New to Collecting Looking for Some Thoughts

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: New to Collecting Looking for Some Thoughts

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. I've found you can build a very nice collection within the price and condition guidelines you specified, by focusing on a specific pattern.

One of my favorites is the scout or utility/camper pattern. This pattern may include "official" knives authorized by the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, etc. It also includes unofficial knives of the same pattern. These were made by almost every American well known knife manufacturer including Ulster, Schrade, Camillus, Case, Remington, Winchester, New York Knife, and many lesser known makers as well. Then there's the private label brands, made by one of these companies but marked as KeenKutter, Wards, Craftsman, Hibbard Spencer & Bartlett, and so on. Other than a few rarer examples in excellent condition these knives can often be found for the price range you mentioned.

For reference here's a link to a thread devoted to the "scout" pattern http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 35&t=12874. If this pattern doesn't appeal to you, the premise of focusing on a specific pattern may still be a way to go - just look around here, peruse eBay to get a feel for prices, and find a collecting focus that appeals to you.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
BBley

Post by BBley »

Mumbleypeg,

Thank you for the info. I do like the scout/camp knives...I have 2 Camillus, 1 Schrade Walden, and 1 Treebrand as of right now
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Above all else, collect what you like. Make an attempt from the start to keep your collection narrow. If your don't you will end up really fast with knives coming out your kazoo. Good luck hunting and God Bless.
moss
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

BBley wrote:Mumbleypeg,

Thank you for the info. I do like the scout/camp knives...I have 2 Camillus, 1 Schrade Walden, and 1 Treebrand as of right now
You already have your collection started! :lol: ::groove::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Welcome! You already have a good start it sounds like.

There is no one way to do this. Some guys collect one brand only. Others collect only one pattern. Some even focus one one brand from certain time periods. Some guys carry only one knife while they collect others that are just for looking at. Others will pack anything they have.

You'll also find many of us traditional knife guys carry a traditional and a modern folder. There are dedicated Kershaw, Benchmade, and Spyderco (my favorite) guys.

Don't over look Victorinox knives either. Most of us love those real Swiss Army knives too. Amazing quality for little money.

Me, if I can't pack it should I decide to, I won't own it. I have certain brands I like, and certain patterns. But I'll go after any quality old brand or pattern that strikes my fancy.

Just collect what you like. And when your likes change (and they will) collect those.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

::welcome:: to AAPK, BBley! I followed a similar track as you did, having gotten into cutlery by way of fixed blades and modern folders (tacti-cool). My addiction wasn't truly realized until I discovered the Barlow (and then, by extension, all the other patterns of traditionals out there). I was hooked after that... ::smirk::
Mossdancer wrote:Make an attempt from the start to keep your collection narrow.
::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::

If only, moss, if only...
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mossdancer wrote:Above all else, collect what you like. Make an attempt from the start to keep your collection narrow. If your don't you will end up really fast with knives coming out your kazoo. Good luck hunting and God Bless.
moss
Years ago I did not narrow my pattern choices. My kazoo still hurts as a result. Today I focus on Scout patterns, Barlow's and increasingly on
EOs [easy openers].
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

::welcome:: remember to have fun. ::nod::

Return to “General Knife Discussion”