginally better than say ATS-34 or CPM-154 and aren't worth the extra $$$ in my opinion.

Nowadays I tend to carry custom slipjoints. I get the beauty of traditional patterns with the durability and quality of high end stainless steel. I do carry Benchmades and Spydercos, though, when I need a larger, sturdier knife.
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

I carry both modern and classic slippies every day.

I will say that the modern gets more use for the same reason that everyone else has said. Ease of quick access (pocket clip) and one hand open and close. It would also be a last ditch protection or main escape user if needed for those purposes. I also have way less problems when using the modern for nasty applications.

I have been carrying traditionals since way before moderns became the new thing. Traditionals will always be my true love but both do well in their perspective needs and uses for me.

With either style it still comes down to the quality of the tool. You usually get what you pay for, within reason.

Here's the two that have gotten the most carry time as of late.
Attachments
100_3797.JPG
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

garddogg56 wrote:"There I was on a ladder holding a piece of 750 mcm cable in my right hand … ")
750 MCM is some big stuff, Dogg! You're lucky it didn't pull you off da ladder!

I still got a short length of 500 next to the bed (taped the ends of course) … call it my "quiet peacekeeper" … ;)

~ edge
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves."

~ Albert Einstein
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

I have a piece of 750 with the strands turned out under the drivers seat of my truck ::uc:: and Edgy it's good for the arm-wrestling muskles :wink:
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

garddogg56 wrote:I have a piece of 750 with the strands turned out under the drivers seat of my truck ::uc:: and Edgy it's good for the arm-wrestling muskles :wink:
Indeed it is … ::nod::

You reminded about a car I sold a while back … had a piece of that same 500 tucked between driver's seat and console - it was a perfect fit, ya couldn't even tell it was there .. kept it there for my 'arm wrestling muscles' as well. :wink:
Problem was, it was so well concealed I forgot about it when I sold the car! ::dang::
I have often wondered if anyone ever even found it - it was that perfect a 'fit' … probably got scrapped with that hunk of copper still in it … ::smirk::

Ahh ... them's was the days …

~ Albert Einstein
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

That they was Edgey that they was ::facepalm::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I carry a modern knife from time to time. I just can't ignore such a beautifully made and designed knife.
Besides it opens up a whole new world of knife ownership and we all know that's OK.

Dogg and Edge, what is this mcm your talking about? A heavy duty electric line? Sounds interesting.
Sort of like an antagonist adjustment mechanism, eh.

EDIT: I meant to post a Picture.
Attachments
IMG_4299.JPG
Joe
flangster

Post by flangster »

Ditto on one-handed open. I have a little 14-foot Chrysler Dagger, a sailboat that Chrysler made in the 70's to compete with the Lazer. Picked it up dirt cheap with a light trailer. When I am sailing, I often have either one hand on the sheet or one hand on the tiller. Also, when you capsize, you might not have two hands free . . .so in my lifejacket I keep a Buck folder tied to a tether.

For day to day, I tend to go with more traditional designs. I just like the look and feel. Today, for instance is a brand new Case Copperlock with a Wharncliff blade. Yesterday it was a GEC Big Jack.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

FRJ wrote:I carry a modern knife from time to time. I just can't ignore such a beautifully made and designed knife.
Besides it opens up a whole new world of knife ownership and we all know that's OK.

Dogg and Edge, what is this mcm your talking about? A heavy duty electric line? Sounds interesting.
Sort of like an antagonist adjustment mechanism, eh.

EDIT: I meant to post a Picture.
FRJ;THESE WIRES ARE USED FOR POWER FEEDERS,SIZED IN MILLIONTH CIRCULAR MILLS.

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”