Ring opener knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
TheMadHungarian

Re: Ring opener knives

Post by TheMadHungarian »

Great thread, my first grail collectable was a ring turner, I always wanted one and it was 10 years before I got one, it was an Iberson from Sheffield made for Hoffritz. I've collected a few to satisfy my need. I have 1 of the 38 SFO ring turners for BFC and the one that's my favorite is my Schrade Walden Nickle Silver Wurlitzer advertiser.
100_5319.JPG
My Old Man told me when I was a kid, "You can spend your entire life convincing someone how smart you are but it only takes a second to prove you're an idiot."....................You can call me Ted.
TheMadHungarian

100_5288.JPG
100_5287.JPG
100_5295.JPG
My Old Man told me when I was a kid, "You can spend your entire life convincing someone how smart you are but it only takes a second to prove you're an idiot."....................You can call me Ted.
Beechtree

Post by Beechtree »

TMH, that Wurlitzer is an neat advertising piece. I would bet there would be Jukebox collectors who would love to have it!
"A tool is but an extension of a man's hand." -Henry Ward Beecher
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

ring resto2.jpg
ring list 9999.jpg

So I wanted to share a few pre received photo's Bill DeShivs just emailed me.. I sent him this super small ring turn (smallest i have seen)
The celluloid 'faux tortoise' was all chipped and cracked. Bill had never worked a 'ring turn'; But I knew he'd nail it, and he sure did. Bill suggested replacing with a 'non celluloid' as it would just deteriorate again over time. So I suggested MOP, replacements.. and he suggested nickel for the tail spacer. It turned out beautiful! Bill is an artist in his own right! MASTER KNIFE MAN! Thank you, Mr. DeShivs!
If you’re gonna be dumb... You better be tough!
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

TheMadHungarian wrote:Great thread, my first grail collectable was a ring turner, I always wanted one and it was 10 years before I got one, it was an Iberson from Sheffield made for Hoffritz. I've collected a few to satisfy my need. I have 1 of the 38 SFO ring turners for BFC and the one that's my favorite is my Schrade Walden Nickle Silver Wurlitzer advertiser.

100_5319.JPG
Beautiful post as well! Thank you for sharing these.. I just purchased an Ibberson advertising one myself.

Let me know if you ever have any for sale, or trade!

Cheers,

Kirk
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

TheMadHungarian wrote:Great thread, my first grail collectable was a ring turner, I always wanted one and it was 10 years before I got one, it was an Iberson from Sheffield made for Hoffritz. I've collected a few to satisfy my need. I have 1 of the 38 SFO ring turners for BFC and the one that's my favorite is my Schrade Walden Nickle Silver Wurlitzer advertiser.

100_5319.JPG

What is the SFO one look like? I now live in San Francisco...
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

bronze4u wrote:Hello, I am a 'newbie' here. I am currently collecting the old vintage 'Ring opener', 'Ring Turn', ring Twist' pocket knives, or whatever you like to call them. Please let me know should you have any you'd like to trade, or sell? I also have a fairly large collection of other vintage knives, and straight razors. Cheersring turn pic 2 - Copy.jpg

UPDATE WITH THESE NEW ONES INCOMING:
ring resto4.jpg
s-l64(1).jpg
Henckels screaming eagle 4.jpg
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

My 'all metals' only part of my ring turn collection:
ring metals.jpg
TheMadHungarian

bronze4u wrote:

100_5319.JPG

The SFO or Special Factory Order is the pic on the bottom. It's a 2006 Canal Street Cutlery Ring Turner with Burnt Stag covers made for the Traditional's Forum at Blade Forums dot com, #13, 1 of 38 made.
a2006 CSC Ring Opener.jpg
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

Having never seen one in person, I have to ask, What's the purpose of the ring?
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

ken98k wrote:Having never seen one in person, I have to ask, What's the purpose of the ring?
(Twist the ring, the blade opens)
Though I am pretty new collecting the 'ring turns' from what I have read 'online', they were either first made as a small knife for ladies to open without breaking their nails... And, or for the blind? It seems no one person actually knows for sure? I just think they are unique and interesting to collect. Many of them were used to advertise someones Company, or personalized as gifts...

This one was definitely for a man.. The only one I have that is larger than all my other ring turns. With a bottle opener!
ring list 19 Singleton & Priestman Sheffield.jpg
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

TheMadHungarian wrote:
bronze4u wrote:

100_5319.JPG

The SFO or Special Factory Order is the pic on the bottom. It's a 2006 Canal Street Cutlery Ring Turner with Burnt Stag covers made for the Traditional's Forum at Blade Forums dot com, #13, 1 of 38 made.

a2006 CSC Ring Opener.jpg
NICE! thats a really nice Canal Street! Thanks for showing me this...
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

TheMadHungarian wrote:100_5288.JPG
100_5287.JPG
100_5295.JPG
The WURLITZER is nice as well....

Cheers,

Kirk
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

Three beauties just in today!

One is pretty much in Mint condition! Still has packing grease! Sat in a drawer in a wood box for years untouched!

RMS 'Berengaria' Butcher England with massive rings!, J.A. Henckels 'Double Wharncliffe' MINT!, Henckels German 'Screaming Eagle' logo
ring trio2.jpg
ring list 5 J.A. Henckels 'Double Wharncliffe'.jpg
ring list 24 Henckels German 'Screaming Eagle'.jpg
ring list 23 RMS 'Berengaria' Butcher England.jpg
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

These are Simonds Worden White 'Hardware' ring turns.. Here I show the more common version of this knife (top pictured one). And my latest (bottom knife in picture), is an older more obscure version of this knife. Most are stamped SSW, USA on the blades, with slightly different brass handles and oval style rings. With my newest more obscure 'round ring version' It is stamped W.H. Morely & Sons Germany. I believe there are three versions of this knife (hard to find all three). I just purchased this 'round ring' version, so I now have two of the three versions. will post my own photography once I receive it. There is the oldest of the three left for me to find!
Ring Simonds6.jpg
bronze4u

New incoming ring turn

Post by bronze4u »

This is one I just purchased by the Hibbard Spencer Bartlett & CO
I assume it is nickel, or nickel silver maybe? I will be posting my own photography once it arrives. I like heir stamp on tag: 'O.V.B.' (our very best)

Looking forward to yet another nice ring turn knife.
hibbard44.jpg
hibbard33.jpg
hibbard22.jpg
hibbard 11.jpg
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

Just in... I have this beautiful unsharpened ring ring turn knife by: Hibbard Spencer Bartlett & Co.
ring list 57 - Copy.jpg
ring list 26 Hibbard Spencer Bartlett & Co..jpg
ring list 50.jpg
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

bronze4u wrote:Hello, I am a 'newbie' here. I am currently collecting the old vintage 'Ring opener', 'Ring Turn', ring Twist' pocket knives, or whatever you like to call them. Please let me know should you have any you'd like to trade, or sell? I also have a fairly large collection of other vintage knives, and straight razors. Cheersring turn pic 2 - Copy.jpg
*UPDATE:
GRIFFON XX GRIFFON CUTLERY WORKS, GERMANY
Just purchased this beautiful jigged bone/stag? vintage ring turn in near mint condition!
I will post my own photography later, once it arrives.
ring list 34 Griffon Cutlery Works XX.jpg
RING GRIFFON 11.jpg
ring list gr.jpg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Joining the Ring Opener party :) that Kirk started with his cool collection ::tu::

Empire Winsted CT Sterling Silver Ring Opener (3 & 1/4") - Nicely engraved and some cool stamps on bottom photo on the mark side cover... not sure but believe the stamp on left which is a small flag with "F&B" inside may have been the jeweler who made the sterling handle covers, middle stamp is Sterling and numbers on right may be the pattern # from Empire "5467" ...
Mark Side DSCN5743.JPG
Pile Side DSCN5815.JPG
Blades Open DSCN5770.JPG
Tang Stamp DSCN5793.JPG
Handle Mark Side Stamps DSCN5800.JPG
Cheers and thanks for looking!
Lee

Post by bronze4u »

That's a beauty! Let me know should you ever want to sell, or trade for anything, or both maybe? Thank you for joining in!

Cheers,

Kirk
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Kirk ::tu:: ::tu:: ... first Ring Opener in my collection within my line of focus :D ...

Post by bronze4u »

LongBlade wrote:Thanks Kirk ::tu:: ::tu:: ... first Ring Opener in my collection within my line of focus :D ...
I understand Lee! Great post! ::tu::
Should you ever want to part with it, I have many vintage autos you might like to choose from. Lol

Cheers

Kirk
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

TRIO OF ALL THREE SIMONDS RING TURN KNIVES!!!

I now have collected the prized trio! The eldest version is before it was Warden & White, Just A A Simonds. All are USA, yet W. H. Morley Made.
nds group of 3.jpg
ring list 3 Simonds group.jpg
[attachment=0]
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

Finally I have all three versions of Simonds ring openers!
Oldest starting with: "the A A Simonds - Dayton Co.", then "Simonds - Worden - White Co.", and "Simonds Worden White Co."

We all know that feeling of reaching that 'knife hunt goal' At least I hope everyone knows... There will always be a hunt when it comes to knives!

Of course - I still have several other ring turn knives I am hunting for... As well, there are all the variables and unknown ring turns that I won't even know about until I see them. THIS ads so much more to the 'thrill of the hunt'.

I hope everyone finds their prey out there hunting.... Please share anything ring turn related here!

Cheers,

Kirk
ring list Simonds Trio.jpg
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

My group shot minus one arriving later today. 8)
ring list group 2.jpg
ring list group 1.jpg

Return to “General Knife Discussion”