I remember when....

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: I remember when....

Post by jerryd6818 »

One of the old Doctors down home brewed up some kind of concoction he called Goochol (just a guess at the spelling, pronounced goo-uh-call) liniment that folks rubbed on their chest when they had a cold. It would break it up and you were feeling better in no time. The old doctor is long gone and his liniment along with him.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

jerryd6818 wrote:One of the old Doctors down home brewed up some kind of concoction he called Goochol (just a guess at the spelling, pronounced goo-uh-call) liniment that folks rubbed on their chest when they had a cold. It would break it up and you were feeling better in no time. The old doctor is long gone and his liniment along with him.

That reminds me of trips to Granny's house in York, S.C. My mother would always visit the drugstore in town before we headed back to Atlanta and stock up on YDS ointment. A pink concoction made from who knows what. Sold exclusively at the York Drug Store,and it was good for near bout any scrape, cut or bruise.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::nod:: My dad was a milkman and then a longhaul trucker. We always had money and a nice home. I had friends that grew up in the same style as you guys, times were tough back then, but as kids we used to run the neighborhood till dark, and no kid was bothered, kidnapped, threatened or worse.I wiah we could go back to those times with todays kids. Take away cell phones, computers and online games. Give them work to do and let them do the things we did as kids. It would be alot better world. Does any one remember having to take liquid vitamins, I had to and I still remember that yucky taste. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Ferg I never had to take any liquid vitamins that I recall but I do remember on of my favorite Saturday activities was following the creek. I would stay gone all day never had to worry about being kidnapped or murdered. Although I nearly got my finger bit off by a big snapping turtle one day!
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

:roll: I had tonsillitis as a kid and was sickly, that's why I had to take that liquid vitiman ::barf:: .Our neighborhood gang was always toeghter and had fun. We had Grand Lake a block away and always went swimming and fishing. In the winter we would iceskate and go sleding on the ice. Now the lake is contaminated and ypu cant go near it. ftd
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I remember carrying my 22 single shot rifle and a bunch of "shells" in my pocket the half mile or so walk to my grandmothers house. Through an intersection that was busy enough to have a stop light and in front of the elementary school I attended and on to her house where I went to the fields behind and shot ground squirrels. And of course brought my rifle back home never carrying it in any particular way except to never consciously point it any one or any thing. Never had a problem.
Joe
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

fergusontd wrote::roll: I had tonsillitis as a kid and was sickly, that's why I had to take that liquid vitiman ::barf:: .Our neighborhood gang was always toeghter and had fun. We had Grand Lake a block away and always went swimming and fishing. In the winter we would iceskate and go sleding on the ice. Now the lake is contaminated and ypu cant go near it. ftd
Are you still in the area? Next year's Cousin's reunion is in Greenville.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

:D I still live in St. Marys. Were about 40 minutes north of there. My wife's sister lives around Palistine on Et. 36. Her husband is from Greenville.We usually go out to Nebraska in June for the first two weeks to see our daughter.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I remember when men could get their shoes shined at the barber shop. The town where I grew up had an old black gentleman that shined shoes at the barbershop. When he didn't have a shine customer he swept up the hair from the floor around the barber chairs.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

There was a time when the barber shaved your neck when he finished your haircut. He used the same razor on everyone. He would also shave your face with that razor. Now they no longer shave your neck & have a special straight razor with replaceable blades. They can use a blade on one customer and then they have to throw the blade away for "sanitary" reasons. What is this world coming to?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote:There was a time when the barber shaved your neck when he finished your haircut. He used the same razor on everyone. He would also shave your face with that razor. Now they no longer shave your neck & have a special straight razor with replaceable blades. They can use a blade on one customer and then they have to throw the blade away for "sanitary" reasons. What is this world coming to?
My barber still shaves your neck and around your ears, and still shaves faces. He has at least one customer I know of that gets a shave every morning. He uses a straight razor but it's the kind that has disposable blades. He's in his late 50s so when he retires that'll probably be the last of that. ::teary_eyes::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: Barbers would put those razors in a jar of alcohol on the counter behind the chair. When they started a new customers shave they would always use a strop to sharpen it. ftd
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

WOW....speaking of barbers.....I remember there being some ADULT magazines for men to view.....not little kids like me.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

TripleF wrote:WOW....speaking of barbers.....I remember there being some ADULT magazines for men to view.....not little kids like me.
My last barber shop kept the adult materials in the back of the shop kinda behind a curtain. When my hair got so sparse that I just needed a buzz, I bought an electric razor and the bride does it for me. Sometimes we get it done on the back porch and sometimes we get down to basics and do it in the shower. :shock: There is sure no need to pay someone to give me a buzz.
While growing up, the shop I went to downtown was the classic shop of the 1940s. The barber knew my Dad had the best bird dogs in our town and he was always trying to trade me a pony for my Dad's pointer. :lol:

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

A lot of the barber shops here still do the neck shaves with the hot lather. Some even use that as part of their advertisement. There's two different barber shops I go to depending on where I'm at and how much time I have when I can get away for a haircut. Both have the clippers with the hose hooked to them to suck the hair away, and still do the neck shaves.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

"Does any one remember having to take liquid vitamins, I had to and I still remember that yucky taste. ftd"

I did. I was always smallish, started high school at 4'11" tall.

