Case XX Cattle Knife Question.

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
JPS1734

Case XX Cattle Knife Question.

Post by JPS1734 »

Hello,Im new to the forum,just come across this knife in a box of items I purchased. From what I can find it is called a cattle knife from 1920-1940 era. I was just wanting to know if this is correct and what the value of the knife is. The blades are in rough condition but its tight as far was opening and closing.Thanks for any help.
index2.jpg
index.jpg
index5.jpg
index4.jpg
index3.jpg
RalphAlsip

Re: Case XX Cattle Knife Question.

Post by RalphAlsip »

JPS, welcome to AAPK.

You are correct in your assessment of the age of the knife and the common name given to the knife. Here is some additional information. The Case pattern number for your Knife is a 2345 which is commonly referred to as a "Cattle" knife. It might also be referred to as a "Medium Cigar". The "2" in the number 2345 indicates that the handles are slick black composition. The "3" indicates 3 blades. And the "45" is the pattern number which is what equates to "Cattle" or "Medium Cigar". Technically, I believe your knife is probably a 2345 1/2 which would mean a clip blade for the master. Your knife appears to have served someone very well because the blades are diminished by use, sharpening, and reshaping.

I have attached a picture of a comparable 2345 1/2 with long pull blade nick for comparison.

The 2345 is a fairly common pattern and there are many examples available that are in very good condition. Your knife won't be worth much because of the supply of alternatives. If you put it on eBay, my guess is that it would sell for between $50 and $100, with $50 being more likely.
Attachments
Case Tested XX 2345 1/2 LP
Case Tested XX 2345 1/2 LP
JPS1734

Post by JPS1734 »

Thank you very much for the information RalphAlsip. I will probably just keep it with my collection of other Case knives,I don't have many but this is definitely the oldest. Wish it was in better condition.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Welcome here.
That's a grand old knife and it will still sharpen and cut. Many folks would be happy to pack that. ::tu::
Joe

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”