Some "new" Classics

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
singin46

Re: Some "new" Classics

Post by singin46 »

Very nice indeed! They are like chips, you can't own just one. ::ds::
Love all Jacks
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I love the look of those barndoor hinge knives. Glad Case and Jim Parker decided to bring some of the classics back. Simply gorgeous.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

Not new to me, but worth lookin at..............................This one and the 355s have to be a couple of my favorite patterns. And the 94s and the.............................
Attachments
DSC05492.JPG
DSC05494.JPG
http://www.musicmadeknives.com

Rodger, (Rodger-50/2050), Bill (El Lobo), Johnny Fain (jonet143), Johnny Samples (Johnnyrotten),
Bill Price (CCBill)

Please feel free to contact any mod or admin with concerns.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I love that XX etch on the blade! ::tu::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

gmusic wrote:Good lookin CB there! They're a handful of knife aren't they!

Ain't that the truth! The size is right there with the hunter pattern. This knife arrived on Saturday, with #49 etched on the bolster and a certificate stating it was the 49th made in this pattern back in 1990. What a steal of a deal!

basser5

Post by basser5 »

Very nice knives fellas. I'm starting to like these 55s...
Tim
Attachments
007.JPG
005.JPG
003.JPG
My name is Tim and i'm a stagoholic.
vieu101

Post by vieu101 »

3 very nice knives bass.....I see a trend coming lolololo
basser5

Post by basser5 »

LOL vieu, i have a doctors appointment next week, maybe its just a bug ::shrug:: ::dang::
My name is Tim and i'm a stagoholic.
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

Well..............don't take any medication for it, you may miss out on all the fun!
Attachments
DSC05595.JPG

Rodger, (Rodger-50/2050), Bill (El Lobo), Johnny Fain (jonet143), Johnny Samples (Johnnyrotten),
Bill Price (CCBill)

Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

1967redrider wrote:This knife arrived on Saturday, with #49 etched on the bolster and a certificate stating it was the 49th made in this pattern back in 1990.
red, I don't think the number 49 means that the knife was the exact #49 knife made during production. I believe it just means it is #49 of what ever the total number of production knives that were made. The knives were made first then the number was put on them later. So, your knife could have been the first knife made in that pattern and handle material for the 1990 year of production or it could have been the last one made. Classic Case or Gary (Gmusic) would probably know for sure if this is correct. They are both very well versed in the Case Classic knives. Nice knives by the way fellas. ::tu::

Aimus
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

I think you're onto something there Aimus. It stands to reason they would take a bunch of finished knives to the gravers bench to have them done.
It's hard to say every manufacturer may have their own way of doing it.

Bill Price (CCBill)

big monk

Post by big monk »

I had one of the 355 Wharncliff Whittlers,that had 000,engraved on the bolster ??? i could never find out,what that was either ???
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I'll have to re-read that certificate. Anyone else have one?

gmusic

Post by gmusic »

It's rumored that the bolster numbers 000 and such were an option that some retailers had put on for a little marketing edge. Whatever the case may be they don't mean much and have no relevance as far as being prototypes or limited number knives. They are production knives with a little added touch...............the long tail C was even engraved on some of them.

That cert you have there redrider looks like one of the new ones, can you post a another picture of it please?

Bill Price (CCBill)

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Like they always say, a picture is worth 1,000 words. The wording on the certificate is what made me post what I did. But I think differently than most people! :wink:
Attachments
Case Classic Coke Bottle Certificate
Case Classic Coke Bottle Certificate

gmusic

Post by gmusic »

Your knife is definitely a "Case Classic" it's that certificate that has me intrigued. I have never seen one like it. Queen made the knife and Blue Grass distributed them, therefore the Case factory looking certificate has me thrown ::shrug:: .

Now I have to go do some digging......................

Bill Price (CCBill)

gmusic

Post by gmusic »

The cert was issued by Jim Parker as a "secondary" to the original. They were made for knives with engraved numbered bolsters.

Thanks for showing it! I learned something new today....................now I can relax!

Bill Price (CCBill)

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

this is my first classic 94 63046 whittler
Attachments
case classic whittler.jpg
case classic whittler.jpg (22 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
case classic.jpg
case classic.jpg (38.94 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
deanmm56

Post by deanmm56 »

Jimbo,

Nice looking Classic you have there ::tu:: ::tu::

I think that pattern ( 3 bladed 46 ) was made exclusively for Smoky Mountain Knife Works.

A 1000 of each were made in :

Red Bone Oval shield
Genuine Stag Oval shield
Bright Green Bone Bomb shield
Antique Green Bone Arrow shield
Tan Honey Bone Oval Shield
Brown Rogers Bone BowTie shield

Yours is the Brown Rogers Bone.

The 46 was also made as a 2 bladed version the " 2046J ", also a 1000 of each for Smoky Mountain.

There are also One of Each celluloid handled knives submitted as a production run with the Case Zipper shield, unfortunately there was not time scheduled for production so they remain as One of One.
Dean M. Morron

email : deanm56@aol.com

ebay as : deanm56635w
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Thanks deanmm56 for the info!!!!
deanmm56 wrote:Jimbo,

Nice looking Classic you have there ::tu:: ::tu::

I think that pattern ( 3 bladed 46 ) was made exclusively for Smoky Mountain Knife Works.

A 1000 of each were made in :

Red Bone Oval shield
Genuine Stag Oval shield
Bright Green Bone Bomb shield
Antique Green Bone Arrow shield
Tan Honey Bone Oval Shield
Brown Rogers Bone BowTie shield

Yours is the Brown Rogers Bone.

The 46 was also made as a 2 bladed version the " 2046J ", also a 1000 of each for Smoky Mountain.

There are also One of Each celluloid handled knives submitted as a production run with the Case Zipper shield, unfortunately there was not time scheduled for production so they remain as One of One.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Picked up a Classic 63046J #0561 whittler like Jimbo's right before Thanksgiving that I recently took some pictures of. The bone handles look like corncob jig, has pinched bolsters and a bunch of tang stamps. I like the look of the 3 backsprings too! ::tu::
Attachments
P1240080.jpg
P1240078.jpg
P1240077.jpg
P1240076.jpg
P1240075.jpg
P1240074.jpg

singin46

Post by singin46 »

Very nice Case Classics, at one point I owned several of these but sold them a few years ago for a healthy profit.
Great investment knives and beautiful to look at. Jim Parker outdid himself when he had these made. ::nod::
Love all Jacks
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

A little late to the party but that's not unusual.

Dean - You can relax. The handles on your GEC Templars are not Celluloid. Great Eastern used Acrylic, Micarta and something they called Perylic on the Templars. If you're wondering what Perylic is, I snagged the following off the TSA web site at http://blog.tsaknives.com/2010/06/21/pe ... tions.aspx

Perylic, acrylic and celluloid questions

Every now and then someone emails a question or tells me about a discussion on one of the boards about Great Eastern's Perylic handled knives. Most of the concerns I've heard have surrounded some of the concerns about the problems that have long been associated with some of the old celluloid handled knives. The Cellulloids had a well earned reputation of giving off gases that could interact with other materials as well as shrinking and warping.

I had a good chat with Pat at Great Eastern this morning and have a few answers to some of the concerns. Pat does a lot of research on different types of handle materials and is as knowledgeable about them as anyone I've talked to.

Are the Perylics the same as the Celluloid handles? NO. The Perylics are an acrylic acetate base which form a much harder material that does not contain the suspended gases that can leech off like the celluloid.

Will the Perylics scratch easily? The key word is 'easily'. In short no, BUT, like virtually any handle material, it can scratch and with time and usage will show surface scratches. If you carry your knife on a regular basis in a pocket full of change, keys, etc, in time it will pick up surface scratches. Will it easily dent or chip? No. If you whack it with a hammer, yes.

Can the scratches be buffed out? Yes. The Perylic is a very hard material that can be shaped, sanded and buffed relatively easily. Surface scratches could be cleaned up with a buffing wheel and different grits of buffing compound such as jeweler's rouged.

Pat's going to try and forward a article or two that makes a comparison of the new acrylic/perylics with some of the older materials that might further answer any questions that might be floating around. For now, hope this answers some of your questions.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”