Strange eBay auction

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Beavertail

Strange eBay auction

Post by Beavertail »

I was the winning bidder on a knife from eBay Monday.
I received the knife Wednesday and when I opened the package it was from Smoky Mountain Knifeworks.
The seller had no mention of being affiliated with SMKW but the sales slip was from SMKW with "eBay sale."
When I opened the knife there was a slip saying the knife had Been returned because of damage.
I can't find anything wrong with it so I'm keeping it. Has anybody had an experience like that?
Tim
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Strange eBay auction

Post by peanut740 »

SMKW's Ebay seller name is MVPknife.
Roger
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

peanut740 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:44 pm SMKW's Ebay seller name is MVPknife.
Thanks Roger! ::handshake::
That's the seller I got the knife from.
I was afraid something shady was going on.
Tim
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Beavertail wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:29 pm I was the winning bidder on a knife from eBay Monday.
I received the knife Wednesday and when I opened the package it was from Smoky Mountain Knifeworks.
The seller had no mention of being affiliated with SMKW but the sales slip was from SMKW with "eBay sale."
When I opened the knife there was a slip saying the knife had Been returned because of damage.
I can't find anything wrong with it so I'm keeping it. Has anybody had an experience like that?
Quite a while ago, I found out that I was dealing with SMKW on Ebay the same way you just did. And, I was also quite surprised. But, my package didn't include a slip stating that the knife had been returned because of damage. I would certainly look it over very, very carefully, but I guess that you probably did that already. ::hmm::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

herbva wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:33 pm
Beavertail wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:29 pm I was the winning bidder on a knife from eBay Monday.
Quite a while ago, I found out that I was dealing with SMKW on Ebay the same way you just did. And, I was also quite surprised. But, my package didn't include a slip stating that the knife had been returned because of damage. I would certainly look it over very, very carefully, but I guess that you probably did that already. ::hmm::
I've looked it over pretty well and I can't see anything wrong with it. The slip said it was returned because of a chip in the blade. Maybe the guy who returned it has never seen a one-arm razor. :mrgreen:
I guess the person that returned it was too picky.
Tim
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

7 or 8 years ago, I bought several knives from MVPknife before figuring out SMKW was involved.

I never paid any attention to all the crap in the box. I figured it was some BS advertising added in the box.
I would pull out the knife, confirm it was what I had bought and go about my business.

A few weeks later, I couldn't figure out why I was suddenly receiving SMKW catalogs in the mail. So I called SMKW to find out how I got on their mailing list. The CS rep asked if I had bought anything from them on line before.

I replied "NO".

"What's your name and address?" Info provided....

"Well, I show you as being a multipurchase customer."

"Huh??? What did I buy from y'all?"

Checking the items she listed to my spreadsheet. I said - "I didn't get them from y'all. I bought them from MVPKnife on fleabay."

"That's us."

Ooops.

I've noticed that SMKW is now putting a more prominent ID in the boxes that it is coming from them - I.E., the last one I got had a SMKW catalog in the box with the knife.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I bought an item recently on eBay, a "Buy It Now" purchase, not a knife. It came from Brownells. I did buy a knife once from someone one eBay , another "Buy It Now," and it turned out to be from BudK. I guess a lot of businesses are getting in on the eBay action? ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by texoma »

if you go to eBay mvpknife store at https://www.ebay.com/str/mvpsknives it displays the SMKW logo. I've purchased a couple older used knives before and somewhere online a few years back it mentioned the affiliation but I don't see it now other than the logo.
Frank

Want 85 RHK Antique Walnut Jig Bone & other Harness Jacks
Trade & Buy List Link https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wtt ... s.1884432/
Retirement is a time to enjoy the things you never could before

Return to “General Knife Discussion”