Recovered Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Recovered Knives

Post by Quick Steel »

About 7 months ago I retired and moved across country bringing my knife collection naturally. After getting things sorted out here, sort of an on going process, I realized there were a couple of knives I couldn't locate. They were not of high value, but after repeatedly tearing apart boxes and packing materials, going thru drawers for the 10th time etc. without result, it was frustrating. Today I discovered them by accident deep in the recesses of a large closet in a bag they had no business inhabiting.

Here they are, from the top.
- A Camillus easy open - Then, from Hanwei an interesting knife with a swedged blade that cuts superbly. To unlock the blade you pull the thumb studs to the rear. -Next is a little number with lots of Italian flare, from Fox. I am reserving this knife until the day I will be driving something like a Lamborghini. - Last is a Cold Steel Trapper with the fine Carbon V steel. Probably made for CS by Camillus as they used the same or very similar steel. It is good to see these wayward knives once again.
P1010664.JPG
P1010662.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Recovered Knives

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ya gotta love that little adrenaline rush when they pop up out of nowhere.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Oh Yes! I am still high on that rush.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Is that Camillus EO one of mine? Looks like my work.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Quick Steel wrote:Last is a Cold Steel Trapper with the fine Carbon V steel. Probably made for CS by Camillus as they used the same or very similar steel.
Carbon-V is identical to the carbon steel that Camillus used in its #27s/TL-29s, and presumably most or all of the rest of their carbon steel knives. I think we went into some detail in a smaller TL-29 thread a while back and the research bore that out, meaning probably any CS traditional folder with 'Carbon-V' is going to be a Camillus build or, at the least, built with a blade sourced from Camillus.

Glad to see you found some real gems! Especially if one of them is a glennbad special. ::tu::
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

I am glad you found your knives QS. ::tu:: I know that when I moved I had some that took a while to find. I am totally OCD ::facepalm:: when I cant find any of my knives. Those are some good looking knives by the way. ::tu::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

glennbad, ::uc:: Its mine and I'm not giving it back!. Just teasing. Seriously, is it the handle scales that you are identifying? Do you use any kind of a mark on your work? All I have is what you would expect on the tang: Camillus New york USA. To the best of my recollection I bought this off ebay some years ago. Do you sell on the bay? If not, perhaps you did the scales for someone and they eventually sold it. Or, do you have a AAPK store? Name?

It is certainly a nice piece which I like a lot. EOs are a current interest and I do not find them easily other than the large granddad types.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Finding lost goods is a fine feeling. I hope you find a Lamborghini. :D
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Always good to find knives you haven't seen in a long time and thought were lost. I lost my first knife in the mid 1960's when I entered the Navy.It was at my grandfather's house and he passed away. When I returned home the house had been sold and anything I had left there was gone.
Fast forward to 1987 when my mother passed away and I am cleaning out her apartment. I come across a small table that I had in my room at my grandfather's house and inside the drawer of the table is not only my knife(where I used to keep it)but two of my grandfather's pocket knives.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That's a great recovery story. ::tu::
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

Most of us have probably misplaced a knife at some point. It really does get frustrating. Glad you found them. ::tu::
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

I say there is nothing more frustrating than misplacing something, especially a knife, and not being able to find it (or an item you were using 5 minutes ago and NOW it's magically disappeared), and then, ooooooooooooooooooooh yes, then to find it. ::ds::

Glad you found them Garry.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Life is interesting. Repeated, systematic, thorough, searches failed to turn up the items. Then, while not looking for them, they turn up.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Quick Steel wrote:Life is interesting. Repeated, systematic, thorough, searches failed to turn up the items. Then, while not looking for them, they turn up.
I think that is also known as,"Murphy's Law of Perpetual Frustration Part 42" :mrgreen:
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Quick Steel wrote:glennbad, ::uc:: Its mine and I'm not giving it back!. Just teasing. Seriously, is it the handle scales that you are identifying? Do you use any kind of a mark on your work? All I have is what you would expect on the tang: Camillus New york USA. To the best of my recollection I bought this off ebay some years ago. Do you sell on the bay? If not, perhaps you did the scales for someone and they eventually sold it. Or, do you have a AAPK store? Name?

It is certainly a nice piece which I like a lot. EOs are a current interest and I do not find them easily other than the large granddad types.
If it is one of mine, I usually stamp my initials and the year on the inside of the mark side liner up by the bolster. I don't sell online, but I suppose the owner could have sold it. Be curious to find out if it's one of my kids. :)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

glennbad, with a lot of illumination plus magnification I found this on the liner: GT13. I don't know your name so kindly let me know if this is your mark. I hope so.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Glenn, when did you start doing that? I don't think you marked any of the ones you did for me. The last one was the Camillus 23, I'll have to look and see if it's marked. That would be a pleasant surprise to find out it's marked.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Quick Steel wrote:glennbad, with a lot of illumination plus magnification I found this on the liner: GT13. I don't know your name so kindly let me know if this is your mark. I hope so.

That is definitely me. ::ds:: I think I've done maybe 2 knives in that wormgroove. I definitely need to do a few more though.

Jerry, I've been modding since around 2012, I think. I'm pretty sure I've marked the majority of my knives like that, maybe not the very first ones. Some, I do forget to mark during construction, and then it's too risky to mark them after cover materials are on.

Mystery solved!!!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Congratulations on learning the whereabouts of one of your gems. I am honored to have it.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

glennbad wrote: Jerry, I've been modding since around 2012, I think. I'm pretty sure I've marked the majority of my knives like that.
::ds:: Found it. Didn't even know it was there. Had a bear of a time getting a picture of it but here it is.
Haven't checked any of the rest of them because I'd have to almost empty my cabinet to find them. ::shrug::
Attachments
Camillus 23 Modified - Glenn's Stamp Combined.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Quick Steel wrote:Congratulations on learning the whereabouts of one of your gems. I am honored to have it.
Well, I am glad that you like it!

Getting back to the origin of the thread, it is always exciting to rediscover something that you had either forgotten about or had misplaced. I have a pile of knives in my shop that need to be cleaned up before putting them in my collection. They're in small boxes or ziplock bags with a bunch of other knives. Every now and then I'll go through those knives, and it's like Christmas all over again finding one I had got, but then forgot about.

I think I got a problem, but it's one that I enjoy... ::facepalm::
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

I'm still looking in my small house for a Keen Kutter trapper that I used as a kid in Kansas in the 60s to clean fish. I still have a small scar on my knuckle from a slip with that knife. Real bone handles, one big spear blade, one pen blade. I remember years ago cleaning it and oiling it good, but darned if I can find it now....

Return to “General Knife Discussion”