Question about Case Classics 54 pattern trappers

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Question about Case Classics 54 pattern trappers

Post by knifeaholic »

I have one each of the Case Classics 54 pattern trappers - 5254 Case Brothers and 6254 Case Brothers Gowanda. I am going to sell these knives and I had a question about the quantities made.

The certificates with each knife indicate that 1,000 of each were made. Parker's Knife Trader's guide shows 100 of each made. I assumed that the 100 was a typo but since its in Parkers book I wondered. Does anyone know which quantity is correct?

Thanks
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Aimus Moses

Re: Question about Case Classics 54 pattern trappers

Post by Aimus Moses »

Steve, I've always been under the impression that it was 1000. That's what I've always went by. All the certs. on the ones I've had also had 1000 each on them. I believe your right that the 100 was a typo.

Aimus
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

There were many typos in the Long Haul book, this could well be one of them. Are you saying Parker's vol 8 states 100?

I didn't collect that pattern so I don't know for sure, but I will search for that correction on the other site tomorrow and report. My guess would be 1000.
http://www.musicmadeknives.com

Rodger, (Rodger-50/2050), Bill (El Lobo), Johnny Fain (jonet143), Johnny Samples (Johnnyrotten),
Bill Price (CCBill)

Please feel free to contact any mod or admin with concerns.
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

The Long Haul states the 5254 pattern 1992 1000 ea in Stag Arrow shield, Case Brothers Springfield. The 6254 pattern in 1991 1000 ea Bomb shield Case Brothers Gowanda. The Parkers vol. 8 does say 100 ea and is vague in description.
http://www.musicmadeknives.com

Rodger, (Rodger-50/2050), Bill (El Lobo), Johnny Fain (jonet143), Johnny Samples (Johnnyrotten),
Bill Price (CCBill)

Please feel free to contact any mod or admin with concerns.
deanmm56

Post by deanmm56 »

The person that would know for sure would be David Scott @ Blue Grass Cutlery. Mr. Scott has and continues to be a walking encyclopedia when it comes to the Case Classics. I'm sure Mr. Scott would be happy to answer the question regarding the number of trappers made.

I'll shoot him an email .... will post his reply.
Dean M. Morron

email : deanm56@aol.com

ebay as : deanm56635w
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Thanks for your replies everyone!!
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
lbsmobile
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by lbsmobile »

knifeaholic wrote:I have one each of the Case Classics 54 pattern trappers - 5254 Case Brothers and 6254 Case Brothers Gowanda. I am going to sell these knives and I had a question about the quantities made.

The certificates with each knife indicate that 1,000 of each were made. Parker's Knife Trader's guide shows 100 of each made. I assumed that the 100 was a typo but since its in Parkers book I wondered. Does anyone know which quantity is correct?

Thanks
Steve, the Parker Trader Guides had the totals at 500 for stag and 1000 for bone through 1993. In 1994 the totals were updated to 1000 each. The certs are correct for this pattern at 1000 each.

added 01/30/11:
Came across this ad for the trappers in an old Edges magazine. Edges was a bi-monthly journal for members of the ABCA.
Attachments
CC-Trappers.jpg
Ron M.
*Looking for Wendell Carson / Fightin Bull - Sleeveboard Pens.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”