Looking for more AAPK member store help, please

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Looking for more AAPK member store help, please

Post by Bryan »

Ok, so... I need a bit more help with the new member store platform if a few folks could be so kind ::pray::

As stated in my request for feedback on our first video, we are on the cusp of getting our new AAPK store platform rolling.

I'm currently trying to fix up just a few lingering software bugs before deeming everything completely ready.

Some members have been running into a couple issues when trying to add items for sale.

I have made some adjustments & have not been able to re-create the issues as of 3-7-17 on my home computer setups, so I was hoping to find a handful of members who might be willing to try out the process & report any problems you experience.

I've made a test account available that can be used for this purpose with username of "demo" & password of "7654321"

If interested in helping out, please watch the new video below for instructions about how to take the seller's dashboard for a spin...
https://youtu.be/S43MzGSHbpQ

Note that you need to be logged out from your real AAPK account to login with the fake one.

Try posting a fictitious item for sale if you can. Post your results as a reply to this topic. Let us know if you were able to add an item successfully or if you had problems. Post any error messages received as well. Please don't participate if you are using a tablet or phone. We have not optimized the new dashboard for those yet...

If you need a more detailed explanation of how to add a product for sale, visit the following video & fast forward to the 5:52 mark...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ4c6l9AeYE

Many Thanks!
Bryan
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Re: Looking for more AAPK member store help, please

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Bryan, I have ordered from the new store site and it's awesome. Love the new layout and stored info...great addition my friend. Thanks for all you do to make this a great experience. Best Regard, Rocky
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Bryan, I'm pursuing a purchase through the new platform now (and the only "bug" I've found is that your first visit to the new format requires a re-login using the same credentials as the forum side of AAPK - I know this is something that cannot always be helped in these situations with disparate software). I do a bit of web software debugging for my day job and I actually have a few "pay me" tasks this weekend, but if you haven't already worked through your issues by Sunday or early this coming week I will certainly try to log in and set up some dummy listings to help you out.

So far, I like what I see! Thanks for all that you do!
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

P.S. Another observation, just from putzing around as a buyer- It's not immediately obvious just how a message sent to a seller can be reviewed or responses checked. I've got two out but no idea if they've been seen or if I'm missing someplace to check if he's responded. Is it going directly through AAPK PMs or another system, or am I just an eediot? ::shrug::
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Tsar Bomba wrote:...I will certainly try to log in and set up some dummy listings to help you out.
It would be very much appreciated if you would tool around and see if you detect any issues and/or things you see that might have room for improvement.

I've tried to test everything thoroughly, but as folks bring different browsers / devices / methods of operation to the software, I'm finding a few new bugs.

Also,

I've been working on this project for a looong time & I've probably developed a familiarity that makes it hard to gauge how others see it. I'm certain there are a lot of improvementw that can be made...

Best,
Bryan
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Tsar Bomba wrote:P.S. Another observation, just from putzing around as a buyer- It's not immediately obvious just how a message sent to a seller can be reviewed or responses checked. I've got two out but no idea if they've been seen or if I'm missing someplace to check if he's responded. Is it going directly through AAPK PMs or another system, or am I just an eediot? ::shrug::
Currently, the messages are just going through email only. I could maybe send them through the pm system.... Hadn't thought about that until you brought it up ::hmm:: I'll at least change the success notification that indicates that an email was sent.

Thanks for posting what you have & keep them coming if you see other problems or inefficiencies ::tu::
Bryan
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Bryan....could you check on your end and see if my store is
now changed over proper with the new format and dashboard
Thanks
Will
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

stagman wrote:Bryan....could you check on your end and see if my store is
now changed over proper with the new format and dashboard
Thanks
Will
Hi Will,

You are switched. The old format is still active so that you can add items there in case the new doesn't work, but please try the new way when you can. Orders history will also be directed to the new dashboard. You will need to go there to check your orders.

Link to new dashboard...
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/dashboard
Bryan
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Thanks Bryan...I will try to add a new item tommorow at latest
no matter how it goes..will leave ya the results right here in this post
keep up the good work and do not work yourself in a tizzy my friend...
you will get it all under control in due time

Will
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Hey a PS there Bryan....when I clicked on the "about us" store deal...nothing
but my dashboard came up....no info like the old format...so for some reason
that part is not transfering over to the new store setup, ya could have a minor glitch there

Will
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Bryan
I listed several concerns and a coulpe of bugs in the new system
in the Store Owners forum...check em out and please reply

Will
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Unable to contact/email seller r/t a knife purchase. Store shows no history of several purchases. Knifeacholic's
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

AREMINGTONSEDGE wrote:Unable to contact/email seller r/t a knife purchase. Store shows no history of several purchases. Knifeacholic's
Hi Rocky,

Can you clarify what happened? Are you saying you made a purchase that didn't get recorded & now you can't contact the seller?

I just checked the records. They're showing that you made 1 purchase on the 11th... Is that incorrect?
Bryan
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Sorry for the delay Bryan. I actually made 1 purchase from Ray and 2 purchases from Steve P. When I tried to email Steve, I would hit send and an error message came up and the email was encrypted. I did this several times and finally gave up. The purchases from Steve do not show up in my history and they were recent purchases. Thanks
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

AREMINGTONSEDGE wrote:Sorry for the delay Bryan. I actually made 1 purchase from Ray and 2 purchases from Steve P. When I tried to email Steve, I would hit send and an error message came up and the email was encrypted. I did this several times and finally gave up. The purchases from Steve do not show up in my history and they were recent purchases. Thanks
Ahh... Thanks for the clarification. I'm 99% certain I know what happened here. I think you were the victim of bad timing. I changed the email delivery method a while back & it broke down on us for a few hours. Any program that tried to send email broke as well. The programs would partially run until the email sending process started & that would kill them ::disgust::

It looks like your 2 orders from Steve didn't get recorded as sales on the AAPK system because the program didn't execute that portion of the code. Naturally emails through the contact forms were not being sent & couldn't be sent while this was happening either. Errors messages were generated instead ::facepalm::

Were you able to get with Steve & get the deal done? I'll be glad to assist you in that if necessary.

Best,
Bryan
Bryan
AREMINGTONSEDGE

It won't be necessary I have products in hand and am well satisfied. Once again thank you for a great forum. I love the new store sites and the new set up in general, the downside...this will lead to more knife purchases! ::facepalm::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Just reading through this thread for something to do. When you mentioned notifications through PMs, it suddenly it hit me. "Do you have to be a member of AAPK to buy product through the store system?"
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

jerryd6818 wrote:Just reading through this thread for something to do. When you mentioned notifications through PMs, it suddenly it hit me. "Do you have to be a member of AAPK to buy product through the store system?"
No... As things stand now, only sellers have to be members. Buyers can be members or guests, but must be members to submit offers when available, leave feedback, & have records of past purchases available through their AAPK account.
Bryan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks. Makes perfect sense.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I will offer a couple observations now, as this week has gotten busy and is getting away from me. The cookie to hold onto the login session doesn't seem to be persistent between browser sessions, which is a little strange (could be for security reasons, though?). The end result is that a forum user might see an interesting knife go by, click the listing, try to add it to the cart or watchlist, and has to log back in to complete any of those operations. It might be nicer if it remembered you for a day or two, I think.

This is compounded by the fact that when you use the "log in" link, either at the top of the page or in the watchlist's popup error message, it redirects you to a landing page "Start Shopping", etc. instead of taking you back to where you were (if, in fact, you landed there). I would think that, if we're going to need to enter logins each day/session, that the login might want to then redirect to the referring page where the add to cart/watchlist function has to be repeated to actually make it happen. It reduces what was a surprising number of steps, and since some stores don't react too well to hitting the Back button a bunch of times, some browsers get into the habit of not using it. That means you then have to go hunt down the knife that interested you all over again.

Aside from that, and since I have yet to do a dummy listing or a purchase under the new system, I haven't observed anything else out of sorts. Just wanted to let you know for thoroughness's sake.
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Tsar Bomba wrote:I will offer a couple observations now, as this week has gotten busy and is getting away from me. The cookie to hold onto the login session doesn't seem to be persistent between browser sessions, which is a little strange (could be for security reasons, though?). The end result is that a forum user might see an interesting knife go by, click the listing, try to add it to the cart or watchlist, and has to log back in to complete any of those operations. It might be nicer if it remembered you for a day or two, I think.

This is compounded by the fact that when you use the "log in" link, either at the top of the page or in the watchlist's popup error message, it redirects you to a landing page "Start Shopping", etc. instead of taking you back to where you were (if, in fact, you landed there). I would think that, if we're going to need to enter logins each day/session, that the login might want to then redirect to the referring page where the add to cart/watchlist function has to be repeated to actually make it happen. It reduces what was a surprising number of steps, and since some stores don't react too well to hitting the Back button a bunch of times, some browsers get into the habit of not using it. That means you then have to go hunt down the knife that interested you all over again.

Aside from that, and since I have yet to do a dummy listing or a purchase under the new system, I haven't observed anything else out of sorts. Just wanted to let you know for thoroughness's sake.
Hi Tony,

Much appreciated. I'll put the issues you brought up on my list of things to fix right away ::tu:: Very helpful!
Bryan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I noticed that once I got into the stores, the back button didn't work.

BTW, I have no trouble staying logged in from session to session. I think the last time I had to log in was weeks ago.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

jerryd6818 wrote:BTW, I have no trouble staying logged in from session to session. I think the last time I had to log in was weeks ago.
Even after closing and then reopening a browser? In Firefox, at least, and including tonight, I've had to log in to save a knife to my wish list every single time.

I think this also happens in Chrome but I have a lot of extensions in it so I use FF to test. I'll test some scenarios this week and see if I can find any patterns.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”