First Cup Diner!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: First Cup Diner!

Post by Just Plain Dave »

I can't remember what I got paid in 1979-1980. But it was obviously enough.
Yesterday Academy informed me they took on a better applicant.
Haven't checked all my emails today so far but holding out some hope.
Looking for the magic penny!
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Men!
Overcast this am, weather folks said last night it would be foggy, it just ain't close to the ground :) .
I guess my 1st job not at home was loading hay for a local cow man. He would gather up several of us young boys and we would load bales of hay till we couldn't hardly wiggle. Pay was a dollar an hour, he provided sandwich material and cold water for dinner, that was in the early 60's.
Y'all have a great hump day!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Morning fellers, the bunn is dunn the java like I like it. First job other than farm work was pumping gas and grease monkey$.50 per hour. A pack of Camels were a quarter , RC and a moon pie $.20 good days fur sur. Yawl have a great day and be careful out there. ::nod:: ::handshake::
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

A very early good mornin' fellers. I woke up early and couldn't quite get back to sleep mostly because I am in the midst of doing some sort of treatment to rid my old bald head of sun damaged skin. I been putting this salve of some sort on my head at the dermatologist's direction for about 10 days now. I'll tell you what! My old head looks like raw hamburger meat and itches something fierce. I wake up in the middle of the night scratching. If I didn't need this so bad, I guarantee I'd quit it right now and try to get back to normal. :shock:
On the weather front, we had some nice rain yesterday and the temp is 59º here this mornin'. Sorry to make so much noise stirring around here in the FCD but I gotta do something to get my mind off this mess. I'll plug the coffee pot in and fire up the grill.
Hope you all have a good day. ::tu::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Mornin' Ray!

Man, I got me a bald head.....but ain't goin' to the doctor to check the spot on it....not now anyhow.

It's hot here......only 8 more months ::disgust::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Good morning Ray and Scott, looks like we're going to have good weather in Lebanon Va. with a little luck we will be going home today. We have alot of work to finish though siding and tile on one house and tile and baseboard on another. A good bit of cleaning up also. Wish us luck . Hope everybody has a great day!!

Monte
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Morning all. I'm still basking in the glow of those knives Mike and John gave me. Lunch with my buddies today. Since we've started doing this, I look forward to Thursdays. Rain off and on all day. Baseball tonight. Y'all try to be happy and be safe out there.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. We are having a cool cloudy day but still above normal so I'll take it. I'm not sure we can put together some work for today or not. A batch of windows came in yesterday but we have to get them to the job site. My big trailer is full of scaffolding. The lady that ordered them didn't set up a delivery so here's still hoping. I'd love the day off to work on taxes but my son Jason wants to do windows today. We'll see. Have a great Thursday. _____Dave
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Good morning all. I'm still up to my neck in wind claims from the storm that came through on the first of this month. Trying to get them all resolved before I leave on vacation a week from tomorrow, but that's not likely to happen. They just keep coming. I guess at least that's job security. :roll:
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

Will wonders never cease? Got a call to interview today at 10am.
Shortly thereafter a call for Friday at 10am.
It's for a driver/warehouse position at a fairly large company.
Here's hoping for a good interview!
Looking for the magic penny!
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Fellers.
Back down in the lower 50s this am, supposed to have part of that big front that is just now comin' out of MS into AL, hit us this evening, maybe ::shrug:: . Could use the rain, it gets dry quickly as the sap starts to rise.
Supposed to have some special friends from MS stop by and see us on their way to Jacksonville this morning. And the younger feller that usually helps Miss Joy and I on Thursday is having a heart cath this morning. Another special friend is in Bay Medical in Panama City with viral pneumonia. There's a lot to pray about. ::nod:: Haven't heard from the lawn mower shop about my mower and I've either got to go to Headland, AL or Brinson, GA to get a part for an International Harvester disk harrow. In addition to all this our oldest daughter and her boys are coming for spring break next Monday. Always somethin' goin' on.
Praise the Lord we're still upright and suckin' air! ::nod::
Treefarmer
JPDave, that sounds great! Hope one of these is the one ::tu:: .

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Just Plain Dave wrote:Will wonders never cease? Got a call to interview today at 10am.
Good luck, Dave. ::tu::
Joe
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Morning fellers did not have a chance to get to the diner earlier,sweetie had a early dr.app.I got a cup to go sitting and a waiting reading a ole David Baldacci novel. Jpd hope you get work. Got the grass cut yesterday blew out the bearings on a idler pulley it's hard on ole fat men to get down on the ground to work on mowers, but I got' er done. Storms moving in later today. Hope yawl have a great day and be careful out there. ::nod:: ::handshake::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

bighomer wrote: sitting and a waiting reading a ole David Baldacci novel.
Which one? I'm currently reading one of his King & Maxwell novels.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Just Plain Dave wrote:Will wonders never cease? Got a call to interview today at 10am.
GOOD LUCK Dave!!! ::tu:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Which one? I'm currently reading one of his King & Maxwell novels.[/quote]
Split second.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

bighomer wrote:Split second.
The second in the series, "Hour Game". As I said in a post in the daily carry thread, I like to read a series from the beginning and in order but my library didn't have "Split Second", so........... I had already read the most recent in the series "King and Maxwell".
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Jerry I got turned on to Baldacci just in the last couple of years. I've read just about all the camel club series and a few others. I'd perfer to read them in the sequence they were written but I've just about given up on these. The WEB Griffen books you just about have to read them in order.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

How about Steve Berry, Lawrence Block's Matthew Scudder series, James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux series, Lee Child's Jack Reacher series, Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series, Nelson DeMille, Barry Eisler's John Rain series, Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, Vince Flynn, Sue Grafton alphabet series with Kinsey Milhone, John Grisham of course, Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware series, Stieg Larsson (only three books before he died), William Lashner's Vic Carl series, Charles McCarry, John Sandford's Prey series plus the Virgil Flowers series, David Silva's G. Allon series, Robert K. Tanenbaum's Butch Karp series, William G. Tapply's Brady Coyne series and Randy Wayne White's Doc Ford series.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Damn Jerry!! Have you been sneaking into my personal library?
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Good morning everybody, another day in paradise. Finish the gable, clean up the yard. Then back to NC. Its been a long week! Ya'll have a great day

Monte
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Mornin' Monte!

Debating whether or not I should go to a couple estate sales.......
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

David, as I think you'll agree, they're all good authors. I don't know why you would be surprised someone else reads them. :D

There's supposed to be a knife in the mailbox today, there's a baseball game on TV this afternoon and it's going to be in the 50s and quit raining. How could it get any better than that on March 30th? Y'all be happy and safe on this last day of March.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. It's Friday. Yeah Scott, I think you should go. I wish I could. It's too cold here yet for rummage sales and most of the ones these days are full of baby clothes and glassware. We got about half the window replacement job done yesterday and the material came in for the next job. I'm never going to get my taxes done if work doesn't slow down. Have a great Friday and weekend. ____Dave
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Morning gents, glad to be back in my home after five days in TX. Had a good time down there, ate real good, learned a lot, but a hotel room is a hotel room, glad to be done. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”