When I was younger, I was diagnosed as "anemic", whatever that meant in 1953. I suppose my blood counts were low. I was given some liquid prescription vitamin/mineral concoction that was a pale chicken poop yellow/green in color and tasted terrible.

It was a big bottle.

I was so glad when I took the last spoonful of that stuff.

I came home from school one afternoon and Mom clapped her hands as I walked in the back door and said, "I've got a great surprise for you!"

I thought she had bought me a gift or made cookies or something.

She gleefully opened the kitchen cabinet and there stood a brand new bottle of those liquid vitamins.

My Mom had a mean streak in her. ::facepalm::

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::nod:: ::dang:: Moms are that way sometimes . I can still remember that taste even after 60+ years! ftd
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

I grew up in the suburbs in a new subdivision just outside of Philadelphia, Levittown, named after the builder/developer, Bill Levitt. Built one of these in Long Island, NY and one in New Jersey but that one was called Willingboro for some reason. Less confusion probably.

In the 50's and early 60's, there were 8 or 10 kids my age just on our stretch of street, give or take, plus a brother just a year younger than me. We all used to put baseball cards on our bikes so they sounded like motorcycles or so we thought. Used clothes pins to make the connection. Mom's weren't pleased about that. The old Delaware canal to fish in, ice skate on and sometimes fall into. I can't complain about my childhood, fond memories.
steve99f
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Steve we did that with our bikes as well but all the kids in the nieghborhood would go up to the local shoe repair shop and have horseshpe taps put on the heels of our shoes and we would have a sparking light show at night to accompany those bad sounding bikes coming down the hill.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

gsmith7158 wrote:Steve we did that with our bikes as well but all the kids in the nieghborhood would go up to the local shoe repair shop and have horseshpe taps put on the heels of our shoes and we would have a sparking light show at night to accompany those bad sounding bikes coming down the hill.
A very popular thing to do during my school years but alas, twas against the rules. Of course that didn't stop us completely.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

We did the cards in our spokes and the taps on our heels too.. When our boys were small my sister-in-law bought each of them a "Big Wheel" tricycle. She thought she was being clever, as these came with plastic extensions that clicked against the spokes, serving the same noise making purpose, only louder. But they came un-assembled, and as I was assembling them I noticed the "clickers" and removed them.

Not having ever heard them our boys never missed the noise makers. But when my sister-in-law came over to see the boys riding her gifts, she got a distressed look on her face and said, where's the noise? They're supposed to make noise! My wife and I both laughed as I told her, "nice try!" :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

steve99f

Post by steve99f »

In summer we mostly wore sneakers if we weren't barefoot so taps were out. They came a little later and for different reasons. And they sure weren't Chuck Taylor Converse sneakers. They were too much dough. If I recall correctly they were Keds or PF Flyers, one or both was a Penney's brand I think. Converse wasn't in the budget with 6 of us to keep shod. Kind of funny now with what sneakers go for nowadays.

There is a lot we all have or had in common coming up.

Remember when jeans were for poor people? That was the attitude in our parents. We weren't allowed to wear them to school until 11th or 12th grade. I graduated in 1970. We had to get dressed up to attend public school.
steve99f
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Boy weren't we some rebels! I can't imagine why we didn't think about robbing the liquor store or raping the next door neighbor.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Ken, that right there is funny. Spoil sport.

You're right Greg, somehow playin' ball or fishin' seemed like more fun. We were real dangerous around 11 or 12 when we snatch a couple of cigarettes to see what all the excitement was about. And to look older of course. In the woods. Outta sight somewhere for sure cuz you didn't want to get caught. Made most of us woozey or sick.
steve99f
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

steve99f wrote:........
You're right Greg, somehow playin' ball or fishin' seemed like more fun. We were real dangerous around 11 or 12 when we snatch a couple of cigarettes to see what all the excitement was about. And to look older of course. In the woods. Outta sight somewhere for sure cuz you didn't want to get caught. Made most of us woozey or sick.
Yep! About the 7th grade I got caught smokin a Camel while hiding out in the neighbor's chicken coop. Sure thought I was smart until Mom wised up to me.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”