First Cup Diner!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: First Cup Diner!

Post by djknife13 »

Good Sunday morning. Not even OH's bad news about bacon can wreck my mood this morning. Yesterday was a beautiful day for a drive (50 degrees and sunshine) to my knife club where I bought 5 knives, 4 that are one hundred year olds and one darn close to it including 3 pearls near mint, a ivory gamblers dagger, and a hunk of Swedish gold (translation-birch barrel knife) and all by really top makers. (Picture in Knife Finds of the Day). We got home early and I still had enough money left to take one of my son's family out for pizza. Then I come home and Miller Bro's had identified a knife I picked up last week and couldn't find a maker for that I thought I had run out of leads on. Sometimes God just looks down on us and smiles which reminds me, Church in a couple hours. Have a great Sunday. _____Dave
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' guys. I'll take a double handful of the bacon, thanks Scott. Hard to figure about the price of pork going out of sight. I may have to start eating feral hogs. Sure is a bountiful supply of those here.
I'm nearly ready for meetin' so I can kick back for a spell.
Hope you all have a good day.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Sunday Mornin' to y'all!
Y'all know what happens when the temperature and the dew point are the same, the fog is supposed to lift about 9am.
Coffee's about ready. Will be time for church in a couple of hours, hope to see y'all there.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

First I've heard of this but then I don't read the news, listen to the news nor watch the news.
“If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.”
-- Mark Twain --

Copied from Business Insider at ---> http://www.businessinsider.com/bacon-is ... ive-2017-2

"Bacon is about to get more expensive.

The country's supply of frozen pork belly — the meat used to make bacon — fell from 53.4 million pounds in December 2015 to 17.8 million pounds in December 2016. That's the lowest level the nation's pork reserve has been at since 1957, according to US Department of Agriculture data.

"Today's pig farmers are setting historic records by producing more pigs than ever," Rich Deaton, the president of the Ohio Pork Council, said in a statement highlighting the data. "Yet our reserves are still depleting."

The problem is increased demand in and outside of the US, according to the Ohio Pork Council — and increased demand means higher prices.

The price of pork belly increased 20% in the first three weeks of January, according to the council, and it believes the price of bacon is likely to follow suit.

However, while shoppers may have to shell out a few extra dollars to buy the breakfast staple, the industry isn't expecting to run out of bacon entirely.

"While bacon may become more expensive for consumers, rest assured the pork industry will not run out of supply," Deaton said."
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Morning Gents!
So, my bacon supply is in trouble and we can't see due to fog. :D These are truly serious problems.
I recommend another run to the store and get a few more pounds of bacon and throw those in the freezer. I bought 2 lbs of thick cut yesterday, I'll go fetch some more. Thanks for the heads-up OH!
Philip, I hope the fog lifts soon for you. I have crystal clear skies here today. I ran all the motorcycles yesterday. Today I'll run the motorhome. I got invited for a week of spring panfish fishing at Shelbyville Lake in about 9 weeks. This ought to be a lot fun. This lake is known for it's abundance of panfish. It also has bass, walleye and pike. Time to get all the gear in order.
Have a great day guys!
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Morning gentlemen, coffee is good this morning. Spent yesterday cleaning out the greenhouse and starting the vegetables and flowers - always a rite of passage to Spring ::ds:: Today is coop and shed cleaning day which puts me miles ahead of where I normally am at this point. Tomorrow I hope to turn over the gardens and clean-out the goldfish ponds - I'm knocking chores down like bowling pins! See you in church later this morning. Peace
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Well if we had all bought pork belly futures, we would have plenty of money for knives. Just my luck! I hope you all have a great Sunday!
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Turn on the pot, fire up the grill and let's get this work week going! OH
Ps Happy Presidents Day - the day set aside so all Americans can buy a new mattress?
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Mornin Bruce!

I'm all in for some coffee, yessir! ::yawn::

Packing and shipping day!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Mornin' Y'all
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning guys. The guy we were suppose to work for this week is in the hospital with blood clots in his lungs. I went to see him yesterday and he's doing better but if the clots don't dissolve with medicine, they will have to remove them surgically. I made a few calls and lined up a different job for today but I Jason and I may have the week off and Jason is having carpel tunnel surgery this Friday so he needs to work before then to pay the bills for a few weeks after when he can't work. Life sure can take some wicked turns but after nearly 70 years I guess that is no surprise. It sure was a pleasant weekend before the detour. Today it's starting out at 40 degrees and rain. That sure could be worse. Coffee's done. Have a great day and week. ____Dave
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' fellers. Got nearly and inch and a half of rain last night and there is wind damage around the area. Not much planned for the day. No mail service so I can't send out knives. Maybe I'll hit the Red Box and pick up a movie or two.
Hope you all have a good day. ::tu::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Morning all.

Greenhouse cleaned - check.
Vegetables and flowers started - check
Guinea coop cleaned - check
Shed cleaned - check

Today I had planned to turn over the gardens and clean-out the goldfish ponds but I think I'm kicking that can down the road a bit, time for some R&R and a good steak dinner with my bride. Peace
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Boys.
This used to be a holiday back when I was gainfully employed :( . Presidents Day and opening day of the last phase of Primitive Weapons deer season in Zone D of Florida seem to always the same Monday. Primititive weapons are muzzleloaders, sticks and strings, spears, clubs and probably pocket knives used to kill Bambi for 7 more days. :)
Miss Joy has a dr. appt. in Panama this mornin', maybe I'll go to the woods this afternoon.
That ol' coffee pot has worked its' magic one more time, sure smells good. Lets go pour a big mug!
Y'all have a great day!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Good morning all. I slept in big time this morning, making good use of my day off. My wife had to work, so not much of a holiday for her. I don't have much planned other than taking my tax info to my CPA brother so he can prepare a return for me. He has to work today too. :wink: Weather forecast calls for partly sunny with a high of 69 degrees today. Time to do a few outside chores I guess. Have a great day.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Good Morning. I don't know who began the practice of calling today President's Day. Federal documents are required to refer to it as George Washington's birthday as they must follow the law as written. Anyway I do think both George and Abe should be distinctly honored. More coffee please.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Good morning my friends!
I won't be getting a new mattress today or getting any R&R but I shall make the best of it. Phil thanks a lot for that reminder about Uncle Sam's payday. :(
Y'all have a great holiday!
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Morning fellers, been spending time at funeral homes last couple of days, waiting now for the clock to get right for a funeral and burying of an ole pal. Hope yore day is good and be safe out there.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Rise and shine boys!!!

Coffee's on!

Got bills to pay today, then.......who knows.
SCOTT

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Morning gents - office work and staying local for me today. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' fellers. Me too.
Hope your day is good. ::tu::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. Small job this morning and the rest of the day is going to be a surprise for me because I don't have anything on the schedule yet. It's suppose to be in the 50's today with sun so maybe I'll just get some tan out on my deck. Have a great day. ____Dave
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

djknife13 wrote: It's suppose to be in the 50's today with sun so maybe I'll just get some tan out on my deck. Have a great day. ____Dave

Yeah buddy......PERFECT tanning weather ::woot:: ::woot::
SCOTT

djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Yeah Scott, I thought you'd like that. I have a little shoveling to do first. ___Dave
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Morning fellers, things should get back to normal around here. Java is good, 58 deg this a.m. going to 70 or so, gonna try do a little yard work. Yawl have a great day and be careful out there. ::nod:: ::tu::

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”