Three backspring whittlers - Pearl

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
bkazz5

Three backspring whittlers - Pearl

Post by bkazz5 »

I recently added these two pearl 3 back spring whittlers to my small collection of classics. The information I have does not identify a pearl in this pattern being produced with the deep XX etch. The information I have does list a pearl with the WR Case etch but not with this shield. Can anyone offer any additional information regarding these two knives. Thanks - Bryan
Attachments
pearl 30109X (2).jpg
zp4ja

Re: Three backspring whittlers - Pearl

Post by zp4ja »

Hey Bryan,

What are the pattern numbers? Looks like a 046 pattern. If so, I don't see in my book where a pearl was made at all except as prototypes but the info on those are vague and generic. Are both stamped 83046? If not, what are the stampings?

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

The pattern is 30109X. To add to the mystery the knife with the XX etch does not have a pattern number stamp which as I understand it is not all that unusual for low production run classics. Here is the same patten knife in Abalone with blades open. Sorry for the horrible pic.
Attachments
30109X Abalone.jpg
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks Bryan. Not sure my friend. Hopefully someone more knowledgable about the Classics will weigh in while I ponder it.

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

The one with the WR Case etch is in the book. There were 269 pieces made. The shield seems right. You are right, short runs, a lot of times ,have no pattern #'s .
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
roofsc

Post by roofsc »

a couple that i have
Attachments
DSC_0562.jpg
DSC_0516.JPG
" there is a collection in my accumulation ? "

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”