Outdoorsman Thread

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
jmh58

Re: Outdoorsman Thread

Post by jmh58 »

zp4ja wrote:I can tell my friend. And you should. Like the prison gate opened after 20 years of incarceration. Insert smiley here (if I used those darn things).

How bout posting a pic of that Mini Trapper you stole from me a few months back next time you carry it.

Seriously, glad to see you enjoying your new found talent and pics.

Jerry

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Will do!! Shhhh.. Don't tell!!! :lol:

Thanks... John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Back on the 16th and 17th of March, we control burned a couple of areas on our place. We've been smelling wood smoke off and on for several days. It's not uncommon around here, just like gun shots, there is always someone firing a weapon or some one burning a pasture or clearing a field, so you don't give it a second thought. Last evening we noticed a tiny plume of smoke coming out of the ground at the edge of the burn.
At the edge of one of our burns there was an old snag of a pine tree that had been hit by lightening some years ago. The biologist from the FWC say most dead trees will stand at least 7 years before they fall, during that time they will provide lots of bugs for various woodpeckers and also housing (holes) for some birds and other critters. The old pine caught fire and fell over and the stump and roots down in the ground have been burning for 12 days. This is the fat lighter wood that TripleF (Scott) mentions in some of his posts.
Here's a couple of pictures where it has burned down in the ground about 2 feet and is still has a flame from the pine tar resin in the roots.
Treefarmer
Still burnin' after 12 days
Still burnin' after 12 days
Flame down in the hole
Flame down in the hole

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

WOW!! That fatwood is a burner!!! John :D

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC03678.JPG
DSC03731.JPG
DSC03826.JPG
DSC03629.JPG

RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Where are those falls located?

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Where are those falls located?

Charlie
NY.. John :D

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Phillip, that's pretty cool about the old stump.

John, you take great pics.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Good stuff John!! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Thank You guyz... John :D

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC03044.JPG
DSC03421.JPG
DSC03821.JPG

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Good pictures John - and I really like that front license plate on your truck! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Old Hunter wrote:Good pictures John - and I really like that front license plate on your truck! OH
Thanks Bruce!!! John :D

RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Bletchfield State Park?

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Bletchfield State Park?

Charlie
Ryerson Station State Park in Southwestern Pa.. The tent shot was July and cabin shot was in Oct of 16.. John :D

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Old Hunter wrote:Good pictures John - and I really like that front license plate on your truck! OH
I agree!

John, you have good taste in Trucks too!!!

Excellent pictures.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Colonel26 wrote:
I agree!

John, you have good taste in Trucks too!!!

Excellent pictures.
Thanks Wade!! I had an 04 with 220,00 miles that I traded in on this 15.. I do like my Toyotas!! John :D

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Was out in the woods early this morning to scout for turkey - season opens next Saturday morning. I parked before dawn near the river, on what we call the low side due to the swamps in the area. I parked up on a ridge where several dirt roads, woods paths, and a powerline cross - only heard two gobblers right after sunrise, and both 1200 yards plus, coming from the east across the river. I moved to a favored spot, on another ridge closer to the river about 0730 and found some fresh tracks, then wing-tip scratches in the sand made by a strutting gobbler. I moved south about 200 yards to the powerline and found a nice tom strutting for two hens. I had to move back quickly after I took the photo (look below the deer stand, just under the pine branch) - you can see him all fanned out with the morning sun lighting up his tail feathers. He was at about 200 yards and closing as the hens were moving towards me. I walked quickly toward my truck, but one of the hens caught up with me. She cut into the woods and I saw the tom with my field glasses moving onto the ridgeline - luckily there was a lot of foliage between us and I got away before the tom spotted me. I spotted two more nice toms working a huge field on the high side - got three choices for next Saturday - but I prefer the woods over the fields, so I will be in the pines near the powerline. OH
Ps when I first came in I scared off a pair of big birds, couldn't tell what they were - coming out I flushed them again - a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers - never know what you will see in the wood.
Attachments
IMG_0311.JPG
IMG_0313.JPG
IMG_0316.JPG
IMG_0310.JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

That's good scouting Bruce !
As I always do for my brother Bruce ...I wish u good luck!
SCOTT

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Bruce, that 3rd picture is great when you blow it up, the sun shinning through his fan, mighty purty!
Like Scott, hope you kill an ol' big 'un, one that's trippin' on his beard. ::tu::
Treefarmer

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thank you Philip - it really caught my attention while I was watching him follow the two hens - early sun really had him looking like a Merriam's or Gould's by brightening up the tail feathers.

Made it out for Striped Bass fishing yesterday - took my Dad and my Brother, we fished one of the tributary creeks off the Pamilco River. Had good steady action; Gar, Bowfish, and Stripers. Good day out fishing with my family - catching, laughing, joking, etc. OH
Attachments
IMG_0345.JPG
IMG_0348.JPG
IMG_0350.JPG
IMG_0339.JPG
IMG_0361.JPG
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Bruce, how come y'all aint got the mud fish, aka bowfin, grinnel, cottonfish, cypress trout, etc....on the filetin' table? ::poke::
Treefarmer

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Good stuff Bruce!! Tomorrow, or is it Saturday....turkey hunting! Good luck!
SCOTT

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Nice pics there Bruce.. Looks like a good time was had by all!! ::nod:: And YES.. Good Luck turkey hunting!!! ::tu:: John :D

Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

OH - that looks like a fun fishing trip! I took my kayak out early this morning for a couple of hours. Very windy on the Bayou and nothing biting at all. Quite a few birds though. I managed to snap this rather fuzzy photo of some ducks, maybe Scaup, as they took wing. Over all, just a glorious morning to be outdoors on the water!
Attachments
Bayou Heron1.jpg
Mel
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thank you gents. Turkey opens here on Saturday morning - my plans are unsettled right now (my regular hunting buddy's wife took ill yesterday and they were in the ER in Raleigh last night). I will be out in the woods by myself if that's the way it works out. But I sure hope his wife (Trish) is okay this morning - for her sake.

Philip, I told Dad that you recommended eating that fish - he said for you to give him a Credit Card number and he would have the next one air freighted to your door on dry ice! Mel, I was talking fishing with a young DW sub-contractor at a building materials expo/dinner last night - he told me he took his first kayak paddling trip last weekend and was going to Bass Pro this weekend to buy one - said he really enjoyed it. OH

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”