Truck tie down anchor redneck fix.

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Truck tie down anchor redneck fix.

Post by Colonel26 »

My old truck was getting a bit shaky with it's almost 260k miles on it, so after about ten years I had to break down and go get me a new used truck. I brought home a little Toyota Tacoma and true to Toyota engineering they thought of just about everything.

It has this nifty channel that runs around the top of the bed for sliding tie down cleats to go into. But wouldn't you know it, they were gone on my truck when I bought it, and new ones are like $38 a piece for genuine plastic Toyota pieces!

So for about $4 a piece at mom and pop hardware stores I made these! I got the idea from another forum, I ain't this smart on my own. 3/8" spring nuts from the electrical supply, 3/8x2 1/2" eye bolts, and 3/8"fender washers. Take the nuts off the eye bolts, put the nuts in the track, screw the bolt in and voila! Works like a charm. If you have a similar deal on your truck, give it a try.
IMG_2550.JPG
IMG_2551.JPG
IMG_2552.JPG
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Truck tie down anchor redneck fix.

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Good work Wade! I like it!

Necessity is indeed the mother of invention (laziness is the father :lol: ). To be a genuine bonafide redneck fix, duct tape or bailing wire must be used. ::facepalm:: :lol: Just sayin. Might get honorable mention though! ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Sssokay Cuz. Yore neck is about as red as anyone elses around here. :mrgreen: I have another name for it but it's not considered polite for public consumption.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

jerryd6818 wrote:Sssokay Cuz. Yore neck is about as red as anyone elses around here. :mrgreen: I have another name for it but it's not considered polite for public consumption.
I very well know the name you're thinking of. It's the only term for Jerry rigging that I knew until I was plumb grown. Lol
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Good work Wade! I like it!

Necessity is indeed the mother of invention (laziness is the father :lol: ). To be a genuine bonafide redneck fix, duct tape or bailing wire must be used. ::facepalm:: :lol: Just sayin. Might get honorable mention though! ::tu::

Ken
True on the duct tape. But I did use a leatherman tool, does that count for anything? Lol

Necessity and laziness are definitely the parents of redneck engineering. But poor and cheap have to be first cousins of it! Lol
Robert E. Lee
Grump01
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Grump01 »

Simple, east fix, buuuutttt , if it was me in that situation, not so sure I would have come up with the fix......
Don
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I coulda got ya 4 Toyota tie downs for 25.00.. And that's a steal.. ::tounge:: If I had known!! ::shrug:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

jmh58 wrote:I coulda got ya 4 Toyota tie downs for 25.00.. And that's a steal.. ::tounge:: If I had known!! ::shrug:: John :D
Wow! That is a steel. Ill keep that in mind!
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Grump01 wrote:Simple, east fix, buuuutttt , if it was me in that situation, not so sure I would have come up with the fix......
Well I ain't that smart. I found the fix online and though it was pretty slick.
Robert E. Lee
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::shrug:: When I was in the Navy, as a Machinest Mate (Snipe) we used tape, wire, or any part that we could alter to fix something. Does that make us inventive or a redneck? ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Grump01
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Grump01 »

Colonel26 wrote:
Grump01 wrote:Simple, east fix, buuuutttt , if it was me in that situation, not so sure I would have come up with the fix......
Slick and better than having plastic pieces.. I probably wouldn't have been smart enough to look online
Don
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

fergusontd wrote:::shrug:: When I was in the Navy, as a Machinest Mate (Snipe) we used tape, wire, or any part that we could alter to fix something. Does that make us inventive or a redneck? ftd
Absolutely.

I learned rigging in the farm with Pa. A Case 6375, grass string, and wire can fix most anything. Throw in some duct tape and you're all set.
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Grump01 wrote:
Colonel26 wrote:
Slick and better than having plastic pieces.. I probably wouldn't have been smart enough to look online
I've found that between forums and YouTube just about everything out there has been thought of. I usually go online to do some recon before tackling a project.
Robert E. Lee

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”