Anyone use zdp189?

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
xstuntman

Anyone use zdp189?

Post by xstuntman »

I've got one Spyderco I really like (Tenacious) and never leave home without it.
Recently found the Ladybug in zdp and its small enough to fit in the other pocket in place of my usual slipjoint.

So, should I pop for the zdp or go vg10?
Is the zdp really "it" over vg?

Gotta scratch this itch soon!
My retirement shall consist of carbon steel, cheese, and crackers.
NYRich

Re: Anyone use zdp189?

Post by NYRich »

First let me say that I am not an expert on exotic steels. I also have one Spyderco and it just happens to be a Tenacious as well. If I recall correctly, that blade is made of 8Cr13Mov, a Chinese steel which is similar to AUS8 from Japan. Easy to sharpen and I find that it holds its edge very well under normal usage.

My understanding is that ZDP189 is extremely hard. Something like Rc64. VG10 is more like Rc61 which is still pretty darned hard. In theory, either should hold an edge a lot longer than steels like AUS8, 440(x) and the like. On the other side of the coin, sharpening is more difficult and may require the use of diamond-surfaced stones to speed up the process.

From a practical point of view, on a knife the size of a Ladybug I doubt that there would be much difference. Are you sure that the Ladybug is even available in ZDP189?
America, as it used to be.
HiPower

Post by HiPower »

i certainly agree with rich that the chinese alloy 8 cr series is a good tough using alloy but the vg10 & zdp 189 are greatly improved users. perhaps the vg10 besides being nearly stainless takes a ferocious edge; i.m.o. a finer edge than zdp. the zdp will cut longer on cardboard & sisal by at least 70 % over vg10 . vg10 will shade 8cr series on cardboard about 20 to 30 %. of course it should be obvious that the harder the alloy the possibility of decreasing toughness go hand in hand. zdp189 cuts a long time but it's not near as stainless as the other 2---even with a composition of 20% chrominum zdp will get some surface oxyidation if not given a little care --- about the same as d2. this is because much of the chrome gets tied up as carbides with the 3% carbon in the alloy. i think i have the numbers correct and a reminder by rich that diamonds are a good idea for sharpening is on spot. in fact i would say diamonds are a necessity if one lets zdp get really dull, the same applies to m390, m4, s30,60v. most of the alphabet alloys. personally i love the bite of gec 1095 although it wont cut as long.---HiPower
HiPower
paulsvintage

Post by paulsvintage »

i think ZDP is worth the extra effort in sharpening . my favorite ecd walker / spyderco lightweight and always sharp
Attachments
IMG_0001.JPG
Never Argue With a idiot
They'll bring you down to their level & beat you with experience
PAUL
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

paulsvintage wrote:i think ZDP is worth the extra effort in sharpening . my favorite ecd walker / spyderco lightweight and always sharp
Beautiful knife, Paul!

I have a number of VG-10 Spydercos, and it is one of my favorite steels for general purpose / EDC carry. Takes a nice edge, holds it well, and has good corrosion resistance.

I do own a Caly 3 in ZDP-189 (actually, it is a laminate steel, with ZDP-189 sandwiched between two layers of 420J), and it is a razor. As stated here, it holds its edge ridiculously long, but is work to sharpen ... I do touch ups on my Sharpmaker weekly to keep it "close", and plan to send it to Spyderco for a sharpening on its birthday. Regarding corrosion, only thing I've read is that it can discolor to a bronze-ish tone if exposed to certain food acids, etc. I've seen pictures of it, and it isn't even the depth of a traditonal patina, more like a slight discoloration. Mine hasn't done that yet, and I've been carrying it off and on for about 5 months now.

I would recommend it highly, unless you are averse to the bit of discoloration. You really can't go wrong here, as VG-10 will also serve well, just a bit less edge retention and a bit more corrosion resistance ...

Yes, the Ladybug is available in ZDP-189, with British Racing Green FRN handles*.

*The Dragonfly is also available in that same configuration, and I would HIGHLY recommend you consider it, as it packs a lot of knife in a small package - easily one of my favorite Spydies.

~ Edge
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves."

~ Albert Einstein
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I have a Spyderco Stretch with partially serrated blade in VG-10 and a plain edged SOG Mini-Vulcan with VG-10. I can attest to the fact that it takes diamonds or patience to put an edge on that steel, but once accomplished it retains that edge quite well. These two are my top picks for a tactical type carry knife although I do have a few others to choose from.

Guess I need to take that zdp189 for a spin too. 8)
Attachments
SOG Mini-Vulcan
SOG Mini-Vulcan
Spyderco Stretch
Spyderco Stretch
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

To be honest, Phil, I would have been perfectly content with my VG-10 forever … the Caly 3 caught my eye and just happened to be in ZDP-189.

I like the ZDP, and it is a performer, but I don't know that I would specifically seek it out.

British Racing Green, however, does appeal to me … :wink:

~ Edge
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves."

~ Albert Einstein
Meigscl

Post by Meigscl »

I have a Gerber leek made with ZDP189. I have never carried it and left in box. Supposedly they are rare.

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”