Outdoorsman Thread

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Outdoorsman Thread

Post by TripleF »

Very impressive Philip! I love the outdoor spirit these young fellas have!!

Much respect!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Great pics all. Almost no wild pigs in Nevada. In twenty years here I have never seen one. Not even a recognized species by the Department of Wildlife. So if one is seen, no license or tag required. Only heard of 2 ever being seen and taken here. About 10 years ago by the owner of the hardware. Saw them in his walk in cooler. Other than that, nada. Likely not the best habitat for them around these parts.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

zp4ja wrote:Only heard of 2 ever being seen and taken here. About 10 years ago by the owner of the hardware. Saw them in his walk in cooler.

Jerry
Anybody around there that raises hogs missing a couple out of their feed lot? :mrgreen:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

jerryd6818 wrote:
zp4ja wrote:Only heard of 2 ever being seen and taken here. About 10 years ago by the owner of the hardware. Saw them in his walk in cooler.

Jerry
Anybody around there that raises hogs missing a couple out of their feed lot? :mrgreen:
Possible but never heard of anyone raising them. Around here based on climate and terrain, farmers and ranchers do hay, straw and cattle. Sheep Ranches used to be huge around here when all the Basque were here. Some ranches are hundreds of thousands of acres. There's one rancher that has about 10,000 goats.
Nevada is home to the largest wild horse population in the United States. They must be somewhere else cause I haven't seen one. Seen quite a few wild burros though.
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I took my wife and daughter for a ride down the Tar River this afternoon (84 today). My hunting/shooting/fishing buddy took his girlfriend in his boat - we cruised along and enjoyed the unusually warm day. Saw turtles sunning on logs and a pair of otters playing in the river. There were some water skiers out and plenty of boats with bikini clad girls - it's like June around here. OH
Attachments
IMG_0120.JPG
IMG_0115.JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Looks like a fine day for a boat ride, Old Hunter. Tomorrow I hope to get out with my wife for a few hours on the boat, maybe catch a few fish, or at least see some birds and dolphins if the fish are not biting.

It is like April here. Went to visit my sister today and we walked around her yard admiring the flowers that are blooming a month early. I have a strong feeling that we will get one more freeze to nip all the fruit trees and berry bushes that are blooming now.
Mel
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Very cool Bruce. Looks like a great day. Thanks for sharing.

Felt warm here since sun was shining in Northern Nevada. High of 30 degrees F. Some much precipitation here lately the creeks and rivers past flood stage which doesn't happen often here. Off road in the old Rubicon is even dicey.
Rode out to Paradise Valley. 109 souls spread across the valleys hay farms and cattle ranches.
Saw about 500 or so Pronghorn in a 2 mile stretch. Lots of youngings. Likely a good tag year.
Only place within 100 miles I have seen or heard or Turkey populations. Deer and ground squirrels all over the place. Mighty beautiful scenery too. Great day in the outdoors.

Jerry
Attachments
IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0052.JPG
IMG_0053.JPG
IMG_0057.JPG
IMG_0058.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG
IMG_0064.JPG
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Jerry, your pictures are beautiful- what a marvelous place to live! Enjoy your ride Mel; hope you catch a few. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

WOW Bruce that looks like a day in heaven ::tu:: We won't see days like that till the end of June ::teary_eyes::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Very beautiful photos of beautiful country. ::tu::
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Awesome stuff Bruce! Very happy for you.

My brother in-law mentioned liability insurance tonight for missions......I'm not happy right now. ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::
SCOTT

Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Beautiful country, Jerry! Just seeing those photos makes want to take a road trip.
Mel
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Great pictures, fellers!
Gettin' to see what others are able to enjoy in the great outdoors makes this one of my favorite topics! It appears this ol' Southern country boy has no concept of the term "wide open spaces" ::woot:: however I can relate to the water and the boats ::tu:: .
Thanks Bruce and Jerry!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Scott - maybe you should consider a signed liability release from the parents or guardians of the youth you take on missions rather than insurance. PM me if you need more information
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks Bruce, Garry, Dan and Phillip. Sure love seeing the pics everyone shares of their areas. Landscape in our 50 states is so beautiful and diverse. Being an Outdoorsman, love seeing the posted activities.

Was glad to get out in the desert after a week of traffic and skyscrapers in Guadalajara. Really out of my element there and needed a day of Desert serenity.

Look forward to some pics Dan.

Unfortunately, the world we live in today sometimes Scott.Would certainly hate to hear of a parent whoms child you are enriching through teaching skills, letting therm be boys in the outdoors would come after you over a minor injury as it does happen at times. We got hurt all the time when we were young just "being boys". I was thinking same as Bestgear.

Jerry
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

OH, that looks like a wonderful day out on the water. Very cool!

Mel, sounds like you have some real interesting waters there!

Jerry, I love those pics of yours. That's some beautiful country.

Scott, your brother-in-law unfortunately is probably right.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I'm still waiting for the pictures of those bikini clad sunbathers OH. :lol:
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

bestgear wrote:Scott - maybe you should consider a signed liability release from the parents or guardians of the youth you take on missions rather than insurance. PM me if you need more information
I was told in reference to the "Swim at your own rick" sign that would be similar to a liability release I assume, that any lawyer can get by that in an instance.

Might have to end missions.....who knows.
SCOTT

bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I sure hope not Scott, the young'uns sure look like they enjoy themselves and I know you do. ::tu::
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Another thought Scott. Investigate a liability "Umbrella" added to your homeowners (renters) policy - covers everywhere, even outside the home, from being sued (up to the amount you choose). Actually pretty affordable and cheaper than the separate Umbrella policies. OH
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

philco wrote:I'm still waiting for the pictures of those bikini clad sunbathers OH. :lol:
I just consider those moments as a little eye candy - a bonus to enjoying the river - don't think I'll be snapping any pictures! OH
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Old Hunter wrote:Another thought Scott. Investigate a liability "Umbrella" added to your homeowners (renters) policy - covers everywhere, even outside the home, from being sued (up to the amount you choose). Actually pretty affordable and cheaper than the separate Umbrella policies. OH
Much appreciated Bruce but we have neither because there's nothing to insure.
And I'd need an attorney if a claim was filed so.....
SCOTT

garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

TripleF wrote:Awesome stuff Bruce! Very happy for you.

My brother in-law mentioned liability insurance tonight for missions......I'm not happy right now. ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::
ARE YOU KIDDING ME@#^$#@&*&*&^#@@!###@!! ::cr:: ::cr:: ::cr:: ::smack:: well I'd like ta!@#$#@^&$$~~~@##$#^%$ ::paranoid:: :x :x :x
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Scott that just sucks ::barf:: I have ran into a similar problem when I wanted to lead hikes around local mining areas, which can be hazardous. I found a local historical society to align with and I will use their insurance. Are there any groups of similar interests that you could contact for information? It would be a shame to have to stop... ::shrug:: I wish you luck buddy.

Had a wonderful sight waiting for me this morning. The turkeys are back ::ds:: Here are a couple of big boys guarding the hens!
20170226_084732[1].jpg
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Old Hunter wrote:
philco wrote:I'm still waiting for the pictures of those bikini clad sunbathers OH. :lol:
I just consider those moments as a little eye candy - a bonus to enjoying the river - don't think I'll be snapping any pictures! OH
Just kidding you OH. With your wife and daughter aboard I bet you didn't do much more than sneak a peek. :lol:

They do say discretion is the better part of valor I believe. ::paranoid::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”