Remington Dog groomer

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Remington Dog groomer

Post by stockman »

Picked up this Remington R4733, Etched Walter B. Stevens & Son. It is a dog grooming knife.
Do you know who and what Walter B Stevens & Son is?
Stockman
Attachments
My Pictures0127.jpg
My Pictures0127.jpg (87.29 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Remington Dog groomer

Post by PA Knives »

HI!

Being a knife collector and an AKC dog show judge, this one was easy. Walter B. Stevens & Son was a dog-supply company from the early 1900's through the forties I believe. They had inovative products, like "Happy Dog Candy" in a folding container. 114 Chambers Street, Philadelphia Pa.

Nice knife, the name was etched on it for sales reason obviously. Many novices confuse hardware houses, dealers etc with actual manufacturers. In this case it is obvious that Remington made the knife,

Lesson one, very few knives were actually made by the name stamped on the tang.
Just my teacher coming out again.
Multiple Contributions to Knife Magazine ,
Author of "Great Eastern Cutlery: An American Tradition, the History of the Northfield & Tidioute Brands" & "Tidioute: A Town With an Edge"
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Thanks PA, I knew that it was a pet supply co. or a veterinarian related co. I just wanted more exact facts. I like the history of knives maybe better than the knives. Thanks for this I will make a note in my little knife book.

Stockman
PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by PA Knives »

Stockman, Hope my comment didn't come across as rude. :( I know you are well versed in knives. ::tu:: I was making my comment for those that don't know. ::nod:: By the Way, dog on the knife is a wire hair fox terrier and they still use stripping combs on the regularly at the dog shows. ::ds:: I watch closely hoping someday someone will pull one these Remingtons out or a Spratts from England and let me hold it a while. I have yet to own one. ::dang::

David
Multiple Contributions to Knife Magazine ,
Author of "Great Eastern Cutlery: An American Tradition, the History of the Northfield & Tidioute Brands" & "Tidioute: A Town With an Edge"
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

PA it never entered my mind about anything rude, I was just wanting more history. Also it is good to learn that these knives really work, I figured they were just something to give as a advertising tool.

Again Thanks
Stockman

Return to “General Knife Discussion”