Newbie from Texas

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
Cynthia

Newbie from Texas

Post by Cynthia »

Thought I should introduce myself before I start trying to pick some brains for info. I realized after lurking around this site that knives seem to be more of a guy thing and well, I'm not a guy. I'm not a knife collector (at least not yet :) I'm a fountain pen collector, but have great curiosity when I end up with another one of my grandfathers collection. This time I ended up with some cigar boxes full of old pocket knives and straight edge razors. I will probably want to eventually sell some, but before I would think of thinning out this collection, I want to pull out a few of the nicer ones for my son. I don't think he is the collecting sort, but what young man wouldn't like a few good pocket knives? Maybe you all can point me in the right direction to find info about one particular mystery souvineer pocket knife that I can't seem to find any info on. It's odd, usually can track down at least some info, but this one has me stumped. Tiny (2" closed) mother of pearl, one blade, one file. Very detailed imprint says "Habana Main Explosion Memorial" with drawing of ship. The oddest thing is the mis-spelling of the word Main (should be Maine). Maker mark solingen foreign. German knife sold in Cuba?... Didn't know how to spell? Very odd. Well enough rambling and thanks for all the great info I've already found here at aapk!
Cynthia
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Newbie from Texas

Post by TripleF »

All I can offer is a big WELCOME TO AAPK Cynthia.

I'm sure one of the knowledgable knife addicts, uuhhhhhh members, will be along shorlty after they are released. ::paranoid::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
big monk

Post by big monk »

::welcome:: ::welcome:: Welcome to AAPK,Cynthia,----- I can't help,with the mystery knife,but I can tell you that a picture is worth a 1000 words !!! Someone will,be able to help you more,if you can get a few good photos,of the knife :)

So,you are a fountain pen collector??? ::hmm:: _________maybe you can give me an idea,of value,on this set, I have ???_____I bought it for the knife,and don't have much use for the pen ::shrug:: but don't think,I should break the set ??? what ya' think ??_____Monk :) :)
Attachments
Bexley Pen & Knife   Artist Proof- Set.JPG
2008  Bexly       Artist Proof Pen & Knife Set.JPG
Bexly Pen & Knife Description.JPG
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
gino

Post by gino »

Welcome Cindy. Post a pic like Monk said and someone will tell you what you have.

Oh yeah, Monk after some thought I think you should break up the set. Send me the knife and keep the pen, Ill take good care of her. ;)
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Cynthia, welcome to AAPK!
The Solingen / Foreign tang stamp would tend to indicate a Solingen, Germany-made knife that was imported to England after 1925.
Take a look at the thread in the link below:
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 47#p143347
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Thanks for the welcome!

Big Monk- I would never pretend to be an expert regarding fountain pens. It's probably very similar to pocket knives. The more you know, the more you realize how much you don't know. Most of my pens are American made 1920's thru maybe the 1940's. Bexley is supposed to make beautiful pens with nice nibs. After a little trip to some of my sources, found that they are the only American made (Ohio) fountain pen company. Company was founded by fountain pen lovers in 1993. Bet that is a pretty nice pocket knife because that looks like a pretty nice fountain pen. IMO fill that pen up and use it!!! ::nod:: I personally wouldn't split the set up, but if you really wanted, there would be people interested in taking it off your hands. As far as pricing, it's mostly about the nib. Prices look like they can range from maybe 40 to 50 dollars. This pen company puts out some limited editions and the nib can be gold. Those would run considerably higher. Thats about all I know. Not much... ask me about a 1930's Walh and I could go on and on.....

Am including a couple of photo of the PK in question.
P1010439.JPG
Attachments
P1010442.JPG
big monk

Post by big monk »

Thanks for the info,on the pen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife has been wanting to use the pen since the first day,she saw it ::hmm:: but it does have the, 18K gold nib and is the "artist proof"" set,so,I'll continue to keep it locked away,from her :mrgreen: :mrgreen: _____good luck,with your knife !!!!________Monk ::tu::
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Hey Cynthia, welcome to AAPK. This place has 99.999% of the answers. ::tu::
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

BTW finally noticed that not only is the state of Maine mis-spelled, but Havana is spelled HABANA ::hmm:: Souvenir PK of memorial in Central Park commemorating the sinking of the Navel ship MAINE on February 15, 1898. 266 American sailors lost their lives.
gringo

Post by gringo »

welcome to aapk....

Habana is the correct spelling...http://www.lahabana.com/
we gringoized it in translation...

the Maine is misspelled...probably in response to our changing their capital's name to Havana...

footnote: the uss maine self destructed, due to salt water entering a coal bunker, that shared a bulkhead with the powder magazine...salt water an coal do not mix...creates heat...

took all of spain's holdings in the new world an pacific on false pretext...first american troops into Indochina was 1898...
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

::welcome:: to AAPK.

Glad to have you join us. ::handshake::

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

::welcome:: to the site. ::tu::
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

AAPK Janitor

Return to “Member Introductions”