Ballisong??ID

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Ballisong??ID

Post by garddogg56 »

Been at the fleas and picked up one.1st,what are they good for??2nd can anyone ID this one??tang reads stainless over U.S.A.,thanx
Attachments
IMG_20141130_144120048_HDR.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Robert Zelley

Re: Ballisong??ID

Post by Robert Zelley »

It looks like what has been referred to as a butterfly knife. Someone who knows how to use it can flip it open quickly with one hand. It might be used for self defense or just for other utilitarian purposes.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Anyone with butterfly experiance ::hmm::
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Can't help with I.D. but the Ballisong/Butterfly knife originated in the Phillipines as a fighting(?) knife.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thanx TJ ::handshake::
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

CAN ANYBODY IDENTIFY THE TANG STAMP? thanks :)
junebug

Post by junebug »

dog........is it missing the pin = opposite end of blade from tip..........

looks like a hole in pix,should have a pin there.

and is the clip(swing latch) that holds the 2 handles closed = spring loaded?????
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Whats the pin do ::shrug:: ?? the latch isn't spring loaded ::hmm:: Does the tang stamp look like a slipjoint tang I just can't cross the tang with a company ::uc::
junebug

Post by junebug »

hey gard...
the missing pin, would keep blade straight (not floppy) when open........like a FIXED BLADE.

no pin would equal a VERY DANGEROUS BROKEN KNIFE, THAT CAN NOT BE FLIPPED WITHOUT RISK OF INJURY/CUT OFF YER OWN FINGERTIPS :shock: :mrgreen:

the spring clasp usually = quality....not always!

the stamp looks = BEAR MGC. - BUT I DONT THINK SO.....

i THINK? the knife is a overseas import ::nod:: ::shrug:: IMPO just has that LOOK ta ma EYE....but again I DONT KNOW :oops:

PLEASE,PLEASE NOTE*************
i dont collect/own one....... but as a lot of other knives/brands, i have researched them or read posts and such about em.......i even surfed butterfly knife forums for a bit a while back ::handshake::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

gutch ya on the pin ::nod:: It does say stainless U.S.A. ON THE TANG ::shrug:: YA iI'm not at all familiar with butterfly knives :) Thanx Bug ::handshake::
Sitting_Bull

Post by Sitting_Bull »

There are lots of videos of how to flip these things. I have some instructional videos on my website for beginner butterfly knife flippers. The main thing is they can be easily manipulated with one hand to open quickly and also change grip from forward knife grip to a reverse grip in a simple flip of the wrist. They are also fairly dangerous to learn on, I would suggest a training knife with a blunt blade or some people like to tape the blade. They are fun to learn though, just expect to cut yourself while you are learning.
http://www.knifedude.com/pages/balisong ... -beginners

Also, I would be careful carrying this - just check your states laws as these are often considered a gravity knife or switchbalde. Some cities also have banned them. Here in Michigan they are considered a folding knife, but the blade length can be a factor.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thanx Sitting Bull ::handshake:: interresting ::hmm:: I see a lot of blood being spilled :lol: do you reconize this tang stamp???
Sitting_Bull

Post by Sitting_Bull »

Is there any other info on the tang, I don't think it's a benchmade because no butterfly logo, could possibly be a pacific cutlery - went out of business? I'm not sure. It would be good to know, as it could be worth something. There is a guy on youtube named calvinnation that has a good collection, you might want to try him to see if he knows. Hope that helps. ::shrug::
Sitting_Bull

Post by Sitting_Bull »

Found a place that has parts if you need it.
http://butterflyknifekits.com/
leggo

Post by leggo »

You asked " what are they good for"?
In my opinion nothing other than stupid props in B movies with Asian "actors", and real stupid plots with the worlds worst acting, filming, and audio. ::barf::
That one without the pin should be good for about 200 stiches.
On a more positive note that might have been sold by Bear Manufacturing like the other guy said. Their catalog has a lot of them.
Attachments
1460508985089.jpg

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”