classic Cheetah

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
wazu013

classic Cheetah

Post by wazu013 »

What if anything can you guys tell me about a stag Case 5011 1/2SS Case Classic Cheetah? The front tang is stamped W.R. Case and Sons over Bradford PA over 19 USA then a year that is covered by the swing guard. The back tang is stamped with TESTED XX over 011 1/2SS is all I can make out. The rest is covered by the swing Guard. I am assuming that the swing guard is covering a 5 for the stag. The shield is Oval. When I bought this knife the sejjer sais it was a 1996. Ant help with this knife's ID and value would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Wazu013@yahoo.com
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
gary

Re: classic Cheetah

Post by gary »

Sure about the pattern number, it's not 5111 1/2. A couple of good pics might help. I beleive they were made in 1995 and 1996. The date should be on the tang also.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

That's what makes this knife so hard to date. The tang is stamped with 5011 1/2SS and I can't make out the year it was made because it has the swing guard in front of the year. Because the back tang has the Case classic stamping I was hoping somebody may have seen it before. This looks like it's going to be a mystery until somebody who has seen it before steps up with some info. Antway thanks for your interest. Let me know if you hear anything.
Wazu013
deanmm56

Post by deanmm56 »

Wazu,

Could it be 51011 1/2 ???? Don't have my Classic book handy right this second but I'm thinking Parker marked them a little different than Case ?
Well mystery solved ... I just checked mine ... sure enough 51011 1/2 .... the guard doesn't help with identifying the knife.

Dean
Dean M. Morron

email : deanm56@aol.com

ebay as : deanm56635w
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

I believe '95's are case xx with short pulls and '96 are wr case with long pulls.
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Ok I got out a jewellers loupe and I was able to see enough to know that the number is 51011 1/2. It was still very hard to see with the guard in the way. It does have a long pull so I am going to assume that it's a 1996. This is what the seller told me when I bought the knife but he had no box or COA and I was not able to find the number in the reference book I have Pocket Knife Trader's Guide Volume 8 by Buzz Parker and Ed Henley. I bought it anyway because I wanted to put together a stag set without a bunch of scroll work all over the blade. I have to wonder how much this book is worth if it misses a knife like this. Every Case Classic box I have found is just a box with hand written model number or type of bone and or prototype on it. I have a knife that came in a blue W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Co.box. The box has none of the Case Classic markings but the knife has all the tang stampings of a Classic plus XX etched in the double pull main blade. Written on the box is 1 of 7 -1990 Prototype Banana Bone 6391. Again I have no COA but this knife is a leget Case knife. I was told it was a prototype that never made it into production. I've seen James parker AKA Silverladdie selling the same knife with different handle jigging or material on Ebay all the time as Case Classics. How or who would be able to authenticate knives like these?
Anyway I am sorry I rambled on and I am very gratefull for all the info you guys have given me.
Wazu013
deanmm56

Post by deanmm56 »

wazu,

Post some clear pictures of the 6391 ..... especially of any proto markings .... I can take a look and give you an opinion ...... I sent you a PM as well.

Dean
Dean M. Morron

email : deanm56@aol.com

ebay as : deanm56635w
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

Here's an old ad for cheetahs from PKCS. PS,..ignore the listed prices,they are not always the price you paid.
Attachments
cheetah.jpg
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
gary

Post by gary »

Here is a 6391 proto tan bone.
Attachments
case 6391 01.jpg
case 6391 02.jpg
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Gary,
My 6391 is the same except the handles are Dark green-brown Banana bone. It actually looks like the old Rodgers green bone. The Proto on mine is scripted on a bolster and just has the word Proto with no long tail C. I'll get some pics up ASAP so you can take a look and tell me what you think. I have another Prototype right from Case Bradford the hafters there put their proto stamp in various places on the knife to help control any copy cat knives. I have a 62087SS Medium Stockman with Corn Cob Jigged Green Bone Handles that was won at the Case festival breakfast for the Case 200 Collectors Club. It has PROTO stamped on the tang of the pen blade. Some other knives had it stamped on the inside liner.
Wazu013

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”