New to the forum, new to collecting

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
JeffD

New to the forum, new to collecting

Post by JeffD »

Hello everyone.

I look forward to a lot of reading up and asking questions.

I have amassed a collection of exactly three pocket knives of any interest, (a Case, a Great Eastern Tidioute, and a no name Solingen with the Passauer Wolf etched on the blade), and a drawer full of junk. As soon as I learn how to id the three knives concisely I will post some descriptions.

I can see that this could become addicting.
zp4ja

Re: New to the forum, new to collecting

Post by zp4ja »

Welcome to the forum Jeff. Great folk here.
If you would like help with the Case, I will give it a shot.
Regardless, again welcome!
Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Hey Jeff!
Welcome!!

HANG ON! ::woot::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK! Ask away. There are no dumb questions here, and lots of helpful, knowledgeable members to answer. Good clear pictures of any knife you want information on are usually needed to get a good answer, so go to the "tips and tricks" subforum and get knowed up on how to post pictures. ::tu:: http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... m.php?f=98

BTW, you'll get no relief from the addiction here! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard. Post away. Especially pictures.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Welcome to AAPK Jeff. Addiction is an understatement.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Friendly place!

Right now my collecting criteria is real simple. A cool knife with some kind of story I can tell, either about the brand, about the knife, or about my life with the knife. I am sure my criteria will get refined as I go. Also I like to carry and use my knives. At this point I don't want to get anything too nice or too rare or too pristine to use. And like I said, so far I have three of any interest.

I forgot to mention a Buck 110 that I use for camping and fishing. Not a pocket knife, but a good reliable folding knife I have had some adventures with.

I am not confident that some of the stuff in my "junk" drawer might not be of interest:

I have several of those red sided single blade Clauss pocket knives that florists use. The straight (sheeps foot?) style says on the blade it is made in America, the curved bladed ones say nothing.

A Swiss Army knives, one wooden sided with over an inch wide of stuff in it. Too big for pocket carry, and nothing useful enough for the tool box.

A Buck Metro little compact knife I like to carry sometimes.

Two Appalachian Trail compact knives I got at Lowes for some reason.

A Winchester metal frame folding knife I got at Grangers for a specific task.

That's about it from the junk drawer. Soon as I figure out how, I will post some pictures.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you're in good company here. Some of my knives may only get packed to church on Sunday, but they all get used. I'm like you, I refuse to have one that I couldn't pack if I wanted to.

You'll find that there are some die hard buck and Victorinox fans here too. We pretty much like any good quality knife here. We're addicts.

And don't sell that junk drawer short just yet. There have been lots of real gems pulled out of somebody's "junk drawer".
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

I really love my Buck 110. The little Buck Metro I like as well, and most of the time it is all I really need.

The only issue I have with the Swiss Army knife is that its too bulky to be convenient, and except for the blade, I don't need the rest of it. But FYI for collectors purposes I have all the original stuff, the tweezer, the tooth pick, the tiny screw driver that screws into the cork screw.

Of the three favorites, I will wait till I can post some pictures. But I think they are very cool knives. (You experienced collectors may disagree, and I suspect my thoughts will evolve a bit as well.)

So here is a dorky newbie move: I have started eating apples again, just so I can mess with my pocket knife. Who knew this hobby could be so healthy.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Hey Jeff.
::welcome:: ::welcome:: to AAPK. Lots of good conversation, info and knives for sale or trade here. You've landed in a good spot. Great to have you on board!
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Welcome. Two of my most valuable knives came from two different dealers (neither knife dealers) junk boxes and both in the $2000 range. I picked up 3 knives that booked around $700 to $1000 for the three at a gun show recently for $50. This is addictive and can be profitable if you spend the time studying. And it's fun. Glad to have you on board.___Dave

Return to “Member Introductions”