Cigar Whittler Collectors or Fans - A ?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
marinewar1

Cigar Whittler Collectors or Fans - A ?

Post by marinewar1 »

Hopefully, I can find an answer to a question I've been wondering about, and I'll need help from the Cigar Whittler fans!

I'm not really a collector, I'm a user of fine knives, regardless of the cost. The old adage "Buy Once Cry Once" really rings true with me! With that being said, I'm looking to buy one of the Case Classic knives - and you guessed it, I want to make the Cigar Whittler my EDC. Problem is, which one?

I'm looking at the #53091, Genuine Stag, and REALLY love that Match Strike Pull (1990) or the #73091 in Waterfall handles (1992).

When I try and look at the pictures side-by-side it looks as though the 73091 isn't as sturdy as the 53091 - the blades on the 53091 look "beefier" and wider. I recognize this could be an optical illusion caused by different angles from different photographers, etc. My question is does this seem to be the "case" (haha)? Does anyone have both that I could see a pic of side by side, with blades opened?

Anyway, that's the question I had, hopefully someone has or have had both! Thanks!!

Semper Fi.
Attachments
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Cigar Whittler Collectors or Fans - A ?

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK and Semper Fi Marine. Glad to have you aboard. Now grab a rack, stow your gear and let's get down to knifing.

I'll tell you up front, I don't know diddly squat about Case knives (or actually most knives) so my approach to the problem is somewhat different. I would go with the stag handles simply because, as beautiful as it is, I don't trust Celluloid as far as I can spit a bowling ball. I've cleaned out my pile and (I think. I hope.) gotten fid of the few knives I had with Celluloid handles. They may be truckin' along just fine someplace else but I'm not willing to take the chance of watching a treasured knife rot away (or any other knife for that matter).

Just my opinion. Just the way I do it. Your mileage may vary.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

This pattern was made with 2 different frames, a large frame and a small frame.Your picture shows one of each. That is why the stag looks sturdier, it is on the larger frame. Some have speculated that Case made one frame and Queen made the other, but I don't know that it is definitive.
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Semper Fi Marne!
Glad to have you aboard!

I don't know much more about Case knives and Jerry does, but I do should also share his concern about celluloid. This following article Posted in Oregon Knife Collectors Association will give you some of the reasons why we are concerned about celluloid knives.
http://www.oregonknifeclub.org/celluloid_02.html

Celluloid can be very unstable, especially in the lighter colors like a waterfall. I think the Case Classics were made with imported celluloid because American knife companies discontinued manufacturing celluloid years ago because of the danger involved. Many of the old factories burned down when the portion of the factory that manufactured the celluloid caught fire and exploded. I know Camillus Cutlery Company had a separate building where celluloid was made and the roof was on hinges so that if there was an explosion the roof would blow open and the blast will be directed upwards instead of being contained by the roof and doing more damage to the factory.

When celluloid begins to decompose, a process called offgassing, it gives off nitric acid and sulfuric acid which wreaks havoc on the brass liners and the nickel silver bolsters of the knife and also on carbon steel blades and backsprings. I have seen knives break in half because of the effects of offgassing celluloid. They will also damage other knives that are stored nearby, in the same case or the same knife roll.

Like Jerry, I would choose the stag over the celluloid.

Welcome aboard and Semper Fi!
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
marinewar1

Post by marinewar1 »

Thanks for the great welcome, everyone! And Semper Fi!

Well, I guess that answers all my questions. Given the choice between a large or small frame, I would go with the large. And thanks again about the celluloid information, it makes my decision a lot easier! Stag, large frame 1990 it is! Am I crazy for wanting to carry and use it? I just feel like that stag is begging to be let out of the box and into my pocket and used.

I've carried Striders and Emersons and decided to get away from tacticals a while and get into the slippies. Right now all I have is my old Case Large Sodbuster, but now I'll have 2 more on the way (the other is a Coon I already ordered!).

Again, thanks guys for helping me decide!

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”