Newbie from Sweden

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
sakoblade

Newbie from Sweden

Post by sakoblade »

Hi all!

I live in Sweden and I just signed up here after visiting the site over and over again for a long period of time.
Although not a real collector (yet!) I am a hunter/shooter and also a professional chef so I have a huge interest in most sharpies, but especially pocket knives.

I have also been collecting guns but I am now steering away from that area due to heavy restrictions for firearms over here. Plus it´s an expensive hobby to say the least.

A while back I found a few nice British folding knives at a flea market and it kickstarted my old interest and eventually it led me here.
I hope to be able to contribute what little I know and to participate in a few discussions every now and then!

Cheers!

Jim
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Newbie from Sweden

Post by djknife13 »

Welcome Jim and great to meet you. All 4 of my Grandparents were Swede/Norwegian mix and most of my neighbors growing up here in northern Minnesota were the same, accents and all. Too bad we can't hear accents over the computer. Have a great week. ____Dave
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Welcome here, Jim. We're glad to have you join us.
Please show your knives and guns, if you like, in proper forums. We would love to see them.

I am a home cook and love old kitchen cutlery. What kind of knives do you use in your work?
Joe
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Welcome! It's good to have you with us. You'll find there are many of us who live both guns and knives. You'll fit right in!

Oh, and we love pictures!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

::welcome:: to AAPK! It's great to have a European perspective we can bounce ideas off of. We have several members from the UK and Australia already so a Scandinavian outlook will enrich our forum that much more. We love to look at pictures of knives and guns so fire when ready! :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

We also have members who are no longer active from Germany, Netherlands, France, Mexico, Singapore and some that are still active from Russia and Canada. Probably others I don't remember. So you are very welcome at AAPK.
Attachments
Camillus 72 1946-1950 Bone - Welcome To AAPK-crop.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

djknife13 wrote:Welcome Jim and great to meet you. All 4 of my Grandparents were Swede/Norwegian mix and most of my neighbors growing up here in northern Minnesota were the same, accents and all. Too bad we can't hear accents over the computer. Have a great week. ____Dave
Thanks a lot for the welcome!

Jaaa! You are right about the accents but I suspect the other guys are glad they don't hear us! :wink:

Have a great week you too!!

Jim
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

FRJ wrote:Welcome here, Jim. We're glad to have you join us.
Please show your knives and guns, if you like, in proper forums. We would love to see them.

I am a home cook and love old kitchen cutlery. What kind of knives do you use in your work?
FRJ, thanks!!

Well I have a few kitchen knives such as Victorinox, Global, Mac, Wüsthof, Henkell and a few other. My absolute favourites are two Mac knives I bought in San Fransisco almost 20 years ago on our honey moon trip touring California.

They are a bit worn but I love them!

Jim
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

Colonel26 wrote:Welcome! It's good to have you with us. You'll find there are many of us who live both guns and knives. You'll fit right in!

Oh, and we love pictures!
Thanks a lot!

Pics will come!

Jim
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

gsmith7158 wrote:::welcome:: to AAPK! It's great to have a European perspective we can bounce ideas off of. We have several members from the UK and Australia already so a Scandinavian outlook will enrich our forum that much more. We love to look at pictures of knives and guns so fire when ready! :D
Will do gsmith!

Thanks for the welcome!

Jim
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

jerryd6818 wrote:We also have members who are no longer active from Germany, Netherlands, France, Mexico, Singapore and some that are still active from Russia and Canada. Probably others I don't remember. So you are very welcome at AAPK.
jerryd, thanks a lot!!

I am looking forward to take part in the forums!

All the best!

Jim
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Welcome aboard Jim! ::tu::
I look forward to hearing from you about some of the fine Swedish pocket knives like Eskilstuna knives.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Welcome Jim :D :D

Harold
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

orvet wrote:Welcome aboard Jim! ::tu::
I look forward to hearing from you about some of the fine Swedish pocket knives like Eskilstuna knives.
Thanks Dale! :D

I have actually sold most my Eskilstuna knives nut have a few left and a few in the pipeline.
Will post pics and info in a near future.

Regards

Jim
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

stockman wrote:Welcome Jim :D :D

Harold
Harold, thanks! :)

Jim
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Welcome to AAPK from the Florida Panhandle ::handshake:: !
I'm interested in your username ::hmm:: , "sakoblade", does that by any chance have reference to Sako firearms made in Sweden?
It's sad to read of heavy restrictions concerning firearms ownership no matter where it occurs around the globe.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome here Jim, from Texas. I've always wanted to visit Sweden. Before I retired my job took me all over Europe, from Edinburgh to Athens, Porto to Budapest and points in between, but Hamburg was the closest I ever got to Sweden. I once had a trip scheduled to Stockholm but at the last minute I got sent elsewhere instead. Sweden is still on my bucket list. :lol:

Looking forward to seeing some Scandinavian cutlery!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

treefarmer wrote:Welcome to AAPK from the Florida Panhandle ::handshake:: !
I'm interested in your username ::hmm:: , "sakoblade", does that by any chance have reference to Sako firearms made in Sweden?
It's sad to read of heavy restrictions concerning firearms ownership no matter where it occurs around the globe.
Treefarmer
Thanks a bunch, Treefarmer! ::handshake::

Well actually, my handle has a lot to do with Sako rifles. By the way, they are Finnish, not Swedish.

I bought my first one some 15 years ago and it whetted my apetite to say the least.
I have been collecting the older civilian models and have owned many up to this date but eventually sold almost all of them.

Firearm restrictions make it way too expensive to keep rifles when you own over 40 rifles so I got rid of most. One has to invest in both a safe which weighs from 1800 lbs. and will cost some 3000 USD. When you reach 40 rifles you will also have to invest in an alarm system with seismic sensors etcetera and that can set you back some 10000-15000 USD plus monthly fees.

I'd rather spend that money on something fun so sold almost the entire collection.

I attach a pic of a Finnish made knife (hence my handle) which is Sako branded. These are quite rare and I will post more info in another forum at a later date.

What about your handle? In the logging industry are you?

I'm afraid I have never been to your part of Florida , only the southern parts from Ft Lauderdale to Key West. But I hope to do so eventually.

All the best!

Jim
Attachments
IMG_4201.JPG
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Welcome here Jim, from Texas. I've always wanted to visit Sweden. Before I retired my job took me all over Europe, from Edinburgh to Athens, Porto to Budapest and points in between, but Hamburg was the closest I ever got to Sweden. I once had a trip scheduled to Stockholm but at the last minute I got sent elsewhere instead. Sweden is still on my bucket list. :lol:

Looking forward to seeing some Scandinavian cutlery!

Ken
Thanks Ken!

Seems you have seen a lot of Europe but not the best part! ::tu::

I have good friends in the Austin area and have visited them several times. They have taken me to many places in TX and I just love your state!

All the best!

Jim
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Morning, Jim.
Thanks for setting me straight on the Sako firearms :oops: . I've not had the privilege of owning a Sako, yet.
To answer your question about my username, yes, we are tree farmers but not in a very big way. In the General Off Topic Discussion section, you'll find a thread titled "Your User Name" that you might find quite interesting, a little peek into some folks lives.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

Treeefarmer, thanks for the tip!!

Will check that section ASAP.

Sako is a fairly common band here, due to the proximity of Finland of course and also due to the high quality.

I guess you guys have so many more domestic options when it comes to firearms, instead of choosing an imported brand?

All the best!

Jim
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

sakoblade wrote:
Well actually, my handle has a lot to do with Sako rifles. By the way, they are Finnish, not Swedish.

I bought my first one some 15 years ago and it whetted my apetite to say the least.
I have been collecting the older civilian models and have owned many up to this date but eventually sold almost all of them.

Firearm restrictions make it way too expensive to keep rifles when you own over 40 rifles so I got rid of most. One has to invest in both a safe which weighs from 1800 lbs. and will cost some 3000 USD. When you reach 40 rifles you will also have to invest in an alarm system with seismic sensors etcetera and that can set you back some 10000-15000 USD plus monthly fees.

I'd rather spend that money on something fun so sold almost the entire collection.
Hello Jim!
Welcome! I'm fairly new here also, I joined back in August. I've found that AAPK is full of very knowledgeable, generous members, that love to help us new guys learn about knives. By the way, I own two Sako 75's. Both are great rifles! ...and yes, they are from Finland. They are fairly expensive here, compared to our Rugers, Remingtons and Winchesters.

I see you are a professional chef. That's fantastic! and as I've learned, it takes some serious skills to be really good at it. I enjoy cooking too! and I get to use good knives!! but only in the last 5 years have I really upped my game. I've learned quite a bit and enjoy the challenge of making something from really good ingredients and preparing it carefully and getting the seasoning correct. Do you own or work in a restaurant? or do you have another venue? One of my very favorite chefs, is Joel Rubuchon. I live near Chicago, so we have a few good restaurants here.

Best!
Dave
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

Dave, thanks a lot for the welcome!!

Yes AAPK seems like a VERY friendly place to hang out! I have been lurking here for a while and decided to sign up as my interest in knives has increased over the last few years. And I hope to learn a lot and to contribute whatever I know.

I have been in the food business for over 20 years now and have been working as a cook, chef, manager and lately as a Head Chef on an offshore ship.
But for various boring reasons I am in-between jobs right now and might shift carriers? I have never run my own business but I have been close a few time to set up my an operation for myself. Might do that but it´s getting harder as I get older to do it since it´s a tough job, both physically and financially.

We´ll see what gives? I have a few ideas so.... ::tu::

I have never been to Chicago, only had overlays at the airport but from what I understand the restaurant scene is booming? I would love to eat at Alinea and xoco of which I have heard a lot of good. Alinea is extreme but seems like a fun experience even though I am more of a steak and fries kind of guy. Or BBQ!!

I bet you shoot straight with those 75´s!! :mrgreen:

Jim
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Jim,
I've read Anthony Bourdain's books on being a Chef. It gave me insight into how hard a job it is, if you do the daily ingredient sourcing at the early morning markets, then all the prep, then getting things in order for the service. It's like 18 hour days. Brutal!

In Chicago, I've done restaurants like... The Publican, Gibson's, Morton's, The Capital Grille, etc. The one I want to really try next, is David Burke's Primehouse.

Yes! my Sako 75's are superb in function and accuracy. I handload ammunition for them. One is a 7mm Shooting Times Westerner, the other is a 300WSM. Both are stainless, with synthetic stock. They both shoot sub 1/2moa. The 7mmSTW has taken 4 game animals for me. I haven't gotten the 300WSM version out to hunt yet, to blood it.

All the best!
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment

Return to “Member Introductions”