Paper Money

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
RobesonsRme.com

Re: Paper Money

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I am a lifelong resident of the Roebuck-Huffman area, graduated from Banks in 1965 and from UAB in 1972, with a three year hitch in the Army in between.

My Russell grandparents lived across the road from The Moody Cemetery when Moody Crossroads was simply that, two dirt roads crossing and three little ramshackle stores.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

OK. I didn't do much kicking around in that area. I did go to Moody High School for a couple years before moving to Huntsville.. I'd like to see a pic of the crossroads from that time period. I spent a lot of time in Moody. Do you know the old quarry in Leeds and the one in Trussville?
"Wise man say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

This is a fun piece I put together. I wanted a set of Union and Confederate paper money with vignettes of George Washington to display together. This is a Confederate postage stamp at left, and a Union piece of fractional currency with almost identical busts of Washington. Washington was a native son of Virginia and was considered a Southern hero, as of course did the North. Both of these pieces are almost uncirculated.
20150618_191331.jpg
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

If the South ever rises again, I've got beer money!!
AirBrush_20170323175759.jpg
RobesonsRme.com

Not sure which quarry you are referring to in Moody. There is one on Carl Jones Road, I believe, from which they quarried the stone they used to construct I-20 in that area. Last time I saw it, it was full of water.

If, by "Trussville", you mean the quarry beside I-59 North in the Chalkville area, when I was a senior in high school, I did a swan dive off the highest point of the wall on the back side.

Stupid idea because when I surfaced I could neither feel nor move my legs. I treaded water with just my arms and a chest full of air in fifty-five feet of water for about ten minutes until feeling and use returned to my lower body and legs.

I was very fortunate not to have had permanent spinal injury.

Not the last foolish thing I ever did, but most probably the most stupid.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

I've been swimming in the one on Carl Jones Road. I saw it fenced off in 2004 though. I'm talking about the one off 78 near the railroad bridge as you're leaving Leeds heading towards I-20.

I've also been swimming in the Trussville quarry and know the side you jumped from. I saw a girl with the whole side of her body bruised from that jump. I only jumped from the "normal" side, about a 30-50ft drop. Did you go to the cave there?
RobesonsRme.com

I've been in the entrance, but never explored it to its end. I don't think it went back very far.

When I was a senior in high school in 1965, several of us spent afternoons and Saturdays there swimming. I only went off the high peak in a dive that one time. I jumped from it several times. It was reputed to be 110 feet and having stood atop it looking down, watching another swimmer below, I do not doubt that number.

Whoever owned the property showed up one afternoon with sheriff's deputies, ran us all off and then they fenced it in.

Now, it's right beside I-59 North and next to a large power company staging area and truck park.

I have no idea if anyone tries to swim there now.

I cannot picture the one in Moody that you referred to. There used to be one near Leeds in an area called Goat's Hill. I think people called it The Gravel Pit or something like that. It wasn't very large and the water, as I recall, was dingy.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

Yeah, the cave was a tight fit, you had to crawl through it. I was also told the height was 110ft. The last time I was there was 1993. In 2005 I was told it is now fenced off. I don't see how as you had to walk the railroad tracks to get to it.
RobesonsRme.com

I honestly have no recollection of how we got to the quarry back in 1965, of where we parked or any of that.

It's so visible now that it just looks like part of the Interstate right-of-way.

We had to have had to turn off old Highway U.S. 11 and then park somewhere and walk.

I do not remember walking along those RR tracks.

I remember one had to swim across the quarry to access the bottom of the climb that would take you to that grey rock from where we jumped. By the time you got up there, you had to rest before jumping off.

The time I did the swan dive, ala Johnny Weissmuller, I was standing there getting ready to do the usual feet first jump when I suddenly decided to dive instead. Big mistake. It hurt the top of my head entering the water and apparently sprained or stressed my spine as I described earlier.

That was the last time I ever made that climb.

Stupid eighteen year old.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Charlie your damn lucky you didn't get paralyzed like Charles Krauthammer. He skipped class in college to go for a swim because it was a hot day, dove into the shallow end of a pool head first and was instantly paralyzed, lucky his friend was there to pull him out or he would have drowned right there.
AAPK Janitor
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

Charlie, it sounds like a lot changed between your era and mine, and it sounds like a lot has changed since. When I used to go there, you could hike to the high end.

I'm going through Birmingham at the end of May and will be going to the Sloss Furnace. We should meet up if you like. Since this is a paper money thread, I should mention I've put together a framed display of Sloss Furnace stock certificates, turn of the century postcards featuring The Furnace and old Sloss trade tokens to be presented to the Sloss Furnace Museum. It's one of my favorite places and putting this piece of financial memorabilia together for it is a big deal for me.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”