Toenail question

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Toenail question

Post by Bryan »

I figure Roger will find this first with the subject line I used :mrgreen:

I don't know how to even ask this :| Ummm... Here is what I've been thinking about doing....

A friend I met on these forums a while back (he has turned out to be a real good ole friend actually; Realmontanan is his id) does the most amazing scrimshaw. Now he does some rehandling as well. He doesn't know this yet, but I am going to beg and plead for him to rehandle a toenail in Mastadon Ivory and scrim a picture of a charging elephant for me (at a reasonable rate I hope).

My question is... Do you think a classic sunfish would make a good candidate for this? (I want quality here) Would it be sacreligious to peel the handles off of a good old beautiful specimine? I've thought about using an early 70s Case laminated wood one, but I think now I'm leaning toward a Classic. O.K. here goes... Roger, do you have an expendable toenails to sell me to be disfigured and then turned back into something of beauty once again?

Bryan
Roger - 50/2050

Post by Roger - 50/2050 »

Howdy Bryan,

------ First of all let me start by saying that we as Case Classic collectors haven't even come close to seeing the peak in market value for this 2050 pattern & it is my gut feeling that if you take one of these babys & knock the handles off of her to make a custom would be in my eyes a grave error in judgement & sacrilegious :cry: ! If I were you Bryan, I would be on the lookout for a 2000 Bulldog Elephant Toe, a 70's Case 6250 with the wooden handles or a 1997 Winchester/ John Primble Elephant Toe for your project as these last two knives are made with the same dies & tooling as the Case Classics! Please keep in mind Bryan, that this is only my opinion & thoughts on this matter & with your project in mind I would say that it is a very good idea you have here as I have had the same thought in doing this myself but not with a Case Classic Elephant Toe (2050 pattern).

------ When you have the time Byran, could you please send to me in a e-mail some examples of the work MR. realmontanan does & maybe some price quotes on labor & handle materials as well?

" Texas collector ", Roger - 50/2050 :wink:
A standing life member of the "Case Classic Club", "allaboutpocketknives.com" & "elephanttoenails.com"
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Hi Roger,

Deep down, I guess I knew what your answer would be before I even asked. I'm going to start looking for an early 70s Case more than likely. Do you know where I might locate a 100% mint spoecimine? I'd search eBay, but sometimes people say mint and it turns out to be... not so much mint... ya know? I sent a couple emails to you with a couple pictures attached. Let me know if you didn't get them for some reason.

Bryan
Roger - 50/2050

Howdy Bryan,

------ I am pretty sure Ivan S. Keener has one but don't know if he will sell it? If you really want a Case Classic 2050 pattern to work with I have a mint condition 1996 - 62050 Antique Green bone - Bomb Shield - 1 of 100 with the 1 of 9 made only single Bull Elephant etch on the front side of the main blade for sale, it comes with a Case Classics clouds box & COA! I'M asking $225.00 for her & shes worth every penny, let me know your thoughts OK?

A standing life member of the "Case Classic Club", "allaboutpocketknives.com" & "elephanttoenails.com"
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Hi Roger,

I will keep your classic in mind if I can't come up with something else. If I go the Classic route, I may look for something a little more common than 1 of 9 though. I wouldn't want to alter that one if I could keep from it. I think when I get time I'll get over to Scott King's site and poke around. ...Post a wanted ad for a Case toenail from the 70s maybe.

Thanks,
Bryan
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Just thinking about your project Bryan.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/CASE-knife-older-EL ... dZViewItem

Don't know what the reserve is, but it might be worth a shot.

Bill
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

As always Bill,

Thank you much. ::tu:: ::tu:: That one would be a good one. I'll definitely keep my eye on it.

The seller's description cracks me up.
There's only so much room in the knife well, and often times the blades will get real friendly with each other and RUB.
:lol:

Bryan
agteacher2

Stubbed Toenail / Sunfish out of water

Post by agteacher2 »

Hey Brian,
I was snoopin around Ebay and thought of you when I saw this ad

http://cgi.ebay.com/Case-Toenail-Sunfis ... dZViewItem

It's very rough but with the right pars it could be what you were looking for.

Jeff
Jeff Jones
Athens, TX

www.Jonescutlery.com
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Hey Jeff,

Thanks! I believe I have already located the one I'm going to use. When this project gets started, Either me or Realmontanan will post the progress on the customized factory knife forum. I can't wait! Colin does amazing work! We had a few email exchanges this past couple of days, and I believe its for sure a go. :D

Bryan
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Oh boy! Am I excited about this...

Colin has started on this project. You can watch the whole thing unfold at the link below. Colin is going to send me pictures and descriptions of the progress as he goes along, and I'm going to post them on the attached link...

Colin Paterson's Elephant toenail project

Enjoy the show... I know I will!
Bryan
Roger - 50/2050

Howdy Bryan,

----- I'M also excited even though its not my knife! I think it was a great idea for you to include the step by step process in which Colin is taking in doing this rehandle job for you old pard, thank you for sharing it with us Bryan! ::tu:: I may have one I would like done also depending on the out come of yours?

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”