What's for supper tonight?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

What's for supper tonight?

Post by Colonel26 »

Deer chili! Bless this little 6 pointers heart!
Attachments
image.jpg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What's for supper tonight?

Post by jerryd6818 »

Cuz, do the spices in the chili cover up the taste of the venison?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I don't know if they really cover it up. It's just good.

You can't tell this burger from a real mild beef, and I'm REAL picky about venison. I will not eat it, or beef for that matter, if it's strong, chewy or gamey.

The processor who did this one up for me does a real good job with beef too. He mixed beef fat with the ground deer, trimmed all the fat and silver streak off, and let it hang a day or two before processing. Open up the package and it's super clean and mild. It's actually more mild than the last half a beef we bought.

My wife uses chili mix, and her own mix of concoction including real Worcestershire sauce this is some good stuff.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Sure looks good.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Jethro Bodine

Post by Jethro Bodine »

double good, I loves me some good chili ::drool::

Every picture tells a story, don't it

AAPK Rules!
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

We eat alot of venison chili, pizza, and stew. My kids could never tell if it was deer or beef. Our season is earlier and deer don't dine on buds that give them the gamey taste. Our Swedish meatballs are a mix of beef, pork and veneson. We have that now instead of lutefisk at my wifes request. Dave
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

djknife13 wrote:We eat alot of venison chili, pizza, and stew. My kids could never tell if it was deer or beef. Our season is earlier and deer don't dine on buds that give them the gamey taste. Our Swedish meatballs are a mix of beef, pork and veneson. We have that now instead of lutefisk at my wifes request. Dave
Lutefisk, never had it. I know what it is, I've seen it made on T.V., but we don't have the bid Scandinavian population here that y'all do.

What's it taste like?
Robert E. Lee
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I've only had lobster once covered with melted butter. People who hate lutefisk (and there are plenty) think I'm nuts when I say they taste alot alike. I've had it all my life for Christmas and New Years along with suet pudding which the English call plum pudding. There aren't any plums in it, but there is suet like people feed the birds in the winter. Dave
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Colonel26 wrote: What's it taste like?
Cuz, read this and your curiosity will abate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

Rockford has a large Swedish community so I know of the existence of lutefisk but fish not being a popular dietary item for me, I've never tried it. Nor do I ever intend to. I might try kroppkakors before I die and I've had Swedish pancakes and tasted pickled herring but lutefisk? No way in hell. ::barf::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I feel the same way about caviar and sushi. At least lutefisk is cooked, although not as most people count as in a way food is normally prepared. Raw fish or raw fish eggs. no thanks. Dave
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Used to love pickled herring, even as a kid, but haven't had any for years. My grandfather, first generation U.S.A. German, born in Lexington, Ky. in 1877, would pickle his own herring for Christmas and New Years.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I still enjoy pickled herring. Never tried to make it myself though. My Grandma used to make head cheese and I loved it. Don't think I ever saw how she made it or I probably would have had second thoughts. Funny what we eat and get used to accepting as normal and what grosses us out by what others stick in their mouths. Dave
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I had caviar one time. I don't know if it was the good stuff (probably not) but I remember it being pretty tasty. But raw fish? I would taste it but I don't have great expectations. In the meantime, you can bet your sweet patootie it won't be on the dinner table anytime soon at my house.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Raw fish is bait, period.
Robert E. Lee
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

jerryd6818 wrote:I had caviar one time. I don't know if it was the good stuff (probably not) but I remember it being pretty tasty. But raw fish? I would taste it but I don't have great expectations. In the meantime, you can bet your sweet patootie it won't be on the dinner table anytime soon at my house.
...........raw anything!!!........ ::barf:: ...........give me some beef brisket or venison that's been smoked about 12 hours!!!........... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...........................
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I flat out love oysters on the half shell but that's the only raw anything I'm gonna eat. I got introduced to them as a impressionable youth and I've liked them ever since. Living as far from the ocean as I do, they're an occasional treat at best.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Phil, being as cultured as I am, I do like good ol smoked oysters in a can. You know along with sardines and nabs for a tailgate buffet!

But raw oysters? Whew, don't know that I could do that. I hear they're so slimy you have to cross your legs when you eat them or they'll go straight through!
Robert E. Lee
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Oysters have gone out of sight as far as buying a bag to eat. When we used to deer hunt with hounds, it was a common thing to have a bag of oysters on ice and after a race, everybody would meet at a cross roads and eat raw oysters. Most fellers carried an oyster shucking knife, a box of saltines and a bottle of hot sauce in their trucks. Oyster shell piles were at most of the crossroads out in the country.
A burlap bag of oysters used to be $6, even less I'm told, now they are up around $50 a bag :( . Plus there have been quite a few incidents of folks getting really sick from raw oysters, so price and common sense has slowed the oyster consumption on our side of the road.
Could eat a couple dozen right now if we had 'em, on second thought maybe we'll just roast 'em on the grill and skip the dr. visit. ::tu::!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

My brother visits a friend in the Panama City area a couple of times per year. He used to take his utility trailer loaded with coolers and haul back a big load of oysters. He'd take orders before he left then charge enough to pay for all the oysters, the ice, plus his gas both ways with a little left over. They were still a bargain compared to what you'd have to pay in a restraunt if you could even find any here.

He hasn't done that since the big Gulf oil spill. Says that oysters are hard to find now and cost too much when you do find them.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Italian sausage sandwich with red sauce, from Sam's Pizza. Mmmm mmm. It ain't oysters (thank God) but it'll do for me.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Keep your oysters, gimme a bite of you samich, Jerry. ::tu:: ::tu::

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Too late. Already masticated and swallowed.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

You know you'll go blind masticating.

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I'll go out on a limb and declare this better than slick, slimy, raw, bottom feeding she'll fish. This was breakfast this morning! Precious got up early, before Sunday School and made fresh, hot, homemade lard biscuits (you know, crunchy on the top and bottom and soft in the middle) and dried up some rabbit back strap.

Mmmmmm, rabbit tenderloin and biscuits. Now that's a breakfast.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Left-over baked ham and squeaky cheese. Boy, am I a gourmet or what? Peanut Brittle for dessert. Mmmm mmmm.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”