Anyone heard of this???

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
jmam7516

Anyone heard of this???

Post by jmam7516 »

I got this old single blade Jack knife in a lot I purchased recently. The blade just below the spine is stamped CHRIS WOLF. I had never seen or heard of this market before. According to Goins it dates 1920-1930. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this branding and if so is there any collector interest. The knife measures 4 1/4" closed. Blade is 3 3/8". Construction is steel frame, liners, and bolsters with wooden scales. The blade is heavy . . 1/8" thick at spine. There are no markings on the reverse of blade. Also curious as to thoughts about the notch near the tang. Could this be original to the knife or damage or the years? Any help is greatly appreciated . . . thanks in advance, John
Attachments
1490131077699-1740128741.jpg
1490131097400-603240710.jpg
14901311200581535682206.jpg
John
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Anyone heard of this???

Post by treefarmer »

The notch looks like how some of the TL-29 blades are notched, but I guess most of the electrician's knives had 2 blades ::shrug:: .
Somebody will come by that knows CHRIS WOLF.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

That and the Jess Crouch knife are very desireable. Read this thread, especially the post by "nifbuff" on the first page of the thread ---> http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... chris+wolf
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Chris Wolf was known as someone that built ugly useful knives. If I'm not mistaken his blades were hand forged. I have only seen fixed blades he made but I am far from an expert on his knives. I do believe some of them are quite valuable. Somebody will come along shortly that knows much more than I do so be patient.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

You can see where northwoods got most of their blade shape inspiration.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Follow Jerry's lead. I had one of each of the Wolf and the Crouch knives that I sold a little while back. Knives are fairly rare and very collectable. ::tu::
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

These were Schatts and Morgan knives. Both men were associated with the company. If you get one of each you have a full set but that can and probably will cost you a few hundred dollars. They were advertised in the 1910 or 1912 Sears and Roebuck catalog as probably the ugliest knife on the market. Obviously collectors don't agree. They were hand forged in the S&M company and are pretty unique with the deep stamped name for a pull. I assume that if you bought yours in a group of knives and didn't know what it was that you probably got a pretty good deal on yours. ____Dave
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Well there goes my theory about the notch and it bein' an electrician's knife ::facepalm:: , that's some good history and some healthy lookin' old knives!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

treefarmer wrote:Well there goes my theory about the notch and it bein' an electrician's knife ::facepalm:: , that's some good history and some healthy lookin' old knives!
Treefarmer
Yeah mine too Phillip. I could have sworn I saw a fixed blade but maybe I was just looking at the folder opened. :oops:
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jmam7516

Post by jmam7516 »

I wanted to say thanks to everyone one who replied thus far. Some absolutely great info . . . I love the history. I note it was stated the knives had no nail pull. Mine does as can be seen in the pics . . near point of blade. If the blades were hand forged it could be possible the pull is original. Yes the knife was part of a lot of 10 American and Sheffield pieces. And no, I had no idea what I was getting . . . I figured $5.30 apiece was worth a shot. It is an ugly knife but has quickly become the shining star. Thanks again, great info guys.
John
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Miller Bros. has one with a nail nick and feels that it is original to the knife. The one that I had did not have the nail nick(?).
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I had one with a nail nick. :wink:
kj
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I didn't notice the nick in yours until you mentioned it. Both of mine, the Crouch and Wolf are deeply stamped and farther down the blade where the nail nick would be. Does that mean I have several more variations to find before I get a full set? As a dedicated knife collector, my work is never done. My wife hates that.____Dave
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Neither of mine had a standard nail nick, although the Wolf would be a lot easier to open with one. It had a loud audiable snap. The Crouch is so deeply stamped that you can see the edge of the name stamp. The ad is from a reprinted 1905 to 1910 Sears Roebuck and Co. catalog. I paid $50 or so for the Crouch years ago and $120 for the Wolf and was glad to get them for that. You did well.____Dave
Attachments
Wolf and Crouch knives 003.JPG
jmam7516

Post by jmam7516 »

Good looking knives Dave, This style of knife never use to interest me. As I keep on collecting I have come to appreciate the history as much as the knives themselves. Don't know if i'll ever come up with the mate to it . . but at least now I know what to look for.
John

Return to “General Knife Discussion